Author Topic: Damn DM10 HiHat!!  (Read 1953 times)

Damn DM10 HiHat!!
« on: December 02, 2017, 04:56:05 PM »
Greetings. I've had a DM10 Studio Kit for several years and there is one thing I really can't stand about it.  The HiHat.  No matter what I do, I can't get a decent HiHat bark from it.  I hit the HiHat pad in open position and close it to get the bark but I always get a loud foot chick sound instead.  Alesis forum hasn't been much help.  Anyone got any advice?

I am a total amateur drummer and since getting Parkinson's Disease, my already poor playing has gotten worse but I want to get back to playing the kit again as physical therapy.  The damn HiHat is really affecting my enjoyment of playing again.  So much so that I'm considering getting another module. Maybe a Simmons SD1000, ddrum DD5xm or maybe even a Nitro because I like the tom4/crash2 capability.

Offline rhysT

Re: Damn DM10 HiHat!!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 07:05:12 AM »
I've had a DM10 Studio Kit for several years and there is one thing I really can't stand about it.  The HiHat.  No matter what I do, I can't get a decent HiHat bark from it.  I hit the HiHat pad in open position and close it to get the bark but I always get a loud foot chick sound instead.  Alesis forum hasn't been much help.  Anyone got any advice?

You could try a simple mod to your Realhat pedal as explained in this thread: http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2685.0
It enables consistent hi hat 'barking' and 'chick' sounds when applying normal foot pressure on the pedal and allows useful control between hihat open and close (with its MuteGroup OFF).
I've fitted 2 thicknesses of (9mm-wall x 10mm-ID) pipe insulation tubing in the gap between pedal bracket and rubber trigger block secured with double-sided adhesive tape, or it could be any similar medium density foam rubber. 
Btw, I use either the Z60sNB 15" or Heavy 2 hihat sounds in most of my kits combined with a few others like ZManhatn 14".
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:00:28 PM by rhysT »