Author Topic: Why the problems with mesh heads not aligning?  (Read 1887 times)

Offline vappicewins

Why the problems with mesh heads not aligning?
« on: March 29, 2014, 01:06:37 PM »
Howdy again all.  I've been doing some DIY projects on my DM10X kit as mentioned on here (Hellfire's foam only with mesh conversion, AHayden's foam for cone (ACE), etc).  My question revolves around the fact that certain mesh heads, the BBII I bought being one brand, seem to have problems popping out from under the hoop.  I did run into that problem with my 12" trigger, but not my 8".  Is this just a problem with BB and 682 drum heads?  Do any folks who used Pintech or Roland 12" trigger mesh heads have this same problem?  I fixed the problem with my 12" trigger by using a 12" hoop I had laying around from my first Royce drum kit from many moons ago (30+ years, dad bought it with his income tax thank God).  I like the BB II heads, but that is a deal breaker for me on my 12" pads if each is going to do that.  I can buy new hoops, but should not have to.

BTW, I hope all is well with you AHayden, haven't seen any of your insightful posts lately.  Your foam spacer/cone conversion is working pretty good with my 8" bass trigger, but I have to do some more fine tuning on it as I bought way too big a stick of insulation - 2" wide!!!!  ;D  My bad!!  Going to get the more correct size today and use the 2" for dampening on the rack. 

Offline MykH89

Re: Why the problems with mesh heads not aligning?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 03:20:28 PM »
Hey vappice, I'm not sure why your having this problem with 12" BBII heads. I've read multiple times about this being an issue with the 682 Drum's heads, but I have six 12" pads with BBII heads on my kit and have had no problem with them. I'm curious though, do your 12" pads have wood or plastic shells?
DM10X Dual Module Setup, Performance Pad Pro, Custom X-Rack, Three 10" Pads, Six 12" Pads, Three 12" Cymbals, Four 14" Cymbals, Three 16" Cymbals, Trick Drums Pedals & Hardware

Offline vappicewins

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 12:40:23 AM »
MykH89, thanks for the reply, and the pads are wood.  I don't know why I had that problem with the 12" pad I converted to mesh, but sure enough, no amount of twisting, turning or trying to align it would work.  The heads counter hoop just seems to be a few millimeters too small to me.  I do like the BBII's, but scared to try 2 more and run into the same problem.  But as I said, the 8" BBII head fit like a glove with the original Alesis hoop.  ???  Strange.  There is also the issue of the 3rd layer of the head not seeming to tighten and staying floppy, but it doesn't affect the tracking at all, so no biggie on that.

I do read that it normally happens with the 12" pads, but you had no problems and have 6 of them.  I'm stumped.  Glad I had that old hoop to use.

Offline MykH89

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 09:50:01 AM »
Hmm, mine are also wood shells. I was thinking maybe it was a problem with the plastic shelled Alesis 12" pads, but I don't know though. At first I also had a problem with all three layers of the BBII heads tightening the same. I figured out that if I treat it like a regular head on an acoustic shell, pushing down on the middle of the head to stretch and center it randomly throughout tightening, it aligned all the layers and they have even tension now...
DM10X Dual Module Setup, Performance Pad Pro, Custom X-Rack, Three 10" Pads, Six 12" Pads, Three 12" Cymbals, Four 14" Cymbals, Three 16" Cymbals, Trick Drums Pedals & Hardware