Author Topic: Alesis Sample Rack --Two needed features-  (Read 43168 times)

Offline ChrisK

Re: Alesis Sample Rack --Two needed features-
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2014, 10:51:07 PM »
Update:
-There is multilayer velocity switch sound,  this can be defined in the software utility (I don't know the amount of sample yet on each triggers)
-There is no loading issue when changing kits, there is  pre-load on start up to avoid lag when changing kits.
-There is no Dynamic Articulation like Dm8\Dm10

Will have more info soon probably.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:53:32 PM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2014, 11:43:31 PM »
Update:
-There is multilayer velocity switch sound,  this can be defined in the software utility (I don't know the amount of sample yet on each triggers)
-There is no loading issue when changing kits, there is  pre-load on start up to avoid lag when changing kits.
-There is no Dynamic Articulation like Dm8\Dm10

Will have more info soon probably.

If you don't mind me asking, How did you find this out?

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2014, 01:20:23 AM »
There is no Dynamic Articulation like Dm8\Dm10

Ummm...what?!?
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2014, 01:39:15 AM »
Hellfire, I think he got it from here..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbVZZ05giM&sns=em

Nate Lane
10 hours ago

+chris me Great question Chris, yes there will be multilayer velocity switch sounds on each pad - this can be defined in the software utility.  There will not be dynamic articulation (automatic cycling between sounds at the same velocity) as you find in our DM10 and DM8 modules.  Regarding loading, we're doing a pre-load on start up so there isn't lag when going between kits.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2014, 01:53:08 AM »
Hellfire, I asked others question as well, waiting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbVZZ05giM&sns=em
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:11:43 AM by ChrisK »

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2014, 09:16:26 AM »
Sounds interesting... I might have to sell my Roland SPD-SX, but I think I'll wait a bit and let someone else try one first... haha
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Online Hellfire

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2014, 03:13:47 PM »
The fact that it can do velocity switching sounds is a major plus.

BTW, I thought that was part of the definition of "Dynamic Articulation". I thought the rest was, alternating sounds at same velocity (i.e. round robin) and the ability of a sound to change its pitch base on velocity.

So, no round robin and no velocity to pitch, but we do have velocity switching sounds. Well, we got one of the three. I guess that isn't too bad. For $199.00 I'll give it a go.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 08:24:28 PM by Hellfire »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2014, 04:43:34 PM »
BTW, I thought that was part of the definition of "Dynamic Articulation". I thought the rest was, alternating sounds at same velocity (i.e. round robin) and the ability of a sound to change its pitch base on velocity.

KAT percussion as another example defines "Dynamic Articulation" for its products as a velocity curve in a specific MIDI data range, with the ability to change sounds depending on velocity values and their position on that curve - the direct opposite to Alesis' definition.

Don't forget that product managers are talking in marketing wording... ;)

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2014, 01:22:47 AM »
30 kits in total available, 10 internal and 20 on the 32gig SD cards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uQFU8U4tc8
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:13:58 AM by ChrisK »

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2014, 10:34:06 AM »
Now that they say it will be multi-velocity layer capable I will definitely keep an eye on this one. Depending on how that plays out I would like to get a Sample Rack and try it out for adding more triggers side by side with my existing 2Box kit. You can easily split the tom inputs on a 2Box module to add more cymbals or pads, but you cannot just MIDI in for that as you can only trigger the same sounds already assigned to inputs. So this will be interesting to me. Heck, I don't even use most of the loop features on my SPD-30 either, so the Sample Pad Pro might be a replacement there too ..... I really hope the multi velocity capability is deep enough to make it worthwhile. J

Online Hellfire

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2014, 11:45:26 AM »
Now that they say it will be multi-velocity layer capable I will definitely keep an eye on this one. Depending on how that plays out I would like to get a Sample Rack and try it out for adding more triggers side by side with my existing 2Box kit. You can easily split the tom inputs on a 2Box module to add more cymbals or pads, but you cannot just MIDI in for that as you can only trigger the same sounds already assigned to inputs. So this will be interesting to me. Heck, I don't even use most of the loop features on my SPD-30 either, so the Sample Pad Pro might be a replacement there too ..... I really hope the multi velocity capability is deep enough to make it worthwhile. J

Not sure if the Sample Rack will let you access instruments pass the trigger inputs. That would be really cool if you can, because all it would take is one Trigger I/O to expand the Sample Rack. Unfortunately, I think the trigger inputs are only single zone. Not really a big deal if one is to build a kit around the Sample Rack. At $199.00 its cheap enough to just use multiple Sample Racks to build a kit. The plus sides to that is, one could have multiple hi-hat set-ups (or dual zone hi-hat set-ups), and can separate the units based on function. Yes, the rack drum module would be a little large, but then again it could be triggered remotely via Trigger I/Os. Just a thought.

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2014, 11:59:07 AM »
There are still a lot of unknowns, I hadn't thought about the inputs being single zone, but still the price is right. Also I hope it has crosstalk cancel that works as well as the iO. That feature on the iO works quite well.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2014, 12:11:01 PM »
There are still a lot of unknowns, I hadn't thought about the inputs being single zone, but still the price is right. Also I hope it has crosstalk cancel that works as well as the iO. That feature on the iO works quite well.

Sometime the I/O cancel works a little too well. Don't know if you have ever noticed, but on the Trigger I/O when using a dual zone pad, it is impossible to get both zone to fire at the same time. And no setting change can fix that. For most of us this isn't an issue, but if I'm trying to mix zone sounds on purpose (this is done to fake positional sensing), it means I have to uses to different inputs.

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »

Sometime the I/O cancel works a little too well. Don't know if you have ever noticed, but on the Trigger I/O when using a dual zone pad, it is impossible to get both zone to fire at the same time. And no setting change can fix that. For most of us this isn't an issue, but if I'm trying to mix zone sounds on purpose (this is done to fake positional sensing), it means I have to uses to different inputs.
Yes, but on the other side of the coin you can do things that are hard or impossible to do with some other modules or TMIs. One example is a conga I triggered several years back. I was able to put a center piezo/cone and a 2nd piezo/foam at the outer head area. That all on an 8" surface, so only a few inches separation on the same pad and still get decent zone separation through parameters and the Crosstalk cancel of the iO. So there are plusses and minuses. I have always liked the iO for add-on triggers, not so much as the main trigger module. It is excellent for that.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:53:05 PM by Jman »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2014, 03:00:01 PM »
I am still waiting a reply if the  multilayer velocity switch are 2 sound or more like VST drum etc...Remember the Spd-S had 2 sound velocity switch. Anyway even at 2 it's useful for many things, better then nothing, 4 would be nice...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:08:36 AM by ChrisK »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2014, 12:10:23 AM »
If this thing is built on the same platform as the JUNKBOX akai MPX8, which I owned and ditched after one week, its only hope is the 15 internal drumsets are balls to the wall awesome like a great-sounding TR808 set, TR909 set, Simmons SDSV set, rock set, etc, AND YOU WON'T EVEN THINK OF LOADING SAMPLES INTO IT!! Loading "drumsets" of samples on the MPX8 is a painful process in which, if you have, for example, Set 8 loaded, and need to scroll back to Set 6, your knob gets stuck while it loads the first sample of Set 7. Hopefully you develop the skill to quickly rotate the knob to ask it to load Set 6 at the same time it starts to load the second sample of Set 7. If you are lucky, it WILL begin to load Set 6.  If so, you then have to wait half a minute for it to load all the samples of Set 6 while your guitar player glares at you and your singer tells the audience your band's Twitter 'handle' for the fifth time while also glaring at you. If not, try to get it to SLOWLY load Set 6 before it SLOWLY loads the third sample of Set 7.

I am curious which SD Cards brand and model\speed, did you use with the MPX8? There should be difference which Sd Cards class and performance, same as the camera class. Highest Sd Cards speed are about 280MB/s lower about 20mb/s
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:34:03 PM by ChrisK »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2014, 12:23:45 AM »
Sample Pad Pro Design have been changed a bit, they should put the 2 knob on the side to the top, more secure that way with a case, less risk of damage when traveling.
http://www.alesis.com/tradeshows/wnamm2014/img/media/SamplePadPro_Media.jpg
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:09:29 AM by ChrisK »

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2014, 09:28:03 AM »
Sample Pad Pro Design have been changed a bit, they should put the 2 knob on the side to the top, more secure that way with a case, less risk of damage when traveling.

I kind of liked the original design.  Even though it's an Alesis product, it kind of had that Roland look, ala SPD-SX.
I'm a little worried with where the two top triggers are located.  I think the original design looked like it might accommodate hitting the triggers at more of an angle.  Kind of like shoulder triggers.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2014, 01:17:12 AM »

I kind of liked the original design.  Even though it's an Alesis product, it kind of had that Roland look, ala SPD-SX.
I'm a little worried with where the two top triggers are located.  I think the original design looked like it might accommodate hitting the triggers at more of an angle.  Kind of like shoulder triggers.

They look the same 2  edge pad design to me
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0-8tVS7GBls/Uv0CDfEm2HI/AAAAAAAABeM/WDubkLZTmAk/w1200-h750-no/e77b8f77-b4f7-4dfc-813e-f07d1c408c8b

Online Hellfire

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2014, 07:20:19 AM »
This should make it easier to compare the new and the old. BTW, ChrisK how did you find the image of the new style sample pad pro?

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2014, 07:24:05 AM »
This should make it easier to compare the new and the old. BTW, ChrisK how did you find the image of the new style sample pad pro?

I think he found it on Alesis's website.  They have updated the picture there.  But, you have to click through to the tradeshows/2014 parts to get to it.
http://www.alesis.com/tradeshows/wnamm2014/alesis.html

Online Hellfire

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2014, 07:54:29 AM »

I think he found it on Alesis's website.  They have updated the picture there.  But, you have to click through to the tradeshows/2014 parts to get to it.
http://www.alesis.com/tradeshows/wnamm2014/alesis.html

Totally missed that. I didn't think to go back to their wnamm2014 news letter. I assumed they wouldn't update something like that. It makes me wonder if the Sample rack is going to change at all. I will say, this shows that Alesis is no where near release these two devices yet. I would suspect an actual release no earlier than fall (sept/oct) of this year based on the fact that the physical look of the device is still changing.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2014, 02:11:40 PM »
The new SamplePad Pro Design increasing vulnerability of the units:

-Stick hit on the screen with flat surface, too much easy to hit it, close to the pad at the same area, (unless you put a plexiglass screen to cover it)
-2 knob on the side can be damage in travel
-Sd card without hole cover protection, direct open for any hit or unwanted push

Original design was better for the screen safety, Sd cards safety and knobs in secure position.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:22:04 PM by ChrisK »

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2014, 04:10:43 PM »
The new SamplePad Pro Design increasing vulnerability of the units:

-Stick hit on the screen with flat surface, too much easy to hit it, close to the pad at the same area, (unless you put a plexiglass screen to cover it)
-2 knob on the side can be damage in travel
-Sd card without hole cover protection, direct open for any hit or unwanted push

Original design was better for the screen safety, Sd cards safety and knobs in secure position.

Agreed an all counts! :)

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2014, 03:49:21 AM »
Maybe for the moment they have both desings in consideration. Or that, or the latest design is more "cheap" for Alesis, and they redone it, using the same casing for both Sample Rack and Sample Pad.

One way or the other, i prefer the original, due to the reasons above as well, with the plus that the straigh lines era ended back long ago in the mid 90's ::)
Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever