Author Topic: A bunch of (newbie) questions about the DM10 Studio Kit  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Alix-1723

A bunch of (newbie) questions about the DM10 Studio Kit
« on: May 31, 2010, 07:18:25 PM »
Hello there fine users of the internet! Right now I'm using this pathetic ION Drum Rocker setup with my PC:

and it's really not cutting it, so I'm planning on buying the Alesis DM10 Studio set in about 3 months, and I have a few questions:

1. Does it come with a bass pedal?
If it does not, could I just use my existing one (A modified "Pulse Pro") with the bass pad?

2. Could I use my existing single-zone rubber pads with it?

I've looked around and found a few people saying that you can split a dual-zone input at the back of the DM10 module into two single-zone inputs, so exactly how many inputs would be left over once all the parts that come with the kit normally are set up? I plan to buy 1/4" Y-splitters and hook up between 2 and 4 of the least battered pads from the ION kit.

3. Do the rubber cymbals, like the SURGE ones, have a 'choke strip' on the underside?
I've not seen anywhere saying that they don't but I'm still unsure.

4. What kind of format are the sound sets that you can transfer to the module via USB?
Are they a 'soundfont', or a Proprietary format? Just curious as I may try putting some together if it's possible.

Sorry if this isn't the right section for this, or if these questions have already been asked. Thanks in advance for any answers!
This is a signature.

Offline Hellfire

Re: A bunch of (newbie) questions about the DM10 Studio Kit
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:34:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum Alix-1723.

I'll try to answer them in order:

1) No, you have to supply your own. The one you have should work fine.
2) Yes, you can use them with the DM10. I believe the DM10 Studio uses all of the inputs, but you can always add an Alesis Trigger I/O for expansion. See DM10, 35 additional sounds via MIDI!!!
3) The first crash and the ride are they only ones that are chokable, and yes those come with the choke on them.
4) Proprietary format, and none have been released as of yet.

I hope that helps. Again, Welcome to the forum.

Offline Alix-1723

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 07:41:19 PM »
Many thanks for the quick response, and the link to the MIDI expansion possiblity.
This is a signature.

Offline Pier

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 03:55:23 AM »
Hi and welcome to this forum.

I own a Studio Kit, so I can confirm everything that Phil (Hellfire) told You. One of the crashes is a mono (single sound), the other one has the choking feature as well as the ride cymbal. The ride uses two cables, but the DM10 is - btw - designed to host all this stuff (and more).

The pads you own look like sigle-zone pads (like the ones of some Medeli drums). They will work indeed, if you really want to use them in conjunction with the Studio Kit