Author Topic: DM5 Module OLD but durable and dependable  (Read 5600 times)

DM5 Module OLD but durable and dependable
« on: December 15, 2009, 11:51:53 PM »
OLDer is not always better but in some cases it is. Like cars for example, they make em safter now but not as tough as they did back in the day. Like steel, cast iron.. Now its plastic, and ABS plastic.

I just wanted to mention to anyone trying to make the choice, the DM5 module is awesome. The drum sounds are great and the module itself will last a very long time. I bet it'll last longer then any of that plastic crap others come out with. I hate plastic..

If you can pickup the module for 250, do it now. Even if it's used.

Offline Guinness

Re: DM5 Module OLD but durable and dependable
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 01:26:17 PM »
I just purchased the DM5 Pro Kit.  After updating to the syx on alesis' site, the samples are pretty darn good!   There's things I'd wish it'd do...  run ipod thru, or choke crashes... but so far, I'm happy.   (although, I am having an "open" hi-hat problem).

Now, i need to learn more about tweaking and creating kits more to my liking.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 01:57:52 PM »
I just purchased the DM5 Pro Kit.  After updating to the syx on alesis' site, the samples are pretty darn good!   There's things I'd wish it'd do...  run ipod thru, or choke crashes... but so far, I'm happy.   (although, I am having an "open" hi-hat problem).

Now, i need to learn more about tweaking and creating kits more to my liking.
I just posted over at eDf about your hi-hat issues. But I'll copy it here so people don't have to go back and forth.

However, fixing the hi-hat is important. I uploaded the Syx file from Alesis last night and the problem still exists. Restoring to factory defaults would do nothing, as it's still in factory defaults. the problem existed with both ROM files (the original, and the one I loaded last night.... MUCH BETTER SAMPLES, by the way)

Actually, they are the same sound samples. They are just tweaked, which you can do yourself once you get comfortable using your module.

Back to the hi-hat..If you were to unplug the hi-hat pedal switch (unplug from the back of the module, then turn it on), does it do the same thing?

When the pedal is plugged in does it do anything? Meaning, is the sound of the hi-hat different when your foot is off of it than when it is on it? If you just use the hi-hat pedal do you get the "chick" (sound of the hi-hat closing) sound? Just trying to get more info on the issue. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being a pain.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 02:46:05 PM »
Hellfire-  ur not being a pain at all.  Thanks for the help!

I haven't tried it with the pedal unplugged.  I will when I get home.

The pedal does make the closing of hi-hat sound.  Pedal:  when depressed, does change the hi-hat to closed; when not pressed, the hi-hat produces an open sound when triggered.

If I lightly hit the hi-hat, it'll ring.  If I hit it harder, it stops short.  when playing it open, it sounds as though I'm toggling the pedal. (if that makes sense?)

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 12:55:54 PM »
Back to the hi-hat..If you were to unplug the hi-hat pedal switch (unplug from the back of the module, then turn it on), does it do the same thing?

When the pedal is plugged in does it do anything? Meaning, is the sound of the hi-hat different when your foot is off of it than when it is on it? If you just use the hi-hat pedal do you get the "chick" (sound of the hi-hat closing) sound? Just trying to get more info on the issue. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being a pain.

I did reset to factory settings and the hi-hat is still the same.  (then reloaded syx file)
I tried unplugging the pedal and playing.. no effect.

The pedal works fine.  i've swapped out patch cables, no difference.   
Without uploading the sound for you to listen to what I'm hearing, I'll do my best to describe...   Playing the hi-hat softly, so that the trigg level never reaches 12, it'll ring fine enough.  However, if I play normally, it's as if, as soon as the trig lvl hits 12, the cymbols close and make the Pssst sound with each stick hit.  It cuts the previous note short.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 12:59:32 PM by Guinness »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 02:39:03 PM »
Update:
Ok... well, somehow, I got it fixed.  I changed a setting...  and I'll be damned that I can't remember. I think it was Decay.  Before, when I hit an open hi-hat...  in all kits...  it would not play the note all the way through.  Now it does..  BUT, the open hi-hat, doesn't stop when i press the pedal...  eventually it does, but pressing the pedal doesn't cut off the last hi-hat open note.

Now that I think about it, I only changed "decay" on one kit.. adn trigger level.   Yet, the hi-hat plays open on all kits.   Maybe I didn't do anything and it corrected itself??   (but now with the new problem of not being able to close the hi-hat and stop that note short.   Yes, it does play closed hi-hat, but you can hear the open hi-hat ring in the background until it's done)

Fun stuff...   :-\

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 02:50:20 PM »
Update:
Ok... well, somehow, I got it fixed.  I changed a setting...  and I'll be damned that I can't remember. I think it was Decay.  Before, when I hit an open hi-hat...  in all kits...  it would not play the note all the way through.  Now it does..  BUT, the open hi-hat, doesn't stop when i press the pedal...  eventually it does, but pressing the pedal doesn't cut off the last hi-hat open note.

Now that I think about it, I only changed "decay" on one kit.. adn trigger level.   Yet, the hi-hat plays open on all kits.   Maybe I didn't do anything and it corrected itself??   (but now with the new problem of not being able to close the hi-hat and stop that note short.   Yes, it does play closed hi-hat, but you can hear the open hi-hat ring in the background until it's done)

Fun stuff...   :-\
Alright, I now think I know what the problem is. For the hi-hat to function on the DM5, it has to be set-up in a "group". Having sounds assigned to a "group" allows one sound to cut-off the other sound. I would bet that you only had this problem with more than one stick strike. It only cuts off the sound when you hit the cymbal again. Is that correct? So, when you are hitting the hi-hat in the closed position this would not be a problem because the decay of the close hi-hat sound is very short. Would that be correct? You are now getting your open hi-hat sound to work because chances are you changed its grouping. Which would sound the way you describe above. Before I go on, I want to make sure we are following each other. Am I right so far?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 02:58:03 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 04:02:34 PM »
Alright, I now think I know what the problem is. For the hi-hat to function on the DM5, it has to be set-up in a "group". Having sounds assigned to a "group" allows one sound to cut-off the other sound. I would bet that you only had this problem with more than one stick strike. It only cuts off the sound when you hit the cymbal again. Is that correct? So, when you are hitting the hi-hat in the closed position this would not be a problem because the decay of the close hi-hat sound is very short. Would that be correct? You are now getting your open hi-hat sound to work because chances are you changed its grouping. Which would sound the way you describe above. Before I go on, I want to make sure we are following each other. Am I right so far?

that sounds pretty logical.  It makes sense 'cause the closed and open sounds are acting independently of each other.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 04:11:22 PM »
update:
All triggers are on group Multi.

I changed Hihat Open, HiHat Closed, and Pedal to Group 1.   Now when I hit an open hihat, then press the pedal shortly thereafter, the hi-hat closes [sound], then hi-hat close.   

I want to figure out how to make that Psst sound.... like the beginning of:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORAvMk-iXec

Also...  side question:  I get some static when a sound triggers.  It's faint and can't hear it during normal play, but can when messing with settings.  I know it could be from anything...  noise in the AC line, for example.  But any other thoughts?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 04:53:21 PM »
update:
All triggers are on group Multi.

I changed Hihat Open, HiHat Closed, and Pedal to Group 1.   Now when I hit an open hihat, then press the pedal shortly thereafter, the hi-hat closes [sound], then hi-hat close.   

I want to figure out how to make that Psst sound.... like the beginning of:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORAvMk-iXec

Also...  side question:  I get some static when a sound triggers.  It's faint and can't hear it during normal play, but can when messing with settings.  I know it could be from anything...  noise in the AC line, for example.  But any other thoughts?
Ok...Can you simulate that psst with your hi-hat now? It won't sound exactly the same as in the song you linked but it should be some what similar. I hate to be the one to tell you this but I think you are wanting more out of your drum module then you will be able to get. When you hit your open hi-hat sound and then step on the pedal to close it (you would then hear the closed pedal sound) that is as close as the DM5 can get to that sound. It is a limitation of the DM5. I'm pretty sure this is the issue, but without a sound sample I can not know for sure. Are you able to record a short sample of you playing "Walk this Way"?

As for the static (if it is the very faint static that you hear in the background as the sample decays), again, inherent to the DM5. Not much you can do about it.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 07:05:52 PM »
All works now.  I can live with the limitation, and it just gets some getting used to.  I can actually come pretty close to the Psst sound.  (or whatever that's called.  LOL)

Thanks for your help!

My next set of questions will be about tuning, etc...  I think I have a handle on it, but not positive.  I'll start a new thread when I'm in the mood to tackle that issue.

While I like the DM5, I kinda, sorta think I would have liked newer technology better.   But for my first e-Set, it's a lot better than the Ion kit I had [for 2 days, lol].

Laters

Offline Guinness

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 07:56:51 PM »
Crap!   Now the hi-hat is doing it's thing again... On Open it's stoping short randomly.  I keep thinking my foot is on the pedal and accidentally hitting it.  Nope....  with my foot on the floor, and fast hard hits, the open hi-hat cuts out.

I think I'm starting to get frustrated.   Could I have a bad dM5?

If I return this, I'm returning the entire kit and starting anew. 
<sigh>

(I also can seem to find a good sounding snare...  all I play with is the voice, and then pitch.  I don't think here's another setting, right?)

also.. another side note...  since this kit doesn't come with an additional trigger, I'm using the dual snare as my ride (atm).  Wierd hitting the rim of this little 8" snare for my ride.  I wanted two cymbals, so I moved my ride to the dual snare.  :)

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »
Crap!   Now the hi-hat is doing it's thing again... On Open it's stoping short randomly.  I keep thinking my foot is on the pedal and accidentally hitting it.  Nope....  with my foot on the floor, and fast hard hits, the open hi-hat cuts out.

I think I'm starting to get frustrated.   Could I have a bad dM5?

If I return this, I'm returning the entire kit and starting anew. 
<sigh>

(I also can seem to find a good sounding snare...  all I play with is the voice, and then pitch.  I don't think here's another setting, right?)

also.. another side note...  since this kit doesn't come with an additional trigger, I'm using the dual snare as my ride (atm).  Wierd hitting the rim of this little 8" snare for my ride.  I wanted two cymbals, so I moved my ride to the dual snare.  :)
If you had it working and now it is not, and nothing has changed, then maybe you do have a bad DM5. I don't know. It would be great if I could hear a sample of what you are talking about. :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:16:15 AM by Hellfire »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 02:16:44 AM »
It works now.  I changed the decay to 99...  then realized that it wouldn't play double time.... only register every other hit.. so i lowered it down to 30 or something.  Seems to be working ok.   Although, I can't find a hi-hat/cymbal sounds l like (realistic)..  but I'm working on it.  Pitch helps.   Watching you play with the DM10 hi-hat had me pretty envious.  :D

I will say, I really like these mylar heads!

ttyl..  thanks for the help!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 11:20:35 AM »
It works now.  I changed the decay to 99...  then realized that it wouldn't play double time.... only register every other hit.. so i lowered it down to 30 or something.  Seems to be working ok.   Although, I can't find a hi-hat/cymbal sounds l like (realistic)..  but I'm working on it.  Pitch helps.   Watching you play with the DM10 hi-hat had me pretty envious.  :D

I will say, I really like these mylar heads!

ttyl..  thanks for the help!
I'm glad to hear you got it working. Don't be envious. I too once used a DM5 and worked my way up. You can see some of my different edrum kits in the Gallery over at HellfireDrums.com.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 07:53:45 PM »
I'm seriously considering returning the whole kit.  No variable hi-hat is hard to get used to.  I guess I didn't realize how much hi-hat work I do.  <sigh>   GC has a 30 day return policy, so I'll give it a bit more time.

what else sucks is I purchased a 2-channel mixer so I can play with my ipod, and while the kit sounds great, the ipod 'line level' kicks out too much voltage, so it sounds like poop.   

On the other hand, I certainly have enjoyed playing again.  i'm quite rusty.  :D

maybe in 6 months the DM10 will come down in price.

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 09:24:52 PM »
OLDer is not always better but in some cases it is. Like cars for example, they make em safter now but not as tough as they did back in the day. Like steel, cast iron.. Now its plastic, and ABS plastic.

I just wanted to mention to anyone trying to make the choice, the DM5 module is awesome. The drum sounds are great and the module itself will last a very long time. I bet it'll last longer then any of that plastic crap others come out with. I hate plastic..

If you can pickup the module for 250, do it now. Even if it's used.

Greetings All!!!

Not sure if this is relevant to the quote...

I had been looking into learning drums for a while  and decided that e-drums would be the answer for my spacial and sound considerations. 

After reading reviews and going to demo different drum kits/modules I finally had decided "I cant afford this stuff" and considered that making my own will probably be the only option I have to get into it. So off I am. I'm kinda handy.

I have decided on the Alesis DM5 (Eeebay, used for 170) for the start of my percussive evolution. Have plans for a PVC rack, 1-1/4" filled with a concrete & sand mix for stability and to deaden vibration. The drum heads themselves I have decided on preparing them with mesh rather than rubber for the lack of sound produced and the replace-ability of the head. 

Sounds kinda primitive, I know, but I'll post pictures and updates as I progress with it within the next few weeks, and will also let you know the cost on my project both financially & ... mentally. 

Give me a slap if I should post this elsewhere

Cheers!!!

Offline Guinness

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 02:47:48 AM »
sound is important right?  The DM5 may dissapoint you.

I look forward to seeing your drums.  Pls post pics.  :)