Author Topic: New Guy New Drummer One Question  (Read 1082 times)

New Guy New Drummer One Question
« on: October 04, 2020, 04:05:25 PM »
Hi want to introduce myself, my name is Joe.

I've been playing guitar/bass for most of my life, I play out with different people occasionally. My son recently started a casual band with his buddies they're coming along quite well and he recently asked if I thought it was a bad idea for him to try drumming. I said go for it !!! Anything you think you might like, and this is part of the reason for putting a kit in my home. He's been playing guitar up to this point.

Just picked up an older Alesis studio kit (DM10) with the Mylar heads. My son has a bunch over every week I thought it might do them good, they have no drums and no drummer LOL. I also thought it would be nice for my own purposes as well. Setting up a small studio. I've only drummed a few times on my own. Have really no idea what I'm doing but I like picking up simple beats and working on coordination/timing. I have zero idea how it's supposed to be done and even less knowledge of e kits.

This one may or may not be worth saving it has its share of glitches. I'll probably work on calibration and sensitivity settings before I start asking questions, but I do have only one question right now; is there anything not worth replacing on this set ? I know I can buy new heads for about 36 bucks a piece. Maybe need to replace triggers... I'm noticing the glitches, dead spots etc, I'm just wondering if these kits ever get to the point where it's practical to throw in the towel and get New/newer money wise ?

I got a decent monitor, throne sticks etc with the deal so it wouldn't be a total wash. I have a feeling the seller may have been less than totally honest on its condition but buyer beware right ? Possibly my bad for being hasty.

Thanks for Reading and thanks for any experience to a new guy.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 04:14:48 PM by Chief »

Offline Chaser

Re: New Guy New Drummer One Question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 12:01:54 AM »
Hi want to introduce myself, my name is Joe.

I've been playing guitar/bass for most of my life, I play out with different people occasionally. My son recently started a casual band with his buddies they're coming along quite well and he recently asked if I thought it was a bad idea for him to try drumming. I said go for it !!! Anything you think you might like, and this is part of the reason for putting a kit in my home. He's been playing guitar up to this point.

Just picked up an older Alesis studio kit (DM10) with the Mylar heads. My son has a bunch over every week I thought it might do them good, they have no drums and no drummer LOL. I also thought it would be nice for my own purposes as well. Setting up a small studio. I've only drummed a few times on my own. Have really no idea what I'm doing but I like picking up simple beats and working on coordination/timing. I have zero idea how it's supposed to be done and even less knowledge of e kits.

This one may or may not be worth saving it has its share of glitches. I'll probably work on calibration and sensitivity settings before I start asking questions, but I do have only one question right now; is there anything not worth replacing on this set ? I know I can buy new heads for about 36 bucks a piece. Maybe need to replace triggers... I'm noticing the glitches, dead spots etc, I'm just wondering if these kits ever get to the point where it's practical to throw in the towel and get New/newer money wise ?

I got a decent monitor, throne sticks etc with the deal so it wouldn't be a total wash. I have a feeling the seller may have been less than totally honest on its condition but buyer beware right ? Possibly my bad for being hasty.

Thanks for Reading and thanks for any experience to a new guy.

Welcome to the forum !
I would first check the module and see if it has the final versions of firmware.
There probably aren't near as many of the Mylar kits left out there because of the mesh conversion which started here in this forum many many years ago.The Mylar kits that are still out usually aren't updated or the user lost interest or got discouraged if they were new to e-drumming and the module seemed too complex.I have picked up a few that way.
I wouldn't worry so much about replacing the heads unless they are really beat up (torn..holes etc) and you can pick up Mylar heads for much lower than 36 per head..the Evans Onyx or G2 are around 16 a piece for the 8"- 12" at Guitar Center or zZounds etc.The price of mesh is similar should you choose to update.. which most assuredly the module will need to be updated to the mesh firmware.

As far as the glitches dead spots etc it is more than likely the settings (unless the drums are extremely damaged) as whoever had it previously either set it up for their style of playing..or not at all..There are 1,000's of these drums still being used.
You can go into the trigger settings and check each zone one by one.You can also reset the module to Factory specs and just start fresh 

The best place to start is the search on the upper left..the forum is packed full of information for the original DM10 kits.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 12:12:16 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 10:17:53 AM »
Thank You Chaser,

That pretty much eases my mind as like I said this is all new to me. I'm going to get my hands on the older style USB cable I need tonight for the updates and get that done. Also do a factory reset. Last night I tried to pin down the startup calibration error. It only happens when the (crash/ride ?) is plugged in. (Upper left corner jack). I'll take your suggestions and go from there. Visually the heads don't look bad so they're probably not.

It's really going to be nice having something for someone to tap out a beat on, and if anyone who actually does drum wants to, they can do it at my place without having to set up and tear down. Once I get a used mixer and a few speakers and mics, my downstairs will open up a whole new set of opportunities for both myself and my son, and those we already play with. Quite exited about it !!!!!!!   

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 10:38:21 AM »
Thank You Chaser,

That pretty much eases my mind as like I said this is all new to me. I'm going to get my hands on the older style USB cable I need tonight for the updates and get that done. Also do a factory reset. Last night I tried to pin down the startup calibration error. It only happens when the (crash/ride ?) is plugged in. (Upper left corner jack). I'll take your suggestions and go from there. Visually the heads don't look bad so they're probably not.

It's really going to be nice having something for someone to tap out a beat on, and if anyone who actually does drum wants to, they can do it at my place without having to set up and tear down. Once I get a used mixer and a few speakers and mics, my downstairs will open up a whole new set of opportunities for both myself and my son, and those we already play with. Quite exited about it !!!!!!!   

Calibration errors usually are with cymbals and having the incorrect cymbal or incorrect cable in a port....usually port 7
I don't know exactly which kit you have or if you have the labeled harness that came with the kit...probably the Studio.
Check the 12" crash cymbal in port 7 the cable should be TRS and/or labeled crash 1...one crash cymbal is chokeable (dual zone)..one is not.
These two 12" cymbals routinely got mixed up and the chokeable cymbal requires a TRS cable.

EDIT:
Here are a couple calibration topics.
Calibration Fail

This one the choke strip failed
Alesis DM10 studio kit input 7 calibration fail problem

There are quite a few topics...just enter Calibration Fail in the search window..upper left

Alesis has removed some of the videos in the knowledge base including the updating video..use this link
Alesis DM10 - Updating the Firmware on the Module

Alesis DM10 additonal Info
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 11:25:28 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 11:28:28 AM »
I'm not home right now, but it is the original labeled harness. I think all are TRS, I'm sure some are. The chokeable cymbal has 2 ports on it, and 2 cables, (labeled ride1/ride2) at that point I'm getting a little fuzzy but they may be plugged into ride1/ride2 jacks. That's starting to sound a little fishy now but I'm going to have to verify the rest when I get home. This is the way it was wired when I bought it, all cymbals and the choke work. The high hat deff needs cal, it doesn't operate in a consistent manner.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 12:01:06 PM »
I'm not home right now, but it is the original labeled harness. I think all are TRS, I'm sure some are. The chokeable cymbal has 2 ports on it, and 2 cables, (labeled ride1/ride2) at that point I'm getting a little fuzzy but they may be plugged into ride1/ride2 jacks. That's starting to sound a little fishy now but I'm going to have to verify the rest when I get home. This is the way it was wired when I bought it, all cymbals and the choke work. The high hat deff needs cal, it doesn't operate in a consistent manner.

If it has 2 jacks it is the Ride cymbal...the DM10 module uses a 2 cable Ride (as does the STRIKE) chokeable doesn't mean it has to have 2 jacks.
Dual (2) zone and triple (3) zone cymbals with choke can have a single TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) jack.
Some of the newer modules are single cable Triple (3) zone Ride.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention (been awhile since I used a DM10) you can also change the Ride to either 2 or 3 zone in the module.
Dual Zone Mode allows you to add an additional trigger using Percussion 1 input.
The Ride with 2 jacks will need a dummy plug (1/8"-1/4' headphone adapter works also) in one of the output jacks in order to work.
The Ride will then be Bow/Bell.No Edge and I believe you lose the choke.
This option is NOT available in the STRIKE module.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 12:48:25 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 08:53:13 AM »
I had some time last night. I checked the crash cymbals as you suggested (2) and noticed the one with a choke used a guitar cable, the one without a choke had a TRC cable. I swapped the cables and the calibration error went away. I then calibrated the high hat controller. I thought pushing down on the pedal should open the cymbals but it's the opposite. I'd prefer to reverse that but haven't found a way. I've been told that the way it's configured is common. 

Did a factory reset and then there were several triggers going off. I adjusted some thresholds/sensitivity settings and it quieted down but I ran out of time. This morning I got the USB cable I need, so tonight or this weekend I'll work on the updates. One of my buddies suggested doing each update in the order they were released if possible.

It looks like I'm going to have to spend more time than I expected on this, the manual isn't that intuitive, for me anyway. But It's good to know I'll eventually become familiar with its operation and it seems I'll get the bugs worked out.

Will the latest update will get me close to where I need to be without spending 10 plus hours of trial and error ?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 10:13:29 AM by Chief »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 10:44:07 AM »
I then calibrated the high hat controller. I thought pushing down on the pedal should open the cymbals but it's the opposite. I'd prefer to reverse that but haven't found a way. I've been told that the way it's configured is common. 

That is how a Hi Hat works..acoustic or electronic...pedal up=OPEN..pedal down=CLOSED..

Did a factory reset and then there were several triggers going off. I adjusted some thresholds/sensitivity settings and it quieted down but I ran out of time. This morning I got the USB cable I need, so tonight or this weekend I'll work on the updates. One of my buddies suggested doing each update in the order they were released if possible.

Follow the update procedure in the link provided including looking at the current versions installed.
There is a specific order..all information is in the link.

It looks like I'm going to have to spend more time than I expected on this, the manual isn't that intuitive, for me anyway. But It's good to know I'll eventually become familiar with its operation and it seems I'll get the bugs worked out.
Will the latest update will get me close to where I need to be without spending 10 plus hours of trial and error ?

Very few if any E-Kits  are an "out of the box experience". Once you take the time and setup the triggers properly it will benefit you in the long term
especially if you eventually go to using software/Vst..the better you have the module setup the less problems you will have.
When you restored/Re-initialized did you select the proper kit ?..mesh kit settings are different than Mylar.

Here is the DM10 SETUP GUIDE

If you still have some issues...Do all the pads one by one.

Set the sensitivity as low as possible - the volume meter should hit the maximum only on your strongest hits.
Set the threshold as high as possible set it high, without it interfering on your soft ghost notes.

Then, when you have set the sensitivity, it's time to have a look at the xtalk settings. If a trigger affects many other triggers - raise the xtalk send. If a trigger is affected by many other triggers - raise the xtalk receive. But - avoid settings of 7 (the maximum) and preferably avoid 6 as well. If you have set a low sensitivity and a high threshold, you won't need that high xtalk send/receive values.

If there is xtalk within the pad (rim sounds sound when you hit the head, for example):
Set the threshold for the entire trigger and sensitivity for both zones. It is the combination of the various trigger settings that determine the behaviour. If the pad is problematic - increase the zone xtalk.

DM10 Xtalk

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 12:00:30 PM »
I was not given any kit options upon factory restore. Must be one of the first versions.

Chaser, Thanks Again, I sincerely appreciate the time and effort you took to guide me along.  Some of the links provided don't work where I'm at right now but I'll use them this weekend, or possibly tonight when I'm home. I'd like to have it going for Friday evening when my son has his bunch over, so it'll be a high priority.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 02:19:04 PM »
Reversing the direction of the hi-hat pedal control would be an interesting concept but not very logical (although perhaps on the switch type setup with just open and closed it wouldn't really matter). In the acoustic world, drummers like a variety of open and closed and it can make a big difference in how hard you're pressing down on the pedal to get the amount of close you're looking for... pressing it all the way down will close the two cymbals but if it's a light closure you'll get a much different sound than if you put all your weight into it where you're get a very fine, crisp and shorter tone on the beats.. you wouldn't be able to get that by having it reversed (in general, although I imagine if you had a variable setup you may be able to set it to be firmly closed on no pedal pressure, then just lightly closed on slightly less open. I think in my Addicitve Drums I have the option of reversing the hat trigger settings to do this but I doubt it would be a common practice.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 09:10:24 PM »
Thanks AlanK,

It took me about a half a day just to get the updates and load them. Biggest hurdle I was inadvertently trying to open the syx files, (You don't open them) I just wasn't familiar with the software and process. Got them up and running in time for the boys to use them. I hammered out a few crude beats and then gave them up knowing others were probably dying to try them. It was a lot of fun and I'm really happy they have a set down there, it really adds.

Tomorrow I'll probably work on tweaking them, the crosstalk, etc but I'll tell ya It's sooo much better than having nothing down there !!!!!

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 05:39:57 PM »
Got up today and played. Didn't eat. I only left the house to walk the dog and get some hardware so I could use headphones and feed music in. Nice I don't have to use an amp for headphones or to play with music. I play open and I think I'll keep it that way for now.

I tweaked one or 2 more things that were going off. Once you get familiar it's not that bad. I'm finding plenty of beats/off beats to keep me challenged and I guess I'll never run out of things to learn.

Did most of you guys/girls teach yourself or did you find a real value in lessons ? I feel right now that going it alone, especially having a few other guitarists/vocalists to jump in with on a weekly basis, should keep me occupied interested and learning. Is it mostly just practice and repetition ? I'm concentrating on getting my timing perfect at a comfortable pace. I also noticed that even slowing down can make it tough.