Author Topic: Favourite Drum Sample Libraries for use with eDrums?  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Failed Muso

Favourite Drum Sample Libraries for use with eDrums?
« on: October 29, 2016, 08:53:36 PM »
I'm curious to know what you folks consider to be useful and worthwhile drum sample libraries for use with eDrums. I have a huge amount of samples here, a lot of which would require extensive mapping into some useable instrument, but having been "out of the saddle" for a while, I wanted to know if there were any decent libraries worth looking in to.

I do a lot of work in Propellerhead's Reason and so anything that is Refill based would definitely be of use to me, outside of Propellerhead's own Drum Refill. Outside of Reason, I prefer to use UVI-based scripted libraries, as opposed to Kontakt and have a number of libraries by AcousticSamples.com which are very good indeed. I'm looking into Superior Drummer as a future option.

https://www.acousticsamples.net/drums

Any recommendations for libraries that come with mapping files for popular formats, or standalone tools are welcome.

Ideally, I'm looking for stuff that would replicate a good range of acoustic kits for live performance purposes.

Thanks in advance :)

Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

Offline JohnRick

Re: Favourite Drum Sample Libraries for use with eDrums?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 06:36:26 AM »
Most people, myself included, would recommend ...

- Superior Drummer for obvious reasons. Exceptional sounds, many expansions, mapping abilities, tweaking abilities etc. No introduction necessary. Visit Toontrack.

- Addictive Drums. Same reasons as per above. Notable is however that they take up far less space, which is a compromise, very evident when listening to the somewhat compressed sounds and cymbals with less sustain. Still my number 2.

- Steven Slate Drums. Since incarnation 4 (outside of Kontakt, previously 3.5) it has its own player and mapping abilities with great samples and kit. I have however only experience with the Kontakt version so far.

- BFD is also popular. Never took to it myself since I hated the GUI.

- Abbey Road Drummer/Studio Drummer: A series of libraries for Kontakt. Actually really good, with sound I can't find in Superior Drummer for example. Especially like the 70s kit (both Ludwig and Premier Dry). Mapping abilities also superb.

- Ocean Way Drums: For Kontakt. Haven't been on the map for a long time AFAIK. Was previously top notch, but other libraries surpass them.

- Mixosaurus: Uwe from Germany created this one. Also for Kontakt. ONE kit of 120 GB. Went off the market in 2012 due to unclear reasons and was bought up by someone else. Haven't surfaced since AFAIK(?). But the sounds and realism were incredible. Would truly love to have this one.

I play most of these on my Yamaha DTX900 by the way.

Offline Failed Muso

Re: Favourite Drum Sample Libraries for use with eDrums?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 09:15:24 AM »
Most people, myself included, would recommend ...

- Superior Drummer for obvious reasons. Exceptional sounds, many expansions, mapping abilities, tweaking abilities etc. No introduction necessary. Visit Toontrack.

- Addictive Drums. Same reasons as per above. Notable is however that they take up far less space, which is a compromise, very evident when listening to the somewhat compressed sounds and cymbals with less sustain. Still my number 2.

- Steven Slate Drums. Since incarnation 4 (outside of Kontakt, previously 3.5) it has its own player and mapping abilities with great samples and kit. I have however only experience with the Kontakt version so far.

- BFD is also popular. Never took to it myself since I hated the GUI.

- Abbey Road Drummer/Studio Drummer: A series of libraries for Kontakt. Actually really good, with sound I can't find in Superior Drummer for example. Especially like the 70s kit (both Ludwig and Premier Dry). Mapping abilities also superb.

- Ocean Way Drums: For Kontakt. Haven't been on the map for a long time AFAIK. Was previously top notch, but other libraries surpass them.

- Mixosaurus: Uwe from Germany created this one. Also for Kontakt. ONE kit of 120 GB. Went off the market in 2012 due to unclear reasons and was bought up by someone else. Haven't surfaced since AFAIK(?). But the sounds and realism were incredible. Would truly love to have this one.

I play most of these on my Yamaha DTX900 by the way.

Thanks man! Much appreciated :)

I try and avoid Kontakt where possible but, as always, the majority of libraries nowadays seem to use it as standard.

All food for thought though. Thanks again!
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2