Author Topic: Greetings from a newbie and a question if anyone is around  (Read 2273 times)

Greetings from a newbie and a question if anyone is around
« on: April 01, 2021, 01:54:19 PM »
Hi all

Made me laugh reading half of these hello posts, they could all be from me! I'm based in London, UK. Keen amateur guitarist/bass player. Getting on a bit... Got a bedroom studio/office, love writing and recording - the drums (and my voice but hey ho) was always the missing link. My best mate is a drummer so I've mucked around on his acoustic kit from time to time so knew I had the bare essentials but to my shame I never paid that much attention to the drums, as long as they were nailing the groove I was happy.

I decided to get some e-drums for the studio and did it thinking I'll get the best, of the cheapest basic sets around for the money, not go silly. So I went for the Turbo mesh and quite quickly regretted it, there is an inherent problem with the hi-hat volume and also the closed hi-hat sound goes missing when the drums are used as a midi controller on a DAW. I've hunted around for solutions but there don't appear to be any.

So what followed was a series of rash decisions that I am still trying to fix. Firstly I was looking through ebay and came across a Nitro drum module, took a punt on it and found out it worked for all except the kick drum - i found out this was because the turbo uses an isolated pedal rather than a pedal with a pad. So back to ebay and I got a pedal and the nitro pad tower. Then I realised that the nitro has a dual zone snare - fantastic - now I can get a rim shot sound - back to ebay - you're getting the picture now! Then I started thinking - all the connections for the turbo are TS, where the nitro will have some TRS for the dual zones.

I have been unable to find a nitro cable snake, I've ordered a couple of TS - TRS adaptors but I am wondering if they will do the trick? If not, how to I go about messing with the turbo cable snake to get it to work?

Many thanks in advance for your help! All the best, Andy

Offline Chaser

Re: Greetings from a newbie and a question if anyone is around
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 03:02:05 PM »

I decided to get some e-drums for the studio and did it thinking I'll get the best, of the cheapest basic sets around for the money, not go silly. So I went for the Turbo mesh and quite quickly regretted it, there is an inherent problem with the hi-hat volume and also the closed hi-hat sound goes missing when the drums are used as a midi controller on a DAW. I've hunted around for solutions but there don't appear to be any.

The Turbo module (Medeli DD401) is very limited..trigger settings are non-existent , you have to do all the adjustments in the DAW/software
which won't help as much as actually setting up the module first which is normally the procedure

There is no closed Hi Hat sound on the Turbo Module..only open,pedal and splash....the link above will take you to a more "in-depth" manual.The Turbo User Guide is vague and doesn't list the MIDI mapping...here is what the Medeli DD401 lists

Kick - 36
Snare - 38
Tom1 - 48
Tom2 - 45
Tom3 - 43
Ride - 51
Crash - 49
HiHat O - 46
HiHat Pedal - 44
Splash - 21

I have been unable to find a nitro cable snake, I've ordered a couple of TS - TRS adaptors but I am wondering if they will do the trick? If not, how to I go about messing with the turbo cable snake to get it to work?

Many thanks in advance for your help! All the best, Andy

TS to TRS won't work..not possible to add a zone to a single zone cable.The DB25 Harnesses are normally not interchangeable between drum models...DD501..DD512..DD650 etc and are probably pinned differently..

UK Ebay...US Seller that ships World Wide.. has sold 60..2 left

NITRO TRIGGER/WIRING HARNESS

The Nitro Module is based on the Medeli DD512

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 05:02:06 PM »
Hi Chaser, many thanks for your reply and insight. You kinda confirmed my suspicions, so I bit the bullet and ordered the snake from the US.

I'm going to try to not think about how much money I would have saved if I had just gone for the Nitro in the first place. Instead I'll put it down to a learning experience and focus instead on the joy that being able to sit down and instantly play the drums, almost silently, at the press of a button brings!

So pleased I found this forum! Will engage as much as I can..

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 06:36:26 PM »
Hi Chaser, many thanks for your reply and insight. You kinda confirmed my suspicions, so I bit the bullet and ordered the snake from the US.

I'm going to try to not think about how much money I would have saved if I had just gone for the Nitro in the first place. Instead I'll put it down to a learning experience and focus instead on the joy that being able to sit down and instantly play the drums, almost silently, at the press of a button brings!

So pleased I found this forum! Will engage as much as I can..

One other thing...and you are going to hate hearing it..the Turbo and Nitro use different size Hi Hat Controller cables/pedals....
The DB25 harness for the Nitro uses a TRS 1/8" (3.5mm) which is a V2 (DMHat)Hi hat pedal.
You can zoom in on the sellers photo and confirm..

I see a number of sellers offering the pedal with a 1/4" (6.35mm) TRS cable and a 1/4" (6.35mm) to 1/8"(3.5mm) TRS adapter..and listing Modules that never used a TRS cable... Here is an example

Here is a V2 is from the same seller you purchased from ..and the Turbo pedal here  the pedal you have is probably 1/4"(6.35mm).
You could try an 1/8"(3.5mm) to 1/4"(6.35mm) stereo adapter and see if your pedal will work.

I haven't had the opportunity of owning/taking the V2 apart and confirm what the actual difference is and Alesis has never responded , most pedals are TS though I have seen modules using a TRS cable the pedal has a resistor inside on the ring.
I don't know why Alesis did this other than they may have purposely changed the input size because the Nitro/Surge modules also have 1/2 open (as did the DM7X which the Nitro replaced,but the DM7X used the Realhat continuous/variable pedal...confused yet?) where as the DMHat is normally open/closed only...MIDI MAP Attached
If you don't want to chance it you could ask the seller to combine shipping and sell the other one from the Turbo kit

EDIT:
Added Links..MIDI MAP
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 07:57:38 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 07:33:38 AM »
Thanks so much Chaser for your considered and detailed advice. The snake is showing as dispatched already (although more likely this just means label created). I'll take a chance with an adaptor, if it works would I be right in thinking it would be with limited functionality compared to the correct one? Also (and sorry for the constant interrogation) are the hi-hat and cymbals (thinking of the choke for example, which doesn't feature in the turbo) different between the 2 models?

I think my loss is going to be my drummer mate's gain. His wife has been somewhat 'resistant' to him getting edrums to practice on. This way we will be able to introduce them by stealth, bit by bit 😁

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 09:21:14 AM »
Thanks so much Chaser for your considered and detailed advice. The snake is showing as dispatched already (although more likely this just means label created). I'll take a chance with an adaptor, if it works would I be right in thinking it would be with limited functionality compared to the correct one? Also (and sorry for the constant interrogation) are the hi-hat and cymbals (thinking of the choke for example, which doesn't feature in the turbo) different between the 2 models?

I think my loss is going to be my drummer mate's gain. His wife has been somewhat 'resistant' to him getting edrums to practice on. This way we will be able to introduce them by stealth, bit by bit

The Turbo Mesh Kit has all 10" Cymbals and doesn't indicate any "with choke".

The 10" Cymbals are single zone and 2 versions..single zone cymbal...single zone cymbal with choke.They are usually labeled underneath..the 7 dots on top near the rim is the "membrane switch"..if there is one installed.

The Nitro Mesh Kit has one crash input "with choke"..

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 03:56:16 PM »
I see an eBay purchase of a nitro crash in my future!

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 09:36:38 AM »
Before you go any further... why not purchase a whole Nitro Kit?  You could then sell your extras.

You can get a whole Nitro Kit brand new for $350 or so... then you can sell off your Turbo kit w/extra parts.

I have a spare 14" 3-zone cymbal here that would work as a single-zone w/choke but it would be a waste for you otherwise... the other two zones won't work with the Nitro (yes,  I learned the hard way).

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 04:37:14 PM »
Hi FrizzleFried, I think the ship has sailed on that option now, realistically. I should have returned the turbo to the vendor shortly after receipt and used it as credit against a nitro. I now have almost a full nitro spec bar chokeable crash and hi hat pedal.

Am based in UK by the way..

I could recoup some funds by selling the extra stuff I am left with but I will probably use the old turbo snare as an additional tom/voice and give the turbo module, cable snake, kick pedal (and probably hi hat pedal, crash at a later date) to my drummer mate. He can use it as a base for his stealth practice kit.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 04:21:37 PM »
Hi All,

Thought I would update on progress and also note some of my thoughts/findings in case it helps anyone else searching for answers:

1. If you are thinking of buying the Turbo my recommendation is you pay the 25% extra and get the nitro. The Turbo module isn't fit for purpose IMHO. The HiHat is too quiet and there is no way of adjusting it (or anything else for that matter). This wouldn't be so bad if the Turbo was a decent midi controller, so you could rely on the flexibility of a drums VST via a DAW. But here too it fails as there doesn't appear to be a way to register a closed HiHat sound. There may be but I gave up looking after a lengthy search.

2. Upgrading the Turbo to a Nitro isn't practical or economical (not that Alesis have said it is). They weren't designed with that in mind.

In saying that, that is what I have done and while it was needlessley expensive and time consuming I can at least say I am now happy with the setup and have learnt a lot.

I think the only thing I am missing now it the correct HiHat pedal, I used a 1/4 - 1/8 adapter with the turbo pedal and I have the same functionality that I had with the turbo. That is an open sound, closed sound and the sound of it closing (for want of a better way of explaining!) I think I am missing a half closed sound but it's not an issue at the mo. I think I will get something like the goedrum kit HiHat once I get more proficient.

The used dual zone snare and cymbal with choke I bought work perfectly and I have plugged the old cymbal and snare into the additional ports. Right now I am inspired enough to put in the regular practice and start the long journey to becoming a half decent bedroom drummer!

All that kit on the turbo frame is pretty packed in but it's working for me (probably helps that I know no better!) As has been mentioned elsewhere on here the nitro frame is thinner than the turbo, got a new generic cymbal rack and stand for just £15 from gear4music which was good value and works perfectly. And a couple of turbo clamps cheap off Ebay. Thanks again Chaser for all your help, I will post a pic of the setup in the next day or so.

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 12:32:20 PM »

[quote a His wife has been somewhat 'resistant' to him getting edrums to practice on. 
[/quote]

If your significant other has to dictate what you can and can't do.. is not like he is going out drinking with his buddies is just drums and quiet drums and he is staying in the house... I would fire that wife... a nagging wife is like buying a house with an HOA you have to live with all the restrictions and gain nothing.
Too old to put up with someone trying to kill my little bit of happiness. Lucky for me my wife is very supportive.