Author Topic: Trigger I/O, one input, dual zone pad, built in "x talk"?  (Read 10010 times)

Online Hellfire

Trigger I/O, one input, dual zone pad, built in "x talk"?
« on: August 09, 2009, 04:34:55 PM »
I have found that when using two single zone triggers in the same input (i.e. splitting a single 1/4" input into two single inputs) that there is a built in "x-talk" factor of sorts that can't be changed. This makes it difficult to fire off those two triggers at the same time. I was able to over come this by using two separate physical inputs on the I/O. I discovered this when I was trying to trigger both zones from a single input using only one piezo element. Both sounds would not trigger at the same time. Once I split the signal of the one piezo element over two separate inputs, I was able to trigger both sounds simultaneously.

I know to most people this will never be an issue, but with some of the DIY stuff I do, I kind of stumbled on it.

Offline rockdude

Re: Trigger I/O, one input, dual zone pad, built in "x talk"?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 01:39:07 AM »
You're correct Hellfire, I've noticed the same thing when I connected two single zone toms to one trs input in Alesis Trigger IO. I solved it the same way as you did. But I don't like splitting a lot of inputs so I hope Alesis make an update where it's possible to bypass this built in crosstalk factor. I use eTrigger for positional sensing and it needs the signal from both triggers in for example a two zone snare. It gets pretty messy when one zone is on one input and the other zone is split with for example a tom on another (and with that setup the snare and tom can't be triggered at the same time)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 02:40:07 AM by rockdude »

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 06:26:09 AM »
this is unfortunately true and really frustrating, i discovered it while trying to configure multi zone settings in edrum monitor, unfortunately this will never work unless i split the inputs. But this could means to waste 1 input since i don't know what kind of percussions i could place togheter with the snare or the rim. There is a waste even for the kick pad, since i can't use the second channel. I wish this feature could be disabled.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 07:51:34 PM »
Interesting.  I use single zone toms and frequently hit two at a time and I've never had / noticed this problem.  maybe I should see which ones are shared, and test more vigorously.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline rockdude

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 03:26:28 PM »
Try to insert two single zone toms into one stereo input and you should be able to hear it. Assign two easily distinguishable sounds to each tom and try to hit the toms at the same time. If you still can't notice it you could record the midi and look at it.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 05:16:50 PM »
Out of the box, is this is an issue?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 01:20:44 PM »
Out of the box, is this is an issue?
It is not really much of a problem unless you are trying to use eTrigger to get position sensing. Other than that, most will not find it a problem.

Offline rockdude

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 02:37:07 PM »
Your right Hellfire, but I think many will find it annoying if they split a stereo input and connect it to two different drumpads. Let's say you connect one of the channels to a hihat and the other to a snare. Then play a normal steady beat and now and then the snare or hihat will drop if struck at the same time. I choose this example since it's most prone to happen with a setup like that.

But out of the box a stereo input is meant to be assigned to a dual zone pad, for example center and rim on a snare or tom and with that set up crosstalk is more a plus than something annoying. So no worries there MKitch if you´re not planning to split inputs....but if Alesis would show The Trigger IO some love and deal with some of it's flaws it would become much more flexible and valuable.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 02:43:39 PM by rockdude »