Author Topic: Help! Second hand DM10 teething problems...Warning: Edrum Newbie! Be kind :)  (Read 722 times)

Hello fellow DM10’ers

I just signed up to Alesis Drummers in the hope I could get some help and guidance on getting started with my new (second hand) DM10 kit.  Please see my introduction post in the lobby to learn more about me and my situation.

I have just set the thing up last night and already hitting a brick wall with what a[[ears to be a number of problems.

1) I get an error on startup “CAlibration Fail”.  Have looked on the forum but everyone seems to be suggesting power supply issue.  I have checked and the power suppl is the correct one for this kit...9v etc.  Although I can escape this by hitting OK, and the kit works there are a few other issues I’d like to get around

2) I seem to have drums being triggered without being hit.There is a very faint Bass drum that sounds every now and again without hitting anything

3) I’m getting muted hits on some drums and seem to have to be really accurate with hit and rebound to get the rack toms to sound without triggering the second zone (which sounds louder then the first zone - if that makes any sense)

4) Sometime whenI hit one drum, another is triggered.  Is this called cross talk?

That’s it for now but I’m sure there are more issues...just cant remember them.  I will add to this thread as we get going.

Finally, i expect all my issues might be sorted out once I can get the calibration to succeed on startup but to be honet IU have no idea.  I’m a complete newbie to this and have no idea where to start once I’ve plugged in and switched on.  Clearly there are a lot of settings to control but I would have liked to be able to play the thing straight off the bat.

If anyone knows how to help at all or can point me in the direction of correct resources it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I can't help with the startup error but it sounds like all your other issues just need some settings tweaking.

Is it an original DM10? Here is a link that runs through the settings: https://alesis.com/kb/article/1560#cross-talk

You should be able to take care of everything with adjustments to threshold and cross-talk.
I didn't know this but it looks like the DM10 has ZoneXTalk which may take care of issue #3.

"ZoneXtalk - affects how likely a dual-zone trigger is to cause crosstalk upon itself (ie - the Ride bell and Ride bow)."

But play around with threshold too for drums being triggered without being hit. Threshold will make it so nothing will trigger without a certain amount of force.
If I have the threshold setting on my bass drum set too low, it will actually trigger a hit when the beater leaves the head. I have mine set to 11.
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

Offline Chaser

Hello fellow DM10’ers

I just signed up to Alesis Drummers in the hope I could get some help and guidance on getting started with my new (second hand) DM10 kit.  Please see my introduction post in the lobby to learn more about me and my situation.

I have just set the thing up last night and already hitting a brick wall with what a[[ears to be a number of problems.

1) I get an error on startup “CAlibration Fail”.  Have looked on the forum but everyone seems to be suggesting power supply issue.  I have checked and the power suppl is the correct one for this kit...9v etc.  Although I can escape this by hitting OK, and the kit works there are a few other issues I’d like to get around

2) I seem to have drums being triggered without being hit.There is a very faint Bass drum that sounds every now and again without hitting anything

3) I’m getting muted hits on some drums and seem to have to be really accurate with hit and rebound to get the rack toms to sound without triggering the second zone (which sounds louder then the first zone - if that makes any sense)

4) Sometime whenI hit one drum, another is triggered.  Is this called cross talk?

That’s it for now but I’m sure there are more issues...just cant remember them.  I will add to this thread as we get going.

Finally, i expect all my issues might be sorted out once I can get the calibration to succeed on startup but to be honet IU have no idea.  I’m a complete newbie to this and have no idea where to start once I’ve plugged in and switched on.  Clearly there are a lot of settings to control but I would have liked to be able to play the thing straight off the bat.

If anyone knows how to help at all or can point me in the direction of correct resources it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Typically the "Calibration Fail" error is the Crash cymbals being mixed up on input 7 and 11
DM10 Calibration Fail

You mentioned in your other post you had (2) 10" Crash Cymbals and a 10" Hi Hat
The original DM10 Kits including the DM10 Studio never came with 10" Crash cymbals or Hi Hat , 10" cymbals came on later model kits so double check and make sure they are in fact DMPad 12" (you may have measured wrong) and check the Calibration link.

You also mention in your other post that mesh heads were put on.
Did the previous owner do a complete mesh conversion?..or just put mesh heads on.If a mesh conversion was the Module updated for mesh triggers?
If just mesh heads were put on there will be all kinds of triggering problems or if the mesh conversion was done but the module was never updated there will be some issues.
You need to check the firmware versions in the module

DM10 – Final Firmware Updates Mesh Kits [posted 9/22/2014]
DM10 Updater 1.00
DM10_boot_v1.00h.syx
DM10-app-v1.00s.syx
DM10_triggers_V1.00a.syx (use with real hat pedal)
DM10_triggers_V1.01b.syx (use with Alesis Pro-X hi hat)
DM10_sound_rom-V1.03.syx