Author Topic: My DM10 Studio Mesh Kit  (Read 2965 times)

My DM10 Studio Mesh Kit
« on: January 24, 2016, 07:52:33 PM »
Just thought I would post my current setup.

DM10 Studio Mesh kit
Superior Drummer 2.0 with some of the current kits ( Drum kit from Hell, Americana, Rock, Rock solid, Blues, Pop, The Classics, Nashville, Vintage rock, Claustrophobic and Funk masters)  for the program.
Dedicated computer for Superior Drummer 2.0 running Windows 7 ultimate, P4 2.8Mhz, 4gig ram, 120gig HD
Dedicated computer for Avid Pro tools 11 running Windows 7 ultimate, AMD FX 8350 4.0Mhz processor, 8gig ram, (2) 1 Terribyte hard drives.
AKG K240 headphones
Harbinger l502 mixer
Yamaha yst-sw100 sub and NS-A325 main speakers.
Any questions feel free to ask.

Wallpaper.........Priceless.....Umm...NO!!!!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 06:17:36 PM by Drum key »

Re: My DM10 Studio Mesh Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 06:18:12 PM »
Decided to change the shell covers from black to green. Just wanted something different from the stock black shells.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 10:04:23 PM »
Hey, now we're talkin'!! Hahaha, looks great and matches the wallpaper  8)  I like the wraps. So do you have modified shells or are yours just extra deep? Seem like about 2" or so. Mine don't show as much of the veneer trim I put on so it's not as visible but you've got a more bright colour so maybe that's also why it shows better. I think next weekend i'm gonna have to try the blue sparkle border roll that I bought.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 09:36:49 PM »
Alan -

You're the reason for doing the shells in the first place, after reading your post! I think the color just makes the shells look a bit larger and they are just standard shells. I just bought a sheet (12in X 36in) of vinyl and cut strips to the correct width, length and wrapped the shells. Very easy to do.  OMG - the wall paper, thats next.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 04:46:17 PM by Drum key »

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 08:36:54 PM »
Finally got the mixer mounted on the stand. Now I can control the volume of the drum kit and music separately. That makes things so much easier to have the mixer  mounted on the stand. If I could sing I would add a mic.... maybe when no one is home I might connect one, so I could sing my guts out, like when driving in the car singing to your favorite song and no one else can hear.  :D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:41:01 PM by Drum key »

Offline AlanK

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 08:47:52 AM »
How did you mount the mixer? Did you attach one of those module mounts to it and used an extra clamp? I've got my mixer and audio interface sitting over on a laptop stand.. I can reach it but there's a lot of twist to the left to get at it. Hey, I was staring at my pads last night, thinking damn, I know for sure I don't see as much of my veneer strips as you have with that green trim..I'm sure you've got slightly deeper shells or mine are a shallower issue, I heard people talking about two versions.. have a look again at mine.. seems the lug bolts are shorter, and there's like an inch of the wood trim showing whereas yours looks more like 1 1/2 or 2? Dang! Now I really want the new Strike Pro..hahahaha
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 06:14:47 PM »
Alan -

I took the cost effective approach to mount the mixer and keep things simple. I did not want to pay 25.00 for a mount so, I took sheet metal and cut it down to a usable size, drilled 2 holes in the sheet metal to feed the adjustable hose clamp through it. Because the mixer is light, weight wise I took 2 strips of velcro to secure it to the metal plate. Once that was done, I mounted it to the drum rack. I did use a piece of rubber in between the adjustable hose clamp and the rack to keep it from moving and protect the rack from scratches. I got tired of reaching down where I had it on top of the computer. This simple modification was less than 5.00

The depth of your shells are shorter than mine. Mine are about 4 inches tall approximately.

Yeah, I want the strike kit also. When it finally reaches the stores, how many people are going to sell or trade in their old kits for credit towards the strike kit? This is where my budget minded thought comes into play. At Guitar Center they give credit on used equipment towards the purchase of a new product. In turn the old equipment goes on sale as used and you can also get them to lower the asking price on that used equipment. Never buy at the asking price on used music equipment, it is always negotiable.

Im hoping that a DM10X studio mesh kit with the larger 10 inch heads will be traded in and I will purchase that kit for a minimal price and use those parts to expand my current kit. So as much as I want a strike kit, Id be satisfied with picking up a used DM10X studio mesh kit. If the strike kit sound module is for sale by itself and it lives up to expectation then that might be a worthy upgrade to replace the DM10 module. Just food for thought.

I just finished the cymbals. They came out nice. Now i need to use the vinyl cutting machine and replace the Alesis logo on the cymbals, I might change the logo to Paiste or Zildjian just for fun.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:29:05 PM by Drum key »

Offline AlanK

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 08:31:44 AM »
Wow! The cymbals turned out amazing. What an awesome cool look. Good thinking about the mount for the mixer, makes total sense. I've got a couple of leftover clamps from an old kit so I could probably make a mount with a piece of thin wood and dowel, which I've got.. I may try that as a project this weekend.. could even take off the foot pads from my mixer (if it's got them, I forget.. it's a Behringer USB 801 or something like that).. then use 4 bolts from under the wood into the mixer to hold it, or use a lip at the bottom.
I'm starting to think I may not rush into the Strike Pro for a while. I've added two real looking drums already to my kit..snare and kick.. and even if I got a 1000 for mine as a trade it, I'd need 2000 more for the new set so things are too out of the budget. I'm not so worried about upping my module yet as I use a VST, and I don't think there are any extra inputs over the DM10 at this point (and don't care about the outputs as I'd use my VST to record midi if I was going to do any). I'll wait it out a couple years and if it's ever on sale, and the wife has been spending foolishly on purses or shoes and I reach that frustration point where I've gotta treat myself in order to balance the karma of the household as far as where the money is going.. then I'll splurge  >:(

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 09:46:33 AM »
Thanks for the compliment on the cymbals.

I use a VST also with my kit, so I most likely too will wait on the strike kit. I also don't want to bite off more than I can chew with the wife. Funny how marriage is about compromise. Still I wouldn't change a thing.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 04:22:01 PM by Drum key »

Offline ClaudioCas

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 03:24:27 AM »
How do you realized the cymbal? Paint the plastic with spry?

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 03:48:11 PM »
Claudio-

Yes, I just painted the plastic with spray paint. I used Rustoleum bright gold. It also gives a bit of reflection.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:51:25 PM by Drum key »

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 06:21:45 PM »
Here is the latest upgrade to the set.

Dedicated computer for Avid Pro tools 11 running Windows 7 ultimate, AMD FX 8350 4.0Mhz processor, 8gig ram, (2) 1 Terribyte hard drives.

Yamaha yst-sw100 sub and NS-A325 main speakers.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 08:45:42 AM »
Gets more awesome all the time ("that's what she said??" hahaha).. I like how you've got your monitor on the wall right in front.. mine's off to the side, have to twist my neck a bit and I have a bad neck. Also, the speakers up there too, saves floor space and you don't need to have them attached to posts on the rack like I've seen some do. I've got my drums to the left side of the basement corner, and speakers mounted on poles in each.. don't take up much room but I have to pan my mix way over to the right to compensate or the sound is all wacked out for where I'm sitting.

Good stuff.. sounds like a great computer setup. Hope that water tank never ruptures, tidal wave over the DAW time! Our place has this ridiculously stupid flimsy water pipe over in one corner that comes down out of the ceiling and then right angles out a hole in the wall to the outside hose.. if it busts, there's an electrical outlet like right below it in the wall.. whoever designed our unit is an ass lol
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:47:31 AM by AlanK »

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 11:36:55 AM »
Alan -

The more awesome it gets the more expensive it gets!  :o  But, in all the total cost has been very low. Just got the Alesis 200.00 rebate for the kit yesterday, that only took 13 weeks to get from time of purchase.
If the water tank springs a leak and wipes all the equipment then I smell a new STRIKE kit in my future. All that stuff is insured anyhow because of what you dont see in the previous pics,(see pic) the pinball machines on the opposite side of the room. See the Kiss play field in the pic, im restoring that right now. Lets hope disaster never happens, that would be an awful thing.

I love having a monitor speaker system. Playing with head phones are great but hearing it wide open is wonderful. With Superior Drummer 2.0 Ive been using the Rock Solid program using the Ayotte Custom drum kit that was recorded at Bryan Adams studio in Canada - The Warehouse Studio. Ive been drumming to his Reckless album with the Ayotte kit and it sounds so close to the drums on that recording. Its become a sickness in the best way possible.

Next addition is tracking down some full size concert posters to frame for inspiration.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 08:00:48 PM by Drum key »

Offline AlanK

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 10:01:48 PM »
Holy smokes what an AWESOME collection!!! I was in high school mid-seventies, and pinball was our thing..we spent all our time at the local arcade.. I remember the Kiss rig.. was a huge Kiss fan anyways so it was the best. We also liked one, forget the name, but I think it was based on Tommy..had Daltrey on the backboard.. and a bunch of tiles that flipped if I recall.. when my folks split and my dad and I got a new place, he bought that machine from the arcade when they were selling pinball machines off... buddies and I played in our basement (wasted, of course) all through our 17-19 year old phase.. in fact my dad may still have it in his basement covered with a cloth (but starting to think he sold it off). You've got your very own arcade there, though... hope you have a pool table and ping pong too!

I was at a couple of music stores today, one is closing down, got a conga stand dirt cheap, it has a rectangular top piece with four screws, going to drill up a board to put on top and it will become my mixer/interface/other crap stand. Also lucked into a 10" Roland mesh head.. they're double ply in Canada.. so now I've got Roland on my 8" and 10" upper toms.. when I can afford it will order two 12's for the lower toms.. I've got 682s on originally but prefer the Rolands, they're a lot better and they look better..yeah, it's a never ending expense but it's half the fun along with the playing.. you mention Bryan Adams.. I like playing some of his stuff from the On A Day Like Today album (Fearless, I'm a Liar, I Don't Wanna Live Forever to name a few).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 10:04:32 PM by AlanK »