Author Topic: Mounting my Sample Rack  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Dobly

Mounting my Sample Rack
« on: November 07, 2016, 05:24:17 PM »
Over in the Drum Modules / Machines thread I asked the question of how I could mount my sample rack unit to my DM10x rack.

Member rhysT to the rescue again suggest I have a look at how the DM5 was mounted.

This looked doable. Here is how I did it.

First I got 1 meter (3.2 feet) of 19mm (0.7 inch) galvanized pipe. Then gave it to a buddy of mine who has big vice at work and got him to squash the two ends.

Here it is cut and ready for the next step

In the mean time I had 2 of these I got on Ebay.

Next is a test run to work out how long to make the pipes and where I would need to drill holes.

Here is the final arrangement of the clamps. At this point I marked where to cut the excess pipe.

I only need 1 hole in each.

Next, I wanted to have as few nuts and bolts floating around as possible so I decided to epoxy the bolt onto the pipe.

This is just to stop the nut spinning, hold it a bit and make sure it does not fall out. It will never be under that much stress as you'll see below.

Next I put a little epoxy around the base of the thread on the other side.

Kids. Don't try this at home! This last step almost a disaster.. The Epoxy feels firm enough but in reality is it a liquid. I put the pipes down with the bolts at the top and this epoxy after about any hour had run down the thread in into the butterfly nut.

Lucky for me I spotted it and was able to clean it up with paper cloth. And over next few hours I put the butterfly nut back on and made sure it turned.. In the end it all worked out well.

The next day...

Job done.

As you can see, it does not need to the top nuts. And i only need to take off the two butterfly nuts to get the unit off. The nuts are not that tight either. Just firm enough to sit against rack. Gravity does the rest.

Offline rhysT

Re: Mounting my Sample Rack
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 09:09:57 PM »
Well done Dobly, and you may want to try relocating the SampleRack within closer reach under/in front of the DM10 module by inverting the support rods in their clamps. Its cabling should be a bit tidier and maybe rotate the hihat arm clamp by 180 degrees to allow better clearance for the SampleRack.
It's prob'ly a good time to acquire the SampleRack as they may be phased out soon after the Strike kits are released (previously reported on the 'official' Alesis forum).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:31:57 PM by rhysT »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 11:20:21 PM »
Yeah that might work to put it under the DM10. I'lll give it a try. As it is now it is easily reachable just above the hi hat.

I had been thinking about getting one for months. When I got word that it was being discontinued I grabbed one. I figured no matter what the future holds with the Stryke, Pearl Mimic etc, something like the Sample Rack will always be useful.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 11:00:48 PM »
I finally go around to painting these things.. I've been a bit quiet on the DIY so this is all I have.. ;)

First I mounted them on drum sticks and stuck the sticks into the ground. I put masking tape around the bottom of the sticks to keep the paint off them.

Then they got 2 coat of a special primer for galvanized metal. Several hours apart. 

Finally, 2 coats of a nice matt black.