Author Topic: sounds on the dm10  (Read 5591 times)

sounds on the dm10
« on: February 14, 2011, 05:16:23 AM »
Hi guys.

I have been checking out youtube videos ans so on forever, but i really never find the answer, so i really would like to hear from you DM10 owners about the factory sounds in the module . I know ill probably get the reply "you really should try it before u buy it" - and i totally agree. The thing is, that this just isnt possible for me believe it or not..  :-[

SO. Here are some things id love for u to help me with.

First off. How does the sounds compare to lets say toontrack and reasons drum kit 2.0? What i really want is a kit for metal and im very picky cause i am a real drummer. Is there any piccolo snares to choose. Basicly.Is there factory sounds for metal/heavy - think slipknot, meshuggah etc.

thans a lot

Ole

Offline Guinness

Re: sounds on the dm10
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 11:27:59 AM »
Short answer Yes. 

Long answer, you can take a drum voice and tune it/tweak it to create a sound to your liking.
VST's like toontrack sound better than a module due to the amount of memory a PC has compared to a module.   I'm no expert on VST's, but from what I understand the voices are much more realistic.   But that said, I think the DM10 module voices are pretty fantastic.

If you search youtube for Guinness DM10 Voices, you'll find 4 videos of the first 43 stock kits of the DM10.  You'll have to suffer through my crappy drumming, but you'll hear the voices.  I planned on doing all 100 kits, but never got around to it after video number 4.

hope that helps.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 11:39:42 PM »
Maybe this post should be under "Drum Modules"... ;)

Like Guinness is saying, first understand that no module yet can use VST technology to it's fullest, so it's kind of comparing apples and oranges.

But the DM10 is a very flexible module with deep sound editing possibilities if you are up for tweaking it. Effects can be used for each drum or for the whole kit. You can create a nearly unlimited variety of kits. The stock sounds are very good in and of themselves. It's all very subjective, but I find the DM10 to be more realistic sounding, overall, than some of the higher end Roland modules... to me they have a somewhat generic sound and the DM10 is more lively. But a TD-12, for instance, might be more "expressive" in terms of response to your playing. *shrug* I would have to say that neither one would convince you it's a real drum set in a live setting. I'm rambling.
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 04:54:39 AM »
Maybe this post should be under "Drum Modules"...
Yeah, youre right. At first glance i just saw the word "sounds" so i just made to thread here. Sorry about that! :D

I would have to say that neither one would convince you it's a real drum set in a live setting

Im really happy youre pointing this out. Thank you. But how would this compare to a recording? You see, im a drummer i have been drumming since i was 4/5 years old, so im VERY picky. But this would be for home practice/enjoyment/recording only. Not that it is not important how this kit sounds, but the sounds would really be nice to use on my recordings. I record a lot at home. Butso far i have been limited to using a nanopad with reasons drumkit 2.0 for drums, and thats is not really fun as im missing my feetfor playing..
Besides. The reason im really interested in the sounds on the module is becausei i only have the essenntial version of pro tools and it doesnt accept use of 3rd party plugins ( which is really stupid by the way) so im using reasons drumkits 2.0 I like those a lot too but the whole MIDI thing with reason kindof makes me want to stay awayfrom it. I suck at the whole setting up stuff and i would really love to just use the AUX on the drumkit to record.. And have a convincing drumsound.. But maybe im asking too much..

Thanks so far. You guys are really helpful..

Ole

Offline vaikl

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 10:38:16 AM »
If you are interested in recording at home, I would see it from the perspective of a sound engineer in a studio where you want to record your acoustic kit.

First there is the pure sound of the kit, mics all around, ambience and the hopefully long experience of the man at the knobs and faders. Then there are equalizers, compressors, gates, reverbs, limiters etc. to pimp up the basic sound to something you would like to hear in a mix (that's more important than hearing your drums solo!).

Now to your environment: If you have the DM10, initially you have real pads and pedals to play like you are used to. The DM10 has a lot of processed sounds for different styles but also some useful, more dry variations. These basic sounds are good enough to record into ProTools and pimp them even with the limited version, nearly as you would expect it from a small studio - if you are willing to put some work and learning curve in it.

Maybe I'm a purist but that's why I like non-processed drumsound libraries like the ones from FXpansion over the processed ones from i.e. Toontrack or XLN Audio.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 11:31:54 AM »
If you are interested in recording at home, I would see it from the perspective of a sound engineer in a studio where you want to record your acoustic kit.

Actually.. I am.. ;) Educated n all.. But i moved to another country some years back and i just started putting together my stuff for home recording. I bet u all know how it is. Once a musician.. well. Cant really live without it.

All in all im just trying to keep my xpenses down a bit and try to find something decent. Im really ticked off about that shitty version of pro tools i bought along with my interface. I used like 2 weeks to try and figure out why my goddamn plugins didnt work.. Until some snotty kid ( no offence to u young guys out there - im only 30 myself) made me realize that it was simply because my pro tools wouldnt accept them.. Try finding that on avids homepage.. not easy i tell u. So i feel a bit had on that one..

Anyways.. I actually do have cubase 5 as well. But im a pro tools guy and the thought of using cubase instead makes me wanna cry. I know its similar but i havent played around with it for like 10 years when i was getting my education as a sound engineer.. So.. Well..

But yeah. Deep down i know there is no way around it. Use the sounds of the module for practice-but for the recording i guess it wont hold up due to the lack of sonic posibilities.. It just sux a bit.. more maney to spend on gear.. Less to spend on pints down at the pub.. Less beer would make the mrs happy, but spending the saved money on what she calls "crap" wouldnt..hahaha..

anyways. Thanks for brainstorming with me. I guess ill bite the bullet and go find a proper sequencer.. And buy my goddamn DM10.

Olé!

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »
If you're looking for a good DAW i'd recommend you to check out Reaper (www.cockos.com). Doesn't cost you and "arm and leg" and get things done without probs! Been a convert for years :)

User of: Reaper, Jamstix and Alesis DM-10 studio.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 01:09:49 PM »
If you're looking for a good DAW i'd recommend you to check out Reaper (www.cockos.com). Doesn't cost you and "arm and leg" and get things done without probs! Been a convert for years :)

+1 on Reaper.. Best DAW purchase I've made.  ;D

As far as my recording set up goes, I've been recording all of my drum tracks via MIDI, as well as the DM10 output, and I have found it extremely useful to be able to go back and change the kit sounds, panning, effects, etc both from within the module, and (optionally) running it into an external program like BFD which allows more 'tweakability' after the performance has been recorded.

As for metal sounds, there are enough good kit piece sounds in there to please most folks - just check the compression settings (FX output) as that can make quite a difference in the punch and cymbals especially.
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 06:14:21 PM »
+1 on Reaper.. Best DAW purchase I've made.  ;D

As far as my recording set up goes, I've been recording all of my drum tracks via MIDI, as well as the DM10 output, and I have found it extremely useful to be able to go back and change the kit sounds, panning, effects, etc both from within the module, and (optionally) running it into an external program like BFD which allows more 'tweakability' after the performance has been recorded.

As for metal sounds, there are enough good kit piece sounds in there to please most folks - just check the compression settings (FX output) as that can make quite a difference in the punch and cymbals especially.
So, can anyone give a brief description of what I might be able to do with Reaper, with my DM10 Studio?  ie; Are there drum sounds in it, and can I plug my PC into my DM10 and use those sounds from DM10 playing, etc?
I looked at the website, and see that it's like a multi-track audio production software, but does it/can it have Drum sounds/kits/whatever, that can be triggered or played from the DM10, too?
Thanks!
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline vaikl

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 08:22:26 PM »
So, can anyone give a brief description of what I might be able to do with Reaper, with my DM10 Studio?  ie; Are there drum sounds in it, and can I plug my PC into my DM10 and use those sounds from DM10 playing, etc?
I looked at the website, and see that it's like a multi-track audio production software, but does it/can it have Drum sounds/kits/whatever, that can be triggered or played from the DM10, too?
Thanks!

1.) Reaper has no real drum sounds "onboard", there's only a tiny drum machine plugin integrated. Reaper's approach is to serve customers with only the necessary tools for recording and mixing, thus the download is only a few MB and it is not expensive.
2.) Reaper is fully MIDI compatible, so you can plug your DM10 in and record MIDI notes. Or full audio tracks with the DM10 sounds to pimp them later.
3.) With your MIDI notes recorded you could use a drum software plugin to connect them with the sounds and soundpacks you like, but you'll have to pay for it separately.

To sum it up more generally: DAWs like Reaper, ProTools, Logic, Live, Cubase or Sonar (to name a few) are made to record digital audio and MIDI data. They can process audio data until you'll get a burnable master track. They can manipulate MIDI data in velocity or placing them on a timeline but for themselves they are not able to generate sound from them, therefor you'll need virtual instruments, plugins.

Some DAWs have more self-developed virtual instruments onboard, some less and some nearly nothing. Reaper goes into that last category but compels with a very flexible interface, workflow and some nifty features other DAWs don't have at the moment.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 09:07:19 PM »
Thanks Vaikl, VERY helpful explanation!
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 03:10:50 AM »
I'm late to this discussion, but I'd like to offer another option:  You could record your drum playing to a MIDI track in one of the DAWs, edit mistakes if needed.  Then you could create a MIDI track to control an external instrument which you would point at the DM10 module.

Now, you can play back the sequence in your DAW - which will trigger the DM10 - and record the audio from the DM10.  You could, for example, mute all notes except the kick, then do the same for the snare, and so on - so now you have your entire kit and performance recorded on separate tracks, using your favorite DM10 kits. 

A bit of work, but you do what you have to when you haven't got access to every piece of gear/software.

I'm still waiting for my kit (ordered today  :) ) but was looking at the manual and it says the DM10 can be controlled by another MIDI device.  By using the aux outs you could double up on your bounces.  It is probable that you could do something like snare and kick mono (aux 1 & 2) and all the toms to the LR main outs.  Another pass with the cymbals each on their own channel.

A little creative bussing in your DAW to simulate bleed and overheads, if you like.

The manual says the outs are not balanced... so keep those cords short (unless you have a direct box).  Also, in order to record multiple channels of audio into your computer you would need an interface that provides that functionality.
Imac 10.5.8; DM10 w/ easy mesh mod; Superior Drummer; Addictive Drums; various DAW's; toe jam

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 04:03:22 AM »
thanks for all the input guys.

Illfind another DAW, maybe ill buy the pro tools, even though i find it a bit costly.. But it is by far my favourite choice. Im totally into PT andfor the ease of it, i think ill stick to it.

Now, im going to order my DM10.. And start playing.. No matter what, that´ll be freakin´awesome!

Ole

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 03:04:46 PM »
Check out www.tutorialsforreaper.com for some cool videos on what can be done with Reaper. Keep in mind while it has some FX, it fully supports VST instruments like BFD.

I've found the video on replacing drum tracks an awesome way to mix in DM10 sounds to existing drum tracks (Fatten up the kick, etc).

Whatever DAW you run with, the concepts are similar.. Enjoy!
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 01:28:11 PM »
My problem is, on other drum kits they give you a rundown of all the sounds of each KIT. There is nothing I have found about this kit. If there is any kind of rundown on each kit, I sure would like to have it.