Author Topic: DM10 - closed hihat foot also triggers hihat tip (in AD)  (Read 1798 times)

Offline JohnRick

DM10 - closed hihat foot also triggers hihat tip (in AD)
« on: October 27, 2016, 02:17:32 PM »
As per title:

Been a while since here. Normally a Yamaha DTX900 fanboy since a decade back (almost), but of course I also have my DM10X Mesh kit (redone with 3-ply white heads and extra cymbals and hardware from Gibraltar. Anyway ...

I trigger every VSTi/drum rompler av available, and my go-tos are the usual Addictive Drums and Superior Drummer. It's only in Addictive Drums I have the issue of the hihat not getting completely closed when stepping on it, but instead - almost always - triggering the hihat tip articulation. This has been confirmed in AD:s mapping page. Before jumping to any conclusions:

1) Yes - hihat SEND is on in the module (this is for Superior Drummer to function properly, which it does by the way, even I would really get my 12 adpaks to jump on the train for DM10X.
2) As per above - it works just fine with Superior Drummer. It still must be a send issue from the module however and not a setting in AD, since AD just interpret the MIDI in signal. So the module sends the midi data for hh tip by mistake.
3) ... following that statement - mapping is correct in AD, and I will NOT touch the ridiculous "foot close sensitivity" which actually worsens everything.
4) In AD's mapping page I can follow the slider going all the way up, all the way down to closed, mimicking my hh foot movement perfectly. I get a closed hh sound in the end, but rarely without it also triggering the hh tip articulation.

5) I think my issue might be similar to what Roland ppl is/was experiencing with BFD;
https://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7575588

Any input? Appreciated!

Offline JohnRick

Re: DM10 - closed hihat foot also triggers hihat tip (in AD)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 12:03:59 PM »
Hi Rick,

Thanks for asking. I believe you are spot on in terms of referring to your problem as the same as being put forth in the BFD forum by the user (users). In other words, the DM10 module is sending a weak extra MIDI note for tip when you are stepping on the pedal, which the module itself is able to filter out, but AD interprets the signals as is and thus will play - or render - that note (tip) as well. It's just doing what it's being told. So it's not really a software issue, but an inherent flaw in the module. Despite the fact that Superior Drummer manages this just fine.

Working analogy would be the stone in the shoe. Stone being the extra midi note, and DM10 fixes the shoe instead of removing the stone. AD gets the stone but are not able to rework any shoe. A filter function in AD would of course be welcome, but that is going about it the wrong way.

One workaround is to lower treshold and/or retrigger, but then the whole playability of the hihat would suffer. So I would recommend sticking with Superior Drummer in this case. Let me know if anything else.

Offline JohnRick

Re: DM10 - closed hihat foot also triggers hihat tip (in AD)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 03:57:21 PM »
Hi Rick,

Thanks for asking. I believe you are spot on in terms of referring to your problem as the same as being put forth in the BFD forum by the user (users). In other words, the DM10 module is sending a weak extra MIDI note for tip when you are stepping on the pedal, which the module itself is able to filter out, but AD interprets the signals as is and thus will play - or render - that note (tip) as well. It's just doing what it's being told. So it's not really a software issue, but an inherent flaw in the module. Despite the fact that Superior Drummer manages this just fine.

Working analogy would be the stone in the shoe. Stone being the extra midi note, and DM10 fixes the shoe instead of removing the stone. AD gets the stone but are not able to rework any shoe. A filter function in AD would of course be welcome, but that is going about it the wrong way.

One workaround is to lower treshold and/or retrigger, but then the whole playability of the hihat would suffer. So I would recommend sticking with Superior Drummer in this case. Let me know if anything else.

Thanks for the suggestions! 8)