Author Topic: DM6 sound failure  (Read 1499 times)

DM6 sound failure
« on: November 09, 2018, 08:08:02 AM »
My son has a DM6 set up, (several years old).  Recently the sound has started dropping out, after a few minutes of use.  He does not use it for anything extravagant, he just plays the drums.  When you first turn it on, it seems to work fine.  All of the icons light up when you hit the drum/cymbal heads, and the sound is fine.  However, within just a minute or 2, the sound goes away.  The icons still light up indicating a recognized strike, but there is no sound to go along with it.  He loves this set, and honestly I don't have the money to replace it right now.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

S

Offline Hellfire

Re: DM6 sound failure
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 08:25:49 AM »
My son has a DM6 set up, (several years old).  Recently the sound has started dropping out, after a few minutes of use.  He does not use it for anything extravagant, he just plays the drums.  When you first turn it on, it seems to work fine.  All of the icons light up when you hit the drum/cymbal heads, and the sound is fine.  However, within just a minute or 2, the sound goes away.  The icons still light up indicating a recognized strike, but there is no sound to go along with it.  He loves this set, and honestly I don't have the money to replace it right now.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

S

Hi S,

Welcome to the forum. There are several different things that could cause this:

- I assuming you're using headphones, it could be flaky headphones.
- The headphone output jack on the module could be loose or dirty.
- You may need to reset the drum module (assuming the DM6 is able to do this, please refer to the manual for this procedure)
- Your power supply might be flaky.

I guess the best thing to start with is a possible module reset (again assuming the DM6 can do this, you will need to look in the manual for this info). Next try unplugging and plugging everything just to make sure it isn't a dirty connection. At that point you might want to try different headphone/earbuds. At that point (if you still have the issue) try a new power supply (please make sure you get a power supply with the same specs as the original supply. The spec are normally printed on the power supply itself). If all of that doesn't work you most likely have a bad module and you might want to consider eBay for a used DM6 module replacement.

I hope that helps and again welcome to the forum.

HF

Offline AlanK

Re: DM6 sound failure
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 09:34:59 AM »
I agree the first possibility should be the headset, since it still shows hits on the module. If a different set of headphones does the same thing, it may also be the connector. I'd want to then try the main outs (if there are some on the DM6). If there are a pair of stereo main outs, and generally the Left can be used for a stereo headset to get both in one plug, try your headset (or powered speakers) in there (careful of the volume though, no idea if it'd be super loud). But if you can get sound to your same headset without the dropoffs that way then you'd know for sure it's your headphone outlet that's bad. At least then you could eliminate that as the problem and then go for the factory reset idea or others
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers