Author Topic: Strike Kick Drum Double Trigger  (Read 2354 times)

Strike Kick Drum Double Trigger
« on: November 15, 2019, 12:47:36 PM »
Hi Guys. I always seem to get double triggers on the kick drum. Ive adjusted the trigger settings but to stop it I have to set is so high that a quick pedal doesnt work at all. I thought I'd take a butchers inside to see if there was a machanical issue. However, on trying to remove the mesh I find that the sensor is glued or stuck to the inner ply. Is this normal or has it been messed with?

Thanks in advance

Offline Iggford

Re: Strike Kick Drum Double Trigger
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 10:59:29 AM »
That's normal.  Mine was like that also when I pulled mine apart to examine for problems related to the same issue you're having.  I was having some ghost triggering along with a lot of double triggers.  I've gotten mine calmed down mostly, but I've still noticed some on occasion.  I put a patch on the head and switched to the felt side of my beaters. 

I've noticed that if I hit lighter, I have the problem a lot more.  You could try loosening the head, but I don't think it has quite as much of an effect as the other pads because of the big foam column.  That was my observation anyway. 

--
Shawm

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 12:59:47 PM »
Very interesting. I have tried releasing the tension but as you say it didnt make much difference. Ill give the patch idea try. Thanks for the feedback by the way.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »
No problem at all! 

I'm sure there's some trick with the sensitivity settings also, but I haven't found that sweet spot just yet.  I think my ghost triggering is coming from different venues we play at, and the reaction of the kick to vibrations from our PA, because I haven't noticed it at all when I'm set up at home. 

Hopefully the beater issue will at least get you started in the right direction!

--
Shawn

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 12:26:23 PM »
Play with the retrigger setting in the triggers for the kick drum.  Raise it until the double triggers stop or minimize.  This is the amount of time before a second trigger will activate a sound so if you raise it the secondary bounces of the beater will be too close to the initial signal to trigger a sound. If too high you may miss triggers on fast double bass but you have to be playing real fast to be within the time of a secondary bounce.  This setting is basically a gate

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 07:04:47 AM »
Took the threshhold to 32 and it cured the problem. Happy bunny now. ;D