Author Topic: Connecting two Alesis Trigger I/O's together  (Read 5652 times)

Connecting two Alesis Trigger I/O's together
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »
Is it possible to dasiy chain two trigger i/o's together to get more trigger inputs? If it is possible how do you do it? Thanks!
Alesis DM10 Studio /w pearl mesh heads, Alesis Trigger I/O, Mapex Falcon double pedal, Roc N Soc throne, Vic Firth sticks, Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry expansion, Sonar 1x Studio

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules"

Offline Hellfire

Re: Connecting two Alesis Trigger I/O's together
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:11:32 AM »
Is it possible to dasiy chain two trigger i/o's together to get more trigger inputs? If it is possible how do you do it? Thanks!
The Trigger I/O only has a "midi out" jack and a USB midi jack. You should be able to plug two Trigger I/O's into your computer via USB. I have not done this myself, but I remember see a user over at Vdrums.com that did just that. I seem to remember that it depends on the vst that one is using. Basically, will it accept more than one USB TMI (Trigger Midi Interface) midi device. So, in short you can not chain two I/O's together, but you can plug two I/O's into your computer as two USB devices. That is about as far as I can help you since I never did it myself. I hope that helps in some way.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 07:47:12 AM »
For most drum VSTi's in DAWs it's possible to receive MIDI notes over USB from more than one external MIDI device simultaneously. It depends on the options of the DAW (also called VST host) if you could receive MIDI data from all devices on a single track where your drum plugin "lives". Normally you can switch between "All devices" or a specific one. But selecting dedicated MIDI channels doesn't work this way in some DAWs like GarageBand.

Thus it's important to assign real different MIDI notes to the triggers/instruments in both Trigger I/O and use the same MIDI channel. And keep in mind that with this setup you can't use another MIDI device like a keyboard simultaneously because it's MIDI notes would be send also to the drum plugin.

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:32:09 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys! The reason I ask is I dont use the onboard sounds on the DM10. I am seriously considering selling or trading the DM10 module and getting the Trigger I/O instead. Other than the onboard sounds are there any advantages to keeping the DM10?
Alesis DM10 Studio /w pearl mesh heads, Alesis Trigger I/O, Mapex Falcon double pedal, Roc N Soc throne, Vic Firth sticks, Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry expansion, Sonar 1x Studio

Offline vaikl

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 10:02:05 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys! The reason I ask is I dont use the onboard sounds on the DM10. I am seriously considering selling or trading the DM10 module and getting the Trigger I/O instead. Other than the onboard sounds are there any advantages to keeping the DM10?

You would lose two trigger inputs in one module, but that's mostly all about disadvantages. If you get a fair price for the DM10 then it's a good deal if you don't need the onboard sounds. The MIDI implementation is comparable to the DM10, but there's no comfortable GUI in front of you, like the mixer controls of the DM10.

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 10:31:53 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the reply. I thought about losing two inputs so thats why I was asking if you could dasiy chain two I/O's. I think I will try to sell it. I should be able to get two trigger I/O's and a couple cymbal pads out of selling it. I found this thing today on a website called a midi merger to that looks like it might work to connect to I/O's. Anyway thanks again!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 01:47:52 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the reply. I thought about losing two inputs so thats why I was asking if you could dasiy chain two I/O's. I think I will try to sell it. I should be able to get two trigger I/O's and a couple cymbal pads out of selling it. I found this thing today on a website called a midi merger to that looks like it might work to connect to I/O's. Anyway thanks again!
If you are trying to save money, I would think two I/O's are the way to go. Keep in mind that you can chain a Trigger I/O to a DM10. I don't know if that helps in any way. I do prefer the user interface of the the DM10 over the Trigger I/O, but the Trigger I/O would work just as well. Keep in mind also the the ride input on the Trigger I/O is a little different than the other inputs on the I/O. The ride input on the I/O is hard wired for piezo/switch and it assumes you are using the switch as a zone and not a choke function. The other inputs on the Trigger I/O can be set to piezo/switch, but for choke purposes only. I hope that helps.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the info HF! So your saying with the trigger io I can't choke the ride? If so that's fine, honestly who chokes their ride anyway.thanks I think I have decided to sell it and buy the trigger io. Thanks!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the info HF! So your saying with the trigger io I can't choke the ride? If so that's fine, honestly who chokes their ride anyway.thanks I think I have decided to sell it and buy the trigger io. Thanks!
Yes, I guess that is one way to look at it. Keep in mind also that a switch zone (referring to the ride input on the Trigger I/O) can not sense velocity. So, you will not get dynamics from that switch input. However, nothing states that you can't put a piezo/piezo ride on another input of the Trigger I/O. Just thought I should put that info out there. ;) Good luck and let us know how it works for you.