Author Topic: Help with a DM10 output problem  (Read 2812 times)

Help with a DM10 output problem
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:59:30 PM »
Hey all, My cousin uses a DM10 and brought it to me to fix an output issue. He said he was distracted plugging things in (made a loop of some sort not sure) and heard a popping noise and immediately unplugged everything.  The headphones are now the only output that seems to work.  The left and right out and the aux don't appear to be working.  I've taken it apart and found that the output looks fried.  Can this be fixed?  I can remove the part from the board easy enough.  My problem is finding the replacement part and will it actually do any good?  Any feedback would be helpful.

Offline gorgatron

Re: Help with a DM10 output problem
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 03:38:36 AM »
first, wait for other users than myself to chime in first, but i'm at least able to get some ideas flowing.

if outputs are blown, you likely have to replace the module. it may be a defect within that unit that caused the outputs to give out. if you repair it, the problem may come up again. also, while i'm on it, a power surge could possible cause similar damage. it should always be used with a surge protector. i will assume going forward that a surge protector was always in use.

if it's still under warranty, i would call Alesis and start the process for replacing the module. then put that thing back together so it doesn't appear to have ever been opened. i have no idea how long they allow people to return defective modules, so even if you think your warranty period has expired, you still may want to contact them to see about getting the defective unit replaced. don't mention that it was opened when you tell them about the popping and the other noises before the audio outputs in question ceased functioning.

i think you'd have a hard time with most of the parts. all depends on where it's fried. you could likely find the 1/4" TRS Female input hardware, depending on which designed is used. you may have to see if another design will both fit and work. if the problem is from the jack to where the board connects, you may be ale to solder it, if it had been soldered in the first place.

as much as i hate to say it, i'm going to bet that replacing the module is the best course of action. sorry and good luck! hopefully one of the other members will deliver better news and info than what i've offered.  ;)
Alesis DM10 Studio - modified Trondster dampened rack, Hellfire mesh head conversion on toms and kick, converted 1971 14" Ludwig 303 snare w/ aluminum shell - cone + rim piezo conversion; alternate between Stock and Blue Jay Roms, BFD2, Reaper, Reason 6.5

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:52:46 AM »
I would call Alesis. Especially if it is still under warranty. If it isn't under warranty, call Alesis to find out how much it would cost to repair anyway. The DM10 has not been around that long for people to start replacing parts on the PCBs. The Dm10 came out in 2009. If it is out of warranty (basically over a year old) and you want to try fixing it yourself, I say have at it. Keep in mind if you don't know what you are doing, you could make things worse. Let us know what you end up doing. If you do fix it yourself, I'm sure a lot of users would like to see some pics of the process.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 12:03:14 PM »
yeah I've already told him to call them and see whats up.  Also i tried to upload a picture of the board but I get an error when uploading (says internal server error).  After talking it over with my cousin he says it was caused by a feedback loop.  I will keep you posted on this project.  Thanks for the help guys.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 12:37:15 PM »
Also i tried to upload a picture of the board but I get an error when uploading (says internal server error).

That's because your picture was too large. Make sure it is no larger than 600Kb. I have no problem uploading 500Kb pics. I hope that helps.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 03:20:21 PM »
the fried output

Offline gorgatron

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:31:07 PM »
wow! totally fried that. i wonder how a feedback loop could do that much damage. usually, you just get crazy sounds or popping, and then you disconnect to see what went wrong, work out the signal path, an you're up and running once again. i've not had an issue yet with the DM10 and a feedback loop, but i've done just about any stupid thing you can do with guitars, amps and effects, and never had anything fry on me. i wonder if perhaps there was some minor defect that was just waiting for such a scenario to enable it to blow. maybe like a poor soldering job that lead to a bad contact. you've got yourself a mystery there. hope you're able to get it sorted without much hassle. of course, i've scared of having to deal with any boards, a fear which you don't seem to posess, given you've cracked it all open already.  ;)  best of luck!
Alesis DM10 Studio - modified Trondster dampened rack, Hellfire mesh head conversion on toms and kick, converted 1971 14" Ludwig 303 snare w/ aluminum shell - cone + rim piezo conversion; alternate between Stock and Blue Jay Roms, BFD2, Reaper, Reason 6.5