Author Topic: Alesis Kick Pad issues  (Read 4738 times)

Alesis Kick Pad issues
« on: October 11, 2010, 03:25:30 PM »
Hey All,

I've just moved in to shared accomodation, and have brought my trusty DM5 pro kit with me. The one thing thats concerning me is its volume. I've performed a mesh head mod courtesy of hellfire drums, and as a result my pads are all way quieter than what they were before. That is except for the kick drum. It's SO loud when struck . Naturally I can't convert it to mesh as well for the sake of fragility and responce. Can anyone suggest any modifications I can make to the kick pad to try and bring the levels down? ???

p.s. I'm aware of the tennis ball impact platform and can do that as a last resort, but I don't really have the time for such a project.

Online Hellfire

Re: Alesis Kick Pad issues
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »
Hey All,

I've just moved in to shared accomodation, and have brought my trusty DM5 pro kit with me. The one thing thats concerning me is its volume. I've performed a mesh head mod courtesy of hellfire drums, and as a result my pads are all way quieter than what they were before. That is except for the kick drum. It's SO loud when struck . Naturally I can't convert it to mesh as well for the sake of fragility and responce. Can anyone suggest any modifications I can make to the kick pad to try and bring the levels down? ???

p.s. I'm aware of the tennis ball impact platform and can do that as a last resort, but I don't really have the time for such a project.
Welcome to the forum. Converting your kick to mesh will go a long way to making it much more quiet. I'm not sure what you mean by "sake of fragility". I converted mine back in Dec '09 and the head hasn't failed yet. BTW, I moved your topic to the DIY section since you are looking to modify your trigger. I also removed your poll as it didn't seem complete. Again, welcome to the forum.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 05:39:08 PM »

Kick pad in combination with a foot pedal (on a metal base plate?) is a special challenge for making your set more quiet. I ran into the same situation after having finished the mesh conversion from Hellfire on all pads incl. the kick pad. It was a little bit more quiet than before but not sufficient enough, so i had to tinker my own impact-reducing base for it (pictures: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=722.new;topicseen#new)

The problem is that the kick pad transmits the impact of the beater directly through the metal construction behind it into the ground and a metal based foot pedal does it same way in the same time - double impact.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 01:18:10 PM »
Hey All,

Welcome to the forum. Converting your kick to mesh will go a long way to making it much more quiet. I'm not sure what you mean by "sake of fragility". I converted mine back in Dec '09 and the head hasn't failed yet. BTW, I moved your topic to the DIY section since you are looking to modify your trigger. I also removed your poll as it didn't seem complete. Again, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the feedback and moving my topic. I just heard that converting pads to mesh is okay for the stick pads, but for the kick drum pad it makes it too fragile...am I wrong? If I am then I'd be happy to convert it to mesh. I've also heard simply tacking a mousepad cut to size over the skin helps to reduce noize. Anyone tried this and had positive/negative results?

Thanks for the help!  :)

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 02:24:15 PM »
I've had a billy blast mesh head on my kick for 9 months, and it's holding up very well.  I added two layers of patches (like for a pair of jeans), just to further reinforce the head.  I did this after my billy blast snare head started to fail.   If you're a heavy hitter, billy blast heads are not the way to go, unless you don't mind changing them out somewhat frequently.  In contrast, there are stronger mesh products on the market, but they cost more.   IMO, the ROI is better on Roland heads... that's what I've switch to (except for my kick, which is still going strong).