Author Topic: Crowdsourcing DM10 OS 2.0  (Read 56515 times)

Offline Hellfire

Re: Crowdsourcing DM10 OS 2.0
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2010, 07:11:12 PM »
My beef is that Saturday I took the DM10 out to play...what an embarrassment. I do not know how the other member plays this kit out. False triggering is a joke. It shouldn't take every ounce of patience and frankly is embarrassing. If it can't handle stage use, then IMO it is a waste of money and time...period.
I have to ask. Why did you play a gig with the DM10 when you already felt it was not up to par and you have a Yamaha DTXIII which you seem to like better?

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2010, 07:28:30 PM »
Maybe the DTXIII module crashed and is in the shop?  ;)
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

Offline Guinness

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2010, 07:39:35 PM »
Dan: To add to the list:  snare buzz function on the toms

I was toying the other day with adding a low level (volume) snare to layer B on my toms to get that buzz.  I didn't try too hard, and got bored messing with it.  Cool that Yamaha already has it.

Orange...  by the way, the difference between the studio and pro racks are pretty significant, imo.  My DM5 had the same rack as the studio (I think).  I can see how you'd think it's "toy-ish".

Anyways...

Orangeblood

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
My beef is that Saturday I took the DM10 out to play...what an embarrassment. I do not know how the other member plays this kit out. False triggering is a joke. It shouldn't take every ounce of patience and frankly is embarrassing. If it can't handle stage use, then IMO it is a waste of money and time...period.
I have to ask. Why did you play a gig with the DM10 when you already felt it was not up to par and you have a Yamaha DTXIII which you seem to like better?

I didn't think it wasn't up to par, found out during SC.
 Why wouldn't I use it? It is the "flagship" after all... ::) ;)

Orangeblood

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2010, 07:45:18 PM »
Dan: To add to the list:  snare buzz function on the toms

I was toying the other day with adding a low level (volume) snare to layer B on my toms to get that buzz.  I didn't try too hard, and got bored messing with it.  Cool that Yamaha already has it.

Orange...  by the way, the difference between the studio and pro racks are pretty significant, imo.  My DM5 had the same rack as the studio (I think).  I can see how you'd think it's "toy-ish".

Anyways...

and the cymbals....it's hard not to compare when they both sit here. Human nature I guess.

Phil....does Alesis make the pads, cymbals, pedals? Or does that OSP brand make them and Alesis's uses them? Is the module the only thing they make?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2010, 08:45:41 PM »
Phil....does Alesis make the pads, cymbals, pedals? Or does that OSP brand make them and Alesis's uses them? Is the module the only thing they make?
For the Surge cymbals: Alesis pays licensing fees to Smart Trigger for their cymbal trigger tech, but Alesis makes the Surge cymbals themselves. As a matter of fact they are made in Canada.

Alesis makes the DM5, DM10, and Trigger I/O themselves (I don't know about the DM7, I'm still digging). The DM6 module is a rebranded module from a Chinese company called Medeli

As for the pads and rubber cymbals and the racks (minus the DM10 Pro kit rack, the chrome one) they are supplied by Medeli. There are a few caveats to this statement: From what I can tell in the states Alesis has some kind of exclusive contract with Medeli for the "RealHead" drum triggers (The ones with real hoops and mylar heads). Over seas other companies use these same triggers, at least the 8" model (ex. Borgi, Legacy & Yoki). The only "RealHead" drum that doesn't apply to this is the 10" version. That appears to be made by Medeli exclusively for Alesis in the states only.

There are many companies here in the states and over seas that rebrand some part or all of a kit form Medeli's catalog of products. Examples are Hart Dynamics, Ion (which is Alesis), OSP, Pintech, and Simmons.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2010, 09:18:26 PM »
I didn't think it wasn't up to par, found out during SC.
 Why wouldn't I use it? It is the "flagship" after all... ::) ;)
Okay, I think I'm a little confused. Let me back up for a second. Aren't you larlev over at Vdrums.com?

Offline Guinness

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2010, 12:19:19 AM »
Okay, I think I'm a little confused. Let me back up for a second. Aren't you larlev over at Vdrums.com?

Yes.

Orangeblood

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2010, 08:40:56 AM »
I had to find out myself...I had doubts sure.

as of last night I now have a wire in kick pad that has broke loose, and a snare rim that stopped triggering....maybe that was what was causing the false triggering. POS kit, Alesis you have a good product NEW.....but, it's always sad when the test of time exposes the bad quality of products.

So Phil...the point I was getting at is if OSP uses the same pads as Alesis, and the OSP kits are under $299....all we are paying for is the module. Alesis had a module and decided "hey" lets throw some POS pads that every cheap ass kit uses and call it a high-end kit. No wonder the pads can't hold up to stage use....would you take a OSP kit or simmons on stage?

Hell No....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:57:06 AM by Orangeblood »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2010, 11:29:39 AM »
I had to find out myself...I had doubts sure.

as of last night I now have a wire in kick pad that has broke loose, and a snare rim that stopped triggering....maybe that was what was causing the false triggering. POS kit, Alesis you have a good product NEW.....but, it's always sad when the test of time exposes the bad quality of products.

So Phil...the point I was getting at is if OSP uses the same pads as Alesis, and the OSP kits are under $299....all we are paying for is the module. Alesis had a module and decided "hey" lets throw some POS pads that every cheap ass kit uses and call it a high-end kit. No wonder the pads can't hold up to stage use....would you take a OSP kit or simmons on stage?

Hell No....
I see what you are saying. Thanks for the clarification.

I agree with you that your kit should not have those problems. It sucks that those issued happened on stage. If you were to keep the kit I would be contacting Alesis about these issues.

I do think that when you buy a DM10 kit you are mainly paying for the module. I have always stated that for the price the kit is good. As a DIY'er (and yes, I do enjoy taking off the shelf products and making them better) The DM10, I feel is easy to upgrade and repair if need be. My problems have been minor and easily correctable. With that said, it is not a perfect kit by any stretch, but for many it serves it purpose. I would have to admit however that people (know matter how true it is in some peoples minds) they don't like there drum set being called POS. I feel there are more tactful ways to say that.

As to the question of would I play out with OSP or Simmons...

For OSP, not without some changes and/or upgrades (the rack being a major issue for me why I would not use it), I don't like the OSP (standard Medeli product) modules they are what they are for the price but not for me.

For Simmons, I know of a couple people who gig out with the Simmons SD9K (Medeli makes their stuff, some of it is exclusive to Simmons). I think I would most likely have to change out the rack, but other than that I would give it a shoot.

So yes, out of the box (meaning no mods what so ever) I would not gig out with OSP or Simmons.

I didn't even gig out with an "out of the box" (or unmodified) Alesis DM10 kit, but I bought a DM10 Pro Kit because of the rack. I knew from the get go that the rack on the Pro is better suited for gigging than the studio. I did my mesh conversion (I personal like the feel of mesh, I've been playing on mesh since 2001.), a few minor upgrades like mounting the module on its own stand and mounting the snare on its own stand. These two mods were done to eliminate most of the cross talk inherent in the "out of the box" kit. I also reconfigured the rack (using the DM10 supplied rack equipment) to a four leg configuration (much better config to me). I have gigged out with this set-up and have not had any issues. 

So, to answer your question...To gig out with any drum kit, I would like it to be at least damn close to professional grade. If anyone wants that out of the box, you will have to pay a lot more money.

I know this is getting long, please hang in there..

I do know Alesis is rather small compared to Roland or Yamaha. They just started making their own modules again as of a couple years ago. It will take some time for them to start making their own drums (That is slowly happening as well). I'm hoping that the successor to the DM10 Pro kit will be the giggable kit "out of the box" that you and I are talking about.

Again, Orangeblood thank you for humoring me. :) I hope you stick around after you sell your kit.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:50:44 AM by Hellfire »

Orangeblood

« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2010, 09:25:17 PM »
I have sold the kit....this was the second one.....so I won't hash out my distaste anymore.

I'm sure some of you don't want to hear such negative things....I know I don't like feeling this way about a product.

it is what it is.....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:27:59 PM by Orangeblood »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2010, 09:45:43 PM »
I have sold the kit....this was the second one.....so I won't hash out my distaste anymore.

I'm sure some of you don't want to hear such negative things....I know I don't like feeling this way about a product.

it is what it is.....

Does that mean such iTunes losers like me wouldn't get a chance to watch/listen to a Pro when he works his kit out to the Pro limit? That would be a shame ;)

Anyway.. Good decision, straight forward. I wish you good luck for your business.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2010, 08:02:55 AM »

it is what it is.....

I'll be happier once the smell of all that piss goes away..

Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Orangeblood

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2010, 10:09:13 AM »

it is what it is.....

Does that mean such iTunes losers like me wouldn't get a chance to watch/listen to a Pro when he works his kit out to the Pro limit? That would be a shame ;)

Anyway.. Good decision, straight forward. I wish you good luck for your business.

You keep calling yourself a loser and you might start to believe it.
Maybe after some yrs. of practicing to drummless tracks you too can make money playing drums....let me know when that happens. I am getting old, so don't take to long.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:13:34 AM by Orangeblood »

Orangeblood

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2010, 10:10:53 AM »

it is what it is.....

it is what it is....aren't you the one that plays this POS studio out?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:15:00 AM by Orangeblood »

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2010, 01:12:27 PM »

it is what it is.....

it is what it is....aren't you the one that plays this POS studio out?

Yep.. done it a few times.. Aren't you the one that just pisses all over the forum without proving a damn thing? What are you doing for this community anyways? Shouldn't you go start DTXFanboy.com or something?

BTW where are your vids anyways? The people here got enough sac to share their tracks, warts and all.. I give them props for that.. evidently you're too cool and I must bow to your utter coolness.. It genuinely scares me that you're a drum teacher..
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2010, 01:14:08 PM »
Reopened!!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:31:19 AM by Hellfire »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2010, 11:48:43 AM »
Dan, I thought of something else if it's not too late. How about under the "DYN" tab an option for Vel>Layer? Basically I'm looking for a way to control the level of a layer based on its velocity. At "00" the layer would be normal. At "99" you would only hear the layer on the harder strikes. At "-99" you would only hear the layer on softer strikes. Obviously anything between those extremes would be variable mixes of them. This type of feature would give the user velocity switching capabilities, but more than that is would let the layers mix better between switching from layer "A" to layer "B".

I hope that makes sense.

Never mind Dan. See the next message.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:18:40 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2010, 03:05:28 PM »
I thought we could already do that.  I'm thinking that's what I did on my Dyn Art video.
Are you seeking something different?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2010, 05:17:54 PM »
I thought we could already do that.  I'm thinking that's what I did on my Dyn Art video.
Are you seeking something different?
I went back and tried this again. You are right Guinness, it can be done with what we already have. The problem I had was I could only get it to work in one direction. Originally I could only get soft hits not to trigger and only hard hit to trigger. I now realize that in order to get softer hits to trigger and not harder hit to trigger is to play with both the main decay function and the Vel>Decay. Strange that it is easier to get one out come over the other. Thanks for making me go back and look into this.

Dan forget about the Vel>Layer thing. :P

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2010, 10:43:11 AM »
Another feature that maybe useful. Is it possible to manage each audio output seperately and having all the effects,etc. on each output. It would be great for studio and live mixing.

I saw the "DM20" wish list, especially the point for the additionnal audio outputs. I think that it would be a first step to better manage the 4 audio outputs of the DM10.

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2011, 02:41:15 PM »
Hi

I dont know if this is still active but here are a few ideas:-

1 2 mode Note Chase
Press once quickly for note chase to latch only until trigger hit
Press and hold to turn on as normal
Hopefully this will help when balancing drum levels against one another whilst playing normally under the INST edit.
I have probably changed more parameters in error with this than parameters I actually meant to.

2 Ability to fully edit Perc1 when in 3 zone ride mode

Adjust trigger sensitivity / Pick new sound / balance levels etc

Cheers All

Strontium Dog

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2011, 03:02:21 PM »
Another thing I'm thinking about. I had a Yamaha DTXpress IV for a couple of years before buying the DM10 last summer.

The thing I found interesting in Yam's modules is the ability to manage several triggers kit.

I recently build a E-kit for the studio session with my band and I use A kit with mesh heads and red shot triggers at home. I only have one DM10 and I often have to make some adjustement to the settings for each kit.

If it could have several trigger presets, it would be very useful.

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2011, 11:45:42 PM »
What i want?

It to happen!!! Come on Alesis!
I already see a couple second hand dm10 kits going round for sale. Get a grip it make it happen.

Offline Yankee

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2011, 09:15:25 AM »
I recently build a E-kit for the studio session with my band and I use A kit with mesh heads and red shot triggers at home. I only have one DM10 and I often have to make some adjustement to the settings for each kit.

If it could have several trigger presets, it would be very useful.

I would definitely second this one, Having a practice kit in the rehearsal room made up of meshed dmpads & meshed realhead pads vs the actual DM10 studio kit meshed for the stage... 1 dm10 module.  Would love to have the trigger settings specific to each kit so I didn't have to adjust it back and forth constantly. Basically have a bank of Live kits vs a bank of Practice kits...

...Yankee
E-Kits: Alesis DM10 Studio, Alesis DM5, Alesis DM6 w/ DIY Mesh Conversion's
A-Kits: Gretsch Catalina Maple 6pc Cherry Red; 64 Slingerland 4pc Gold Sparkle