Author Topic: DIY trigger I/O?  (Read 7702 times)

DIY trigger I/O?
« on: December 07, 2010, 11:26:58 AM »
I found this info on creating a midi trigger using a USB gamepad:

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticgeek/2008/07/31/turn-a-gamepad-into-a-midi-controller-to-use-with-audio-software/

Has anyone ever tried using a piezo or potentiometer instead of buttons to get a variable signal? Would this work? If so, it would basically be a cheap "trigger i/o" wouldn't it?

My biggest problem with making a DIY e-drum kit (besides the huge time involved) is that I have to buy a module which is about 1/2 the cost of a new e-drum kit.

Is there any way to do the USB gamepad + piezo mod or any other way to make a cheap DIY module to use with my laptop and audio software? (Including drumagog?)

Any thoughts are superbly welcome!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 11:30:14 AM by Matrix »

Online Hellfire

Re: DIY trigger I/O?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 12:09:54 PM »
I found this info on creating a midi trigger using a USB gamepad:

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticgeek/2008/07/31/turn-a-gamepad-into-a-midi-controller-to-use-with-audio-software/

Has anyone ever tried using a piezo or potentiometer instead of buttons to get a variable signal? Would this work? If so, it would basically be a cheap "trigger i/o" wouldn't it?

My biggest problem with making a DIY e-drum kit (besides the huge time involved) is that I have to buy a module which is about 1/2 the cost of a new e-drum kit.

Is there any way to do the USB gamepad + piezo mod or any other way to make a cheap DIY module to use with my laptop and audio software? (Including drumagog?)

Any thoughts are superbly welcome!
Keep in mind the word "cheap" is a relative term. Many see the Alesis Trigger I/O (at $159.00) as "cheap". Consider that a full module (new) is $500+.

Also, keep in mind that anything with a midi port can be plugged into a computer. You just need a midi to USB adapter. Here are a couple options:

1. You could buy an older used module. However that is going to cost $200+
2. Build a Megadrum TMI. (see link). Though only slightly cheaper than an Alesis Trigger I/O, it does have a lot more options. The down side is the time to build one.
3. You could try this: Hack For A Drum Module?. Not as much DIY as a mega drum and you should be able to pick one of those up used for less than $75.00. The down side is that method is a little limited as far as saving parameters.

I hope that gives you something to work off of.

Re: DIY trigger I/O?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 01:36:16 AM »
Thanks for the ideas, it's good to get more angles and options.
What I'm hoping to get is a poor man's trigger IO - I mean like $20. Of course the whole kit and inputs has to go on top of that yet. I might try it and see what happens - at least I won't have a lot into it!

The thing about it is that the Trigger IO is only $160, but you have to build a whole kit to plug into it. For only $240 more, you can get the DM-6  with  2 pedals, 4 drums & 3 cymbals all on a rack... and for only $450 more, you can get the DM-10 Studio with... well you know.

They're really all priced fairly reasonably, it's just for me, it's gotta be so much cheaper to DIY that I can "pay myself" to build the stuff. Time=money and all that. I guess if I was less busy, I'd be less concerned about that.
For it to be "worth it" for me, I'd hope to build a whole kit & "brain" for $100 or less. Beyond that, I may as well save the hours & hours of research, purchase, & assembly and just buy the retail model for a few bucks more.

The real problem is that I love DIY projects so I get really excited about them, but don't really have time to do them. This is why I have to justify the time spent to myself. :P

I can see some people just shaking their head at all this... ::)