Author Topic: New to drums....  (Read 874 times)

New to drums....
« on: December 07, 2020, 05:13:14 AM »
Hi. I’m from the UK and bought a nitro mesh kit just to have some fun and it’s delivering..not many threads on this kit so I guess most on here are using the more advanced kits?
Just playing along to YouTube covers for now and struggling with getting the foot bass pedal action going independently. Any tips?
Also wondered if I bought an additional cymbal from an earlier set, say a Dm5 or 10, will it just plug into the vacant slot on the module and will the clamps with these fit the rack for the nitro?
Looking forward to reading lots of threads on here.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 05:31:26 AM by Birdy »

Re: New to drums....
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 07:09:40 AM »
Ok, looking through the site it seems that the nitro kits are a little low level for this site! Any guidance regards where there may be more nitro users on a forum? Not ready to upgrade just yet.
Thanks.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 08:14:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum Birdy,

Any standard Alesis dual zone pad should work for the extra Tom input and any standard Alesis cymbal pad should work for extra crash input. Don't know about the clamps with the additional triggers as it looks like the nitro horizontal bars are non-standard size. I would contact Alesis directly and see what they say about which additional triggers would work with your kit set-up.

As for bass pedal action stuff, I would look on YouTube. I don't like to give technique pointers, because I tend to live by the idea of what ever works for you is the right solution and some drummers have a cow with that statement.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 10:15:26 AM »
Ok, looking through the site it seems that the nitro kits are a little low level for this site! Any guidance regards where there may be more nitro users on a forum? Not ready to upgrade just yet.
Thanks.

There is actually quite a few topics for the Nitro Mesh use the search upper left..

The Nitro module is based off the Medeli DD512  posted in many topics..it's a much more in depth manual.
You should be fine using Alesis drums and cymbals note the Nitro module mainly supports single zone so you won't have the 2nd zone (rim) on the toms or edge/bell on the cymbals so you won't get full function of a dual zone tom or triple zone cymbal but you would be able to eventually if/when you upgrade

The NITRO MESH RACK is also the same that is included with the Nitro and Burst kit has a combination of tubing sizes so you'll have to use 1-1/8" clamps.The biggest complaint is the rack sits too low

As for NITRO MESH KICK DRUM I don't know exactly what you mean by independently as it functions as a unit with the pedal and Rubber Head tower but there are numerous videos on setting the beater distance and using a double pedal etc as Hellfire mentioned everyone has a different technique and every drummer plays a song differently and never the same way twice..

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 01:55:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far. I’m not sure what you mean by zones on the kit?
My issues so far are yes, it’s low, but I’m short so can fit into it; and the cymbals are pretty noisy to actually hit- I can hear the thumping over the headphones! Is it worth getting some of those quiet sticks ive read about?

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 09:06:12 AM »
Just got a bargain DTX482K kit in great condition - looks like it’s practically unused -so I’ve used the cymbals from that (which are quieter to hit) and am also using the silicon type snare that came with it as I prefer the feel to the mesh Alesis one. Also using the Yamaha kick pedal and stool.
Is there a market for the 482 module on its own plus the rack, cymbals that are now surplus?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 10:30:21 AM »
Just got a bargain DTX482K kit in great condition - looks like it’s practically unused -so I’ve used the cymbals from that (which are quieter to hit) and am also using the silicon type snare that came with it as I prefer the feel to the mesh Alesis one. Also using the Yamaha kick pedal and stool.
Is there a market for the 482 module on its own plus the rack, cymbals that are now surplus?

Awesome you found something you like.

As to your question about the used market; the best thing to do is go to ebay and do a search for completed auctions for the equipment you want to sell. That should give you a good idea if people are buying and how much they are willing to spend on that stuff.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 04:58:02 PM »
Thanks