Author Topic: New Product Midi to physical strike device  (Read 2055 times)

Offline ChrisK

New Product Midi to physical strike device
« on: April 06, 2016, 02:59:51 PM »
Hi,

I just saw this, midi to physical strike device, the only issue here, the hit are on the same spot, so less sound variation on the surface of the head and using 127 velocity level, compare to higher with human force.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjF-ino7FfnjZU7CMmMKe1g?nohtml5=False

Offline AlanK

Re: New Product Midi to physical strike device
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 09:04:44 AM »
That is VERY cool... neat concept. Yes, not sure if there can be any dynamics but it's an interesting rig for sure. In theory, why would you bother if you just want a backup beat or additional percussion track you could just create your own drum sampling. But it's cool to watch for sure, interested to see how others will make use of it
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 06:07:56 AM »
The most obvious application to my eye is adding the ability to incorporate real cymbals in a kit, while preserving the ability to reproduce the performance via MIDI.  Put a trigger on the cymbal to record MIDI, and one of those striker dongles on there to play it back.  It seems to offer the potential to have a hybrid kit without losing the ability to edit things.

Very interesting.

Product is not to market yet, and the expected price is $800 USD and $200 USD for each additional ball.  If I read all that right, it ends up being $1200 for 3 of these and I would need three sets of $1200 plus some way of actuating a hi-hat stand to do what I just had in mind.

Allllrighty then.  I'll be taking a pass on all that.  Maybe in 20 years when it gets cheap.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 08:56:27 AM »
But Linux, I think it's the reverse of that.. it's a midi file/recording that is played to generate the mechanical triggering of those units to strike the drum or cymbal to make the music.. I don't think it works the other way around unless I'm not getting it. Still a cool setup either way.. but I think it's more geared to performance than recording
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 10:12:21 PM »
It could provide the other half of the link when used with surge cymbals or the like.  A standard cymbal would still need some sort of trigger to generate a MIDI signal, but this thing could then play back the MIDI and generate sound on command.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 03:41:40 PM »
Hi,

I just saw this, midi to physical strike device, the only issue here, the hit are on the same spot, so less sound variation on the surface of the head and using 127 velocity level, compare to higher with human force.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjF-ino7FfnjZU7CMmMKe1g?nohtml5=False

PERC will need a bit more development to perform like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-kOpucwA-Y&ebc=ANyPxKo1GXuTo7ZBHLev8h1JPt3vD7AWHYqHsA_dmpcafhfyHlQB2SlUK9KnwRHO6EiE-8IvqxC1