Author Topic: Alesis dm14'' ride with one output?  (Read 2007 times)

Alesis dm14'' ride with one output?
« on: June 30, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »
Hey everyone :) I recently bought an Alesis DM14'' ride cymbal and it only has one output. The seller said that it was a dual zone, and I plugged it into my snare input (which is dual) on my Alesis Nitro module, and no matter where I hit it, it only triggers the snare sound and never the rim sound.

So I was wondering if my cymbal is truly dual zone.  Has anyone seen this kind of cymbal ( I know that normaly, the 14'' ride cymbal from Alesis has two output, but mine has only one).

If anyone has any idea, I would appreciate it. Thanks :)

Offline korakios

Re: Alesis dm14'' ride with one output?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 06:03:45 PM »
Hi,
First make sure you use a stereo cable  ;)
Also ,looking at the specs of the Nitro kit ,it seems only the crash input is compatible with the cymbal . One zone plus choke.
If you want it to act as true dual zone (making another sound when you hit the edge) you have to mod it .
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2068.0
Beside DIY you will need to loose an input, maybe one tom.
So it may not worth it (also you will have to strike hard the edge to be triggered and don't know if the Nitro kit has crosstalk settings to avoid bow triggering) 

Long story short , it's the module not capable of 2 different sounds on the cymbal.

Off-topic:
The DM10 module is also not capable since the edge is also a switch which only fakes an edge sound on fixed velocity (Except on the crash input where you have one sound and choke)
The 2 stereo output cymbals you mention , have an added bell switch and mostly are used on the DM10's ride plus another input , to fake edge/bell fixed velocity sound ,with true bow velocity capable sound , plus choke .
Don't know if the newer Crimson , DM10 MKII , Strike kits offer velocity capable bell/edge zones with choke
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 06:05:44 PM by korakios »

Offline ironman187

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 06:47:13 PM »
The ride on my crimson kit only has one jack, are you using a TRS cable with it, or just a TS cable? Also, the ride is a switch for bell, piezo for bow, and switch for edge. If you plug it into an input that only supports piezo/piezo, your switch is not going to work, meaning the module will only read the bow trigger.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 06:51:46 PM by ironman187 »

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 07:14:18 PM »
Thanks a lot guys :) Yes I am using a TRS cable. I think that ironman187 may be right : the imput that I am using with my ride is probably piezo/piezo, so I will use the ride as a single zone only :(

Thanks for your answers :)