Author Topic: DIY Mulitipad  (Read 8054 times)

Offline Dobly

DIY Mulitipad
« on: July 31, 2017, 02:34:14 AM »
For those who don't know me I play a 'very modified' DM10X kit. The DM10 is used to send midi notes to Addictive drums and to an Alesis Sample Rack.

When I needed certain sounds from the sample rack I would for example have a kit in addictive drums that had no toms assigned. In that sound I would use sounds from the sample rack. What I didn't like about this was having to give up normal toms or cymbals to play special sounds from the sample rack.

I got to thinking it can't be that hard to make a multipad set.

Over the next few posts I'll explain how I did it. If you are keen to try something like this you dont need to follow my method. You may have a better way to do it.

In the end I build myself 2 x 6 pad boxes.  These are named affectionately MTMMMES. The 'Mega-Twin' Modular Multipad Musical Expression System'. Or MTMMMES for short. :)

I plan to mount one on my left and one on the right of my kit. Freeing up my DM10X pads and cymbals from Sample duty forever.  With 12 pads filling almost all the inputs on the Sample Rack I have tons of options for triggering sounds or loops (ala Micheal Schack) or whatever I want.

Here they are finished..

Details on how I built these will follow..

Offline Dobly

Re: DIY Mulitipad
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 02:51:24 AM »
First I decided on the pads. I've used these pads before. They are very heavy rubber anti vibration pads that come in a pack of 4 from Bunnings (huge Australian hardware chain).

These pads are 100mm by 100mm. (3.93 inches). By 12mm thick (0.47 inches)

As a playing surface they are pretty unforgiving. Little bounce. Impossible to 'buzz' role on, but that it what I wanted. Something I could wack to trigger something.

Deciding that I'd have 3 pads across and 2 down, and that I wanted 10mm (0.39 inches) between each pad and the end of the boxes that that would hold them helped me plan the boxes.

The internal dimension of the boxes needed to be 340mm by 230mm. (13.3 by 9.4).

I got myself some 7mm (0.27 inch) ply wood and measured up the cuts.

A few hours, two bleeding knuckles and a blister later and I had all the wood sawn for both boxes and 12 pads.

Here is one of the boxes before it is sanded, painted, glued or assembled.. (just sitting there for the photo).

Before assembly however I had to drill 25mm (0.98) holes to hold the socket holders that hold the inputs.  For that I had to buy a 25mm drill (weapon).

Here it is after devouring it's first hole.

Holes done I could not resist trying one of the socket holders for size.

They look great. Here it is from the inside..

Here is the first box assembled..

My carpentry skills are pretty rubbish in a  'if i can do it you can do it' sort of way.

I sanded both the boxes and gave then a couple of coats of under coat.

I was pretty pleased with this. They were both exactly 340mm by 230mm as planned on the inside and the holes where drilled for the plugs.

On the next message I start on the pads.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 02:56:29 AM »
In profile the rubber pads look like this.

That area marked out is 85mm (3.34). I needed to cut out metal plates that size.

I measure up some 0.75mm (0.029) metal sheet with squares the correct size.

This next shot looks so peaceful. But using that muititool to cut metal is horrible and hard work.

Job done. 12 metal plates.

Next I hit the edges with a file and made them far less lethal. Not blunt enough for a 3 year old to play with, but enough that I don't cut myself on them.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:48:34 AM by Dobly »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 03:06:32 AM »
Next the boxes got sprayed with 3 coats of gloss black paint.

Function before form they look sort of good. ;)

Next I lay the rubber pads face down, got them 10mm apart put a metal sheet on and after drilling put on some of the white packing stuff you see in this next photo.

That white tape is the stuff they wrap around big boxes to hold them together. I got this from Bunnings for free as they throw it away. It is tough as an old pair of work boots. You could hang a bus from one piece of it. Aside from it's strenght it has 2 other properties making it perfect for this project.

1. It does not stretch even a little bit. Zero stretch.
2. It does not flex sideways. That is when attached to the three pads above you can't make the 3 of them 'snake' but moving the end pad left and right. If that makes sense.

Having assembles the pads I went back to work on the boxes.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 03:17:07 AM »
On the inside corners on each box i used epoxy resin to hold a washer.

Later I will drill this out and the hole will be used to mount the pad on something like this...

That's the easy part. I've not yet worked out how I am going to mount that on a stand. I'm open to ideas. (Edit: I did work out how I am going to mount them, and this is not the way. Read on)

Next i mount the electrical stuff..

and from the inside.

(Edit: Those tiny claw nuts and bolts cannot be gotten from Bunnings or any typical hardware store. I got them from a hobby shop. The sort of shop that sells model plans, electric trains etc. )

I covered all my piezo's in gaffa tape and then cut around it. This was because the plan for this build changed over time and I thought I'd need to do that. The piezo's work perfectly like this.

I cut the wires very short.

And got to work measuring and soldering on wires.

Neatly done with heat shrink.

These got attached to the metal plates with some good double sided tape. (I don't have a photo of that)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 01:50:23 AM by Dobly »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 03:27:16 AM »
Next I marked each pad set as belonging to top / bottom / left / right and which box it belonged it. This was because to the inaccurate way I eyeballed the position of the packing tape. I was coming out at each end in Approximately but not exact position.

So once I had each pad set in position I made marks with masking tap of where the packing tape was coming out.

Then with a screw stuck in a small strip of tape I marked the position of where the screw hole would go..

I then drilled and put the nuts and bolts in. Tightening the bolts pulled the teeth of these nuts into the wood.

I that shot you can see I have drilled out the washers..

From the bottom the pads now look like this..

Inside each box is 2 pieces of foam. The bottom one normal 'cheap' foam. The top piece expensive acoustic foam.

I cut out the corner of the bottom foam make way for the rods of what ever i mount these on.

The I cut slits in the top foam for the wires from the piezos.

And here is one of the pads just before soldering. (this was an exciting moment after weeks of planning, trial and error and hard work)

And in time time flat, I have 2 x MTMMMES ready to rock...

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »
Nice work Dobly! It's good to see some love for DIY multi pad projects.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 09:08:58 AM »
wow, Dobly, that's absolutely incredible.. what a project!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dobly

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 09:11:57 PM »
Thanks Hellfire and AlanK.

Having played they a bit I found a slight error in my plan. As I made the metal plates 85mm by 85mm like this....

The pads do not work if you hit one on the edge. Not a big deal as it is very easy to hit them around about the middle. Still, as is the case with a diy project I am already planning 100mm by 100mm metal plates and flipping the pads around.

DIY rocks.  ;)

Offline Dobly

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 06:05:11 AM »
Just a quick note on the virtues of this packing tape stuff I used..

As you will have seen above, the pads are only connected to the box via screws at the end of each row. Therefore the middle pad on each row is floating.

Despite this, that packing tape just does not flex on that axis..

Here is the same pad standing on it's side.

Solid.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 06:22:28 AM »
MOUNTING!

I'm still not sure how I am going to mount these.

One will be on my left and one on my right.

The one on the right will be pretty much above the cymbal mount at the right end of the rack. I was using it currently for a small cymbal that was plugged into my Sample Rack. No need for that cymbal now so I gain a mount for my right MTMMMES.

Still don't know what to mount it on but i have something to attach it too. I have a spare boom cymbal arm that I could use. Just work out some way to securely mount something like this to the top of it.

The MTMMMES on my left is more challenging..

In this shot you can see I want it out over the Sample Rack and DM10 modules, above and behind the Hi Hat.

Note that today I cut off the top of the hi hat rod to make way for my left hand playing these pads. But I digress..

From a top down view you can better see my challenge.

By the looks of it I need to build some sort of bespoke stand, that gets screwed onto the Sample Rack mounts. Sounds easy enough but as you can see is off center, twisted and leaning at a 'certain' angle towards me. And if i build something it had better be right, else I'll need to build something I can adjust. Yikes.

Each weighs around 1.8kg (3.9 pounds). Pretty light weight.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 09:53:07 AM »
You could pick up an extra Alesis module mount adapter and stick it in a clamp or the hole of that cymbal boom opening.
Nice work, man, what an awesome project. I do hope it works well. Really like that dense rubber stuff you're using.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dobly

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 08:41:31 PM »
Good thinking Alan. I don't really want attached something like that mount to the pads. They will be much easier to pack away if I can stack them together.

But I could do something like this..

This solves the problem on how do I get the MTMMMES's base into the realm of drum hardware. The biggest issue is still the one out over the top of the sample rack.

My left rack arm looks like this..

The only space left on there is left of the Hi Hat clamp. And the hi hat itself sits over that space.

Circled at the top is the 2 wing nuts I put on when attaching the sample rack. Seem logical then that at that time I add a new bit of stand under these 2 nuts.

Adding an MTMMMES here will add weight to the back of this rack piece. Should be ok but as the legless hi hat stand and real hats add stability to the whole rack. Time for some measurements.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 09:03:31 PM »
I think I have the solution for my left side..

I have this old clamp thing from the 1980s.. It not only clamps at both ends, it twists in the middle.. With the combination of this twist and the fact I can rotate the entire clamp around the pipe, I'll get pretty fine control on the position of the MTMMMES.

In this mockup I'd have two arms that extend directly up from the sample rack wing nuts. Between those 2 I'd have a pipe that the mega clamp could attach to.

The top part of it attaches to the Alesis plate suggested by  Alan above with my 4 arms bolted to it.

Infact just looking at it now the pipes that come up to hold the sample rack could be remade longer... The middle of the extend pipes could be flattened like the existing one to hold the sample rack, then the the pipe continues up a little way. On top I mount a pipe across between them and the rest just falls into place. I love when a plan comes together. ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:05:30 PM by Dobly »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 09:11:57 PM »
This will work..

That clamp twist in 2 places. Each end can twist.

That gives me a ton of control were the pads sit.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 10:12:22 PM »
The biggest issue is still the one out over the top of the sample rack.

My left rack arm looks like this..

The only space left on there is left of the Hi Hat clamp. And the hi hat itself sits over that space.

Circled at the top is the 2 wing nuts I put on when attaching the sample rack. Seem logical then that at that time I add a new bit of stand under these 2 nuts.

Adding an MTMMMES here will add weight to the back of this rack piece. Should be ok but as the legless hi hat stand and real hats add stability to the whole rack.

Well done Dobly with your MTMMMES project to make better use of the SampleRack with your other DM10 gear.

Maybe you could mount one of the multipad units on the LHS rack post with a speaker bracket like this: https://www.swamp.net.au/speaker-mounting-bracket

I've used a similar bracket for mounting my laptop PC on the RHS rack leg.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 10:32:01 PM by rhysT »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 11:22:55 PM »

Well done Dobly with your MTMMMES project to make better use of the SampleRack with your other DM10 gear.

Maybe you could mount one of the multipad units on the LHS rack post with a speaker bracket like this: https://www.swamp.net.au/speaker-mounting-bracket

I've used a similar bracket for mounting my laptop PC on the RHS rack leg.

Thanks rhysT and let it be known to all that you were a big help to bounce ideas off during this project. Only you truly know how much trail and error went into this.

The speaker mounts are a great idea. Way cheaper than an Alesis DM10 mount. $29 at dj city. I will explore this option. I have decided to abandon the idea of mounting them in those corner holes I added.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
It's all good fun collaborating on a DIY project when you're keen to try various options to improve your prototype.

Plus the process has sparked other ideas that could possibly be developed as viable edrumming gizmos. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:40:27 PM by rhysT »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 07:01:45 AM »
MOUNTING part 2.

Here's a reminder on how my Sample Rack is currently mounted. On two custom build rods that I made for this job.

If i am going to mount my MTMMMES up there above the sample rack, I needed a new mount. DIY strikes again!!

When I moved into this house about 5 years ago, there was a dismantled Hills Hoist in the back yard. That would have looked something like this when it was assembled.

For years I have kept the pipes for some unknown future project much to the dismay of my wife who every year tried to get my to throw them out. Today that project arrived.

I grabbed one of the pipes and tested out my multi directional clamp on it. It fit.

Next I tried one of the clamps currently holding the Sample Rack. It fit easily.

In that shot you can see the existing mount pipe on the right.

In no time flat I had cut two lengths  of the new pipe. Again you can see the old one there. I just estimated the extra I needed and added a bit. I can always cut these shorter once everything is attached and adjusted.

The plan was to have these two going up with a piece going across from the top between them.

I headed to Bunnings to see if I could find any L shaped joiner. I did not hold out much hope. I mean what is the chance that this pipe, from this very old clothes line would have a range of caps, joiners etc at exactly the same size?

You can imaging how chuffed I was when I found these..

How good are they going to look when I paint these pipes black??? But I digress.

These L shaped fittings and a whole range of other things at Bunnings all would fit this very standard 25mm pipe I just happened to have under my house for years.

The pipes were old, galvanised and crusty. The did not go into the new L joints.

I this shot it is THIS close but still will not go in there.

I attacked the end of the pipe more and more with the file until finally.

Once I had both the pipes done I lined them up on the bench with the sample rack to measure the size of the cross pipe.

Perfect.

Mounted on the kit from the new mount looks like this.

From the drum throne it looks like this.. Here I attached the mega multi clamp and confirmed that this is going to work. I'll be able to get the left MTMMMES exactly where i need it.

And here you can see the mount with the Sample Rack in approximate location.

I can tell looking at that that the mount can be shorter. That said I need to be careful. I need to be able to get to the Sample Rack so I must mindful that the MTMMMES cannot overlap it.

The mount will look much better when it is painted and cut down to size.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 07:12:00 AM by Dobly »

Offline AlanK

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 09:56:01 AM »
Incredible stuff, Dobly, I love these DIYs and I totally hear you on the intuition to keep things like this around the house.. invariably something comes up and you have this "junk" around to make good use of.. can't wait to see it all painted up and holding the unit

Offline Dobly

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 02:32:11 AM »

After some filing and sanding the mount parts were ready to be cleaned with mentholated spirits

From dirty old pipe living in under the house in the dirt to part of a musical instrument that is clean enough to have on the kitchen bench (the wife did not see me do this)  ;)

I took them outside and over the course of a few hours gave them 3 coats of this.

Technially still wet for 48 hours they are dry enough to handle. (but not mount on the kit). I could not resist seeing the mount with it's copper fittings.

it's still too tall. Cutting it down with be the last thing I do.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 04:40:21 AM »
I just bought 2 of these to mount the MTMMMES'. Thanks rhysT for the link.

The challenge here is the bottom of them looks like this..

The clamp I need to attach them too looks like this.

What I need will look something like this..

All I can think is to fill the void with some sort of plaster or cement. Any other ideas are welcome.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 10:49:28 AM »
cool stuff, amazing how the pipes came out and the contrast with the copper angles is really neat!

I bought one of those clamps for either a speaker or a lighting rig I was putting together.. it fit perfectly onto the top of a speaker stand. I think I tried it on top of one of the Alesis legs and it didn't fit but it certainly fits onto standard speaker tripods.. if you ever wanted to place the unit somewhere that wasn't clamped to your frame you could have it on a tripod

Offline Dobly

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 11:12:35 PM »
I did the following diagram mostly for my own benefit planning what pad on the 2 MTMMMES will trigger what.

As you can see I have left the bass drum input to do bass drum. Same with the Hi Hat. Some day I might want to just set up the MTMMMES 1 and 2 as a small drum kit.

Having done this I have not used the ride cymbal. I'm thinking of creating some sort of add on to one of the MTMMMES.  Some add-on that adds two more playing surfaces.. Ride A and Ride B.

With the Sample Rack as you have seen if your read the discussion on this site. . .
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=4850.0

....as long as i am using sounds off an SD card, I can have 2 sounds on each pad. For example. The left most pads Snare A and Snare B. If I look just at Snare A it can have Layer A and Layer B sounds assigned. Velocity switched and all. ie: layer A sound will play from say 0 to 64 while the layer B sound kicks in at 65 to 128. The flexibility of this unit is amazing (for the price).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:32:23 AM by Dobly »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2017, 11:21:50 PM »
What I need will look something like this..

All I can think is to fill the void with some sort of plaster or cement. Any other ideas are welcome.

Hey Dobly, maybe a fitting like this could adapt the speaker bracket to your multi-clamp: https://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-19mm-tail-x-25mm-bsp-male-director-5-pack_p3130440