Author Topic: DM10 MKii Pro Ding, Boing Bong go the toms  (Read 1109 times)

DM10 MKii Pro Ding, Boing Bong go the toms
« on: January 01, 2019, 07:03:27 AM »
Gee, seriously, why do the toms sound like freaking bells? That's my biggest gripe with the sounds on this module. With stock settings they sound like a kid's toy. After tuning down and setting decay to -1 it's tolerable. Why can't a manufacture put at least one super quality kit on like from A2D?

Ok, enough gripe. I noticed that you can load audio samples. It has sample A and B. So, I'm assuming that is for a layered sound so it doesn't machine gun. Where might I find some free layered tom sounds? Or any suggestions to make the stock sounds better?

Re: DM10 MKii Pro Ding, Boing Bong go the toms
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 07:56:21 AM »
I've done some research on this and might have found a simple low cost solution. The DM10 MKii allows the import of 2 wave samples for a trigger. Only option on this is to assign the trigger a voice and the velocity point at which voice B is used vs voice A. This is very similar to the new Strike Pro module.

The Strike has more options for each voice being the main difference. The next step is to use https://www.lustark.com/sdse to extract sounds from a VST. For instance A2D. SDSDE will create about 30 wave samples for each trigger. Select the Strike Pro as the output device since it uses the same format as the MKii Pro. The samples range in amplitude from very quiet to loud. You need to pick a loud one and one that's a little less. My thoughts on this is that the module adjusts the volume of the sample based on the Velocity of the hit. In A2D the velocity selects from the 30 samples. Which is why is sounds SO SO GOOD. Unfortunately we only get two. But it is the kit from A2D and sounds better than the built-in samples on your module.

So if you are no happy with the DM10 MKii Pro sounds, this might work for you.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 06:06:05 AM »
Question: I loaded sounds for the HiHat and Crashes. But I no longer have chokes or HiHat Closed. When you edit the kit for the crashes, choke is not an option. Edit the Hihat and closed is not an option. After sleeping on it, perhaps does one of the waves need to be the choked crash? Perhaps that's triggered when the switch is pressed? On the Hi Hat does the pedal cause the velo to go lower or higher, thus forcing to use wave A or B instead of a layering effect?

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 07:20:09 PM »
Ideas anyone? I'm stuck. No HiHat closed with user voices.

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 04:15:02 PM »
Module has 16mb limit for user voices. I heard the Strike has this limit too, but could be upgraded. You can do 99 if you can fit them in 16mb. Yeah right. No solutions on HiHat or cymbal chokes. Gave up. The better sounding toms and kick make a big difference from A2D. Some of the stock module Hats / cymbals and snares (has BluJay snare) sound good. So just mix those with your user voices and overall, really good.  Also tuning helps on the included toms as most are tuned too high for my liking.

If any one wants to share kit settings this is possible just like the Strike.