Author Topic: DM10 Studio -> Strike Pro SE or (td27kv)?  (Read 964 times)

DM10 Studio -> Strike Pro SE or (td27kv)?
« on: November 13, 2020, 08:40:28 PM »
Hello all,
Hope you are all well, think I signed up here about 6 years ago :)
I have never needed to post a question before as any I've had (100's) have all been answered by searching on here, so many thanks to all of you for such a great alesis/e-drum resource, cheers!

I want to ask if anyone can compare dm10 studio pads (mesh conversion), snare and ride with strike pro se kit, and strike pro se vs, am I allowed to say? td27kv?

I'm sure I should post this in an appropriate category, I have some long-winded questions, can you let me know?

Many thanks
Iain

Re: DM10 Studio -> Strike Pro SE or (td27kv)?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 08:06:25 PM »
The sounds on my dm10 module, to me, seem much more realistic than any roland ones I've heard online.
I've been playing on and off on jamkazam, latest update with media relay server thing seems really good btw, and quite a few people have commented on how good the drums sound, and surprised they were e-drums!

I think Alesis stuff is great, v good VFM, I teach on these a bit, well did, so the realistic mesh/foam backed, acoustically quiet, not too bouncy feel and realistic head tension is important, I gather roland pads are quite bouncy?
I think that roland and other edrum co's thought they would create edrum-only players that would benefit from small bouncy pads, but I really want realism for practice/teaching.

1) Is the strike pro a significant step up from a dm10 studio with hellfire mesh head conversion (many years ago, but thank you hellfire!), snare sensitivity, ride / bell playability, tom feel etc?

2) should I buy strike pro SE or save more for a td27kv?

I'm thinking online jams/teaching/gigs might be a thing I should blow my savings on, as being a carer for my misses, 8 months isolation so far and many more to go yet, I'm not going to get out gigging for ages, then a whole load more shite in the uk from brexit and vaccine roll-out, the rich get richer and ...

Keep drumming, best way to stay sane and a bit of exercise too  :)
Iain

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 09:03:33 AM »
Hi Iain,

That's a tough one. With the whole virus thing I'm not sure if this is possible, but if you can you really need to try and find a music store that might have those kits on display to try out. I really don't think you would be disappointed with either of those two kits. If you go with the Strike, just make sure it is the SE version and not the older plain version. The SE looks to have "fixed" many of the issues with the original Strike.

Good luck!

HF

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 08:13:53 PM »
The sounds on my dm10 module, to me, seem much more realistic than any roland ones I've heard online.
I've been playing on and off on jamkazam, latest update with media relay server thing seems really good btw, and quite a few people have commented on how good the drums sound, and surprised they were e-drums!

I think Alesis stuff is great, v good VFM, I teach on these a bit, well did, so the realistic mesh/foam backed, acoustically quiet, not too bouncy feel and realistic head tension is important, I gather roland pads are quite bouncy?
I think that roland and other edrum co's thought they would create edrum-only players that would benefit from small bouncy pads, but I really want realism for practice/teaching.

1) Is the strike pro a significant step up from a dm10 studio with hellfire mesh head conversion (many years ago, but thank you hellfire!), snare sensitivity, ride / bell playability, tom feel etc?

2) should I buy strike pro SE or save more for a td27kv?

Here is a video that should help answer most of your questions..as far as a comparison between the STRIKE PRO SE vs the TD27KV.Nothing beats the in person experience tho..

Alesis Strike Pro SE -VS- Roland TD27KV (Deep Dive Comparison)

I'm thinking online jams/teaching/gigs might be a thing I should blow my savings on, as being a carer for my misses, 8 months isolation so far and many more to go yet, I'm not going to get out gigging for ages, then a whole load more shite in the uk from brexit and vaccine roll-out, the rich get richer and

Are you setting up as a teacher on Jamkazam or looking to do something else?
If you are happy with the DM10 , have you considered using drum software..Addictive Drums,EZ Drummer,Steven Slate Drums,Superior Drummer..etc.
Jamkazam has Vst support , but for 32 bit only right now so you would be limited on certain software unless you used something like J-Bridge.
Some of the drum software companies have gone strictly 64 bit as you need the larger amount of RAM for the libraries.
Jamkazam hopefully will update to 64 bit , it would be to everyone benefit to not have the 32 bit RAM restriction.

There is Steven Slate Drums (64 bit only) SSD5.5 FREE version..currently the Full version is on sale on the Slate website and there are Deals at retailers for the Full Version SSD5 for around $60.00 USD ($90.00 off)

The DM10 is over a decade old and tends to have a little more latency, an upgraded TMI to consider that is replacing a number of drum modules for Vst/software use would be the eDRUMin 10

These 2 topics have a few links to different ways individuals/bands monetize during the current situation (COVID).. software etc etc.
Maybe you'll see something of interest..

SELF ISOLATION

VIRTUAL REALITY CONCERTS

EDIT:
There is an issue with the TD27 module and various Hi Hats ..choking on their own etc..
If enough complaints are made Roland may be forced to fix it..
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 04:31:57 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 12:01:49 PM »
Thank you for the replies, lots of good advice and info.

(thank you so much Chaser for all your work and effort replying to me, I stupidly didnt click the notify button, hence the late reply, it is much appreciated, cheers)

Think i've watched all the youtube vids, hard to know how biased they are, but thank you.

As both Hellfire and Chaser said it'd be great if I could get to play them both before buying, but unfortunately I can't...

Yeah I have Addictive Drums and reaper set up which I managed to get to play into jamkazam a while back, but tbh, the sounds and kits on the DM10 module are more than fine for teaching/jamming.
Its that 2 cymbals are starting to miss trigger and another tom, I have replaced the piezo's on a couple of toms, not done a cymbal yet..., but I then thought its an excuse to upgrade, gonna be plunged into poverty sooner or later, be nice to have some better drums to play while being trapped, even if we cant buy food :), gotta get your priorities right!

I think the fact that I posted the question here means I'm leaning towards strike pro SE, such good vfm :)

I read this back and what I hoped was succinct actually comes across as as arrogant and rude. I am sorry for that and genuinely thank you for your replies. Stay safe everyone.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 08:53:27 PM by Flaggy »