Author Topic: Pearl Tru Trac dual zone head with DM10  (Read 1246 times)

Pearl Tru Trac dual zone head with DM10
« on: April 14, 2020, 05:31:02 PM »
After a small bit of research, I see that the head is piezo while the rim is a switch. Really liking the feel of this head but it's only being seen as a single zone with standard settings. Is there a workaround to get the rim to trigger properly even though it's a switch? Through a splitter and an additional input, or something else. Worth upgrading to a newer Alesis unit that has this functionality? I haven't dove into the pearl redbox manual to see what I can find since that's just a DM10 clone anyways. Might even just tape a piezo to the shell if that would work...

Offline Chaser

Re: Pearl Tru Trac dual zone head with DM10
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 05:57:05 PM »
After a small bit of research, I see that the head is piezo while the rim is a switch. Really liking the feel of this head but it's only being seen as a single zone with standard settings. Is there a workaround to get the rim to trigger properly even though it's a switch? Through a splitter and an additional input, or something else. Worth upgrading to a newer Alesis unit that has this functionality? I haven't dove into the pearl redbox manual to see what I can find since that's just a DM10 clone anyways. Might even just tape a piezo to the shell if that would work...

Have tried changing the Rim Trigger Type from Piezo to switch?

InputType: Select the type of trigger you have connected to the input.
Select "PIEZO" for triggers like pads or cymbals.
Select "SWITCH" if you are using a drum pad with a rim switch, a cymbal with an edge switch, or a footswitch.
(Note: This parameter is only seen on certain pages.) 

DM10 User Guide Pg 24

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 07:34:52 PM »
Thanks! Totally blanked on scrolling manually to the other standard trigger inputs. Still not registering correctly, but after swapping the cable, I'll mess with the settings and hopefully get it working. I'll report back either way for those running into similar issues.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 09:00:26 PM »
Thanks! Totally blanked on scrolling manually to the other standard trigger inputs. Still not registering correctly, but after swapping the cable, I'll mess with the settings and hopefully get it working. I'll report back either way for those running into similar issues.

The TruTrac was often criticized...especially when it came to rim velocity....if that's what you mean by not registering correctly.
DM10/Redbox can not produce a velocity on a traditional switch type triggering zone.
Here are a few links including an old posts from Hellfire with videos,wiring diagram for tricking the DM10/Redbox into thinking the rim is Piezo so you can have velocity

VDrum Forum

Alesis DM10, DM8 Velocity Switch Zone Triggering

Alesis DM10, Pearl REDbox Velocity Switch Triggering

Pearl ePro Live Variable Rim Velocity Test#1
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:29:59 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 09:51:14 PM »
Found some time today to mess around with a different cable and my spare DM10 module to try to get the rim sound to register. No go :-( I'm probably gonna pop the head off and see if there's a loose wire or something. Although I'm wondering if I should just grab some bare piezos and mod this thing to try to get it to work reliably. I've gone long enough without rimshots or side sticks! (although I've been having way more fun now that I've reworked all the other drums and HH. Had my xtalk settings and sensitivities and thresholds way off for years. Feels good being like 90% of the way there.