Author Topic: 16" Surge Ride Cymbal Question/Issue  (Read 3456 times)

16" Surge Ride Cymbal Question/Issue
« on: September 16, 2010, 01:19:09 PM »
Dear all,

I'm new to these forums and new to the world of percussion. (Although I've been playing & performing as a guitarist & singer over 10 years).

I recently purchased the DM10 Pro Kit after being impressed with a DM6 kit my Dad owns. I got it setup earlier this week and am generally very happy with it.

I do however have a slight problem with the 16" Surge Ride symbol that maybe someone can perhaps help and advise me on.

The issue is with the choke. When I occasional grab the choke, the unit triggers the loudest possible ride sound for about 1/4 of a second and then the choke cuts in and silences it. After performing further tests, I found gently touching the chock strip also triggers this. 

The Crash on the other hand is fine and never triggers anything but silence when touching its choke.

I’ve completed the ride setup within the DM10 as advised by the paper work that comes with the kit, have changed the trigger cables and have made sure they are connected properly etc.

Just wondering if there is anything else I can do or whether you may think I have a faulty ride symbol?

Thanks in advance,

Jon. 

Offline Hellfire

Re: 16" Surge Ride Cymbal Question/Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »
Dear all,

I'm new to these forums and new to the world of percussion. (Although I've been playing & performing as a guitarist & singer over 10 years).

I recently purchased the DM10 Pro Kit after being impressed with a DM6 kit my Dad owns. I got it setup earlier this week and am generally very happy with it.

I do however have a slight problem with the 16" Surge Ride symbol that maybe someone can perhaps help and advise me on.

The issue is with the choke. When I occasional grab the choke, the unit triggers the loudest possible ride sound for about 1/4 of a second and then the choke cuts in and silences it. After performing further tests, I found gently touching the chock strip also triggers this. 

The Crash on the other hand is fine and never triggers anything but silence when touching its choke.

I’ve completed the ride setup within the DM10 as advised by the paper work that comes with the kit, have changed the trigger cables and have made sure they are connected properly etc.

Just wondering if there is anything else I can do or whether you may think I have a faulty ride symbol?

Thanks in advance,

Jon.
Welcome to the forum. Do you have a dual zone or three zone ride. I'm assuming three zone since you have a choke. Did you set the DM10 to recognize a three zone ride? The DM10 lets you set up for a two or three zone ride. If that is not set-up correctly, it will not work right. Have you tried reversing the two cables on the ride to see what it does? Lets start there and let us know. Again, welcome to the forum.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:35:52 AM »
Thank you for your reply Hellfire.

Yes, the ride is the three zone model. Prior to my earlier post, I did specify within the DM10 Module that the ride is 3 zone and I also changed the trigger type from switch to piezo as described within the setup manual.  I have set the sensitivity levels which were specified in the manual. Have also switched cables around etc - I still unfortunately have this issue.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:53:47 AM »
Thank you for your reply Hellfire.

Yes, the ride is the three zone model. Prior to my earlier post, I did specify within the DM10 Module that the ride is 3 zone and I also changed the trigger type from switch to piezo as described within the setup manual.  I have set the sensitivity levels which were specified in the manual. Have also switched cables around etc - I still unfortunately have this issue.
Interesting. At this point I'm wondering if you have a bad ride trigger, but I'm not sure how to test it. Do the bell and bow trigger fine? If it is just the choke I wounder if you could use your crash cymbal plugged into the ride input just to check and see if that one chokes correctly? I'm not sure which of the two ride cable you would need to use. I guess you could just try one cable at a time. See if the choke work on that. If it does, then the problem is with the ride cymbal trigger. If not it might be an issue with your module. Those are the only things I can think of. Did you contact Alesis with your issue? Call them because they tend to jump right on it if you call them. Some people have reported slow response with contacting with email. I hope that helps you in some way. Let us know.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 03:11:50 PM »
Thanks again Hellfire, I will test it by swapping the inputs with the crash and seeing whether the problem follows the input location or whether it stays with the ride. Will let you know the results.

I've not contacted Alesis yet (or Dolphin Music, where I purchased the kit), but I think I may do.

Thanks again,

B.

Offline Wolfsong

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 04:02:12 PM »
I seem to be having the same issue.  Was this ever resolved and if so, how?  Any info would be much appreciated.
Multi-instrumentalist.  I didn't even know there was a word for what I am.  Among other things.

Offline Wolfsong

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:35:39 PM »
Oh hey, I fixed it - apparently just by switching to "piezo".  I like that note chase feature a lot - it makes tweaking settings a lot faster.I had to mess with the sensitivity setting a bit, too.
Multi-instrumentalist.  I didn't even know there was a word for what I am.  Among other things.

Orangeblood

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 03:06:45 PM »
You need that note chase on the old DM5...good grief it was a pain