Author Topic: JamDock just arrived!  (Read 10020 times)

Re: JamDock just arrived!
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 03:06:16 PM »
Hi ya, would ask if its good but since I'm in the UK it doesn't look like we will get it....booooo...even though I bought a 10pro kit...hmmm Alesis you need to treat all the same...please.

Rob
Drumming the beat to life...

Offline Guinness

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 11:56:52 PM »
well, I got it all set up.   patch cords from the DM10 to the JamDock, headphones out of the jamdock, and the jamdock out to my pc (for recording).  I'm having a helluva time getting the volume high enough (to match ipod's output) and not have it clip.  I had this same problem with the mixer I bought for my DM5....  at high volumes, distortion and clipping is just crappy.

Suggestions?

(Yes, i have it set to "line").  Main volume on the module is at about halfway, and the input volume on the jamdock is at about 3/4.  I've tried many variations, and always end up with clipping.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2010, 02:22:43 AM »
I messed with it again tonight, and it still clips at the volume I want.  I wonder if it's the headphones.

When playing the ipod alone, i find the max volume... do the same for the drum module.  But when combined (play both) I get clipping.   turning both down, it's fine, but then I hear my sticks on the pads/cyms.

Suggestions?

Could it be that my headphones wire is too thin and they can't handle the bandwidth?  It is a 1/8 jack.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 11:39:32 AM by Guinness »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 11:41:35 AM »
I messed with it again tonight, and it still clips at the volume I want.  I wonder if it's the headphones.

When playing the ipod alone, i find the max volume... do the same for the drum module.  But when combined (play both) I get clipping.   turning both down, it's fine, but then I hear my sticks on the pads/cyms.

Suggestions?
Different headphones. Yes, the clipping has to do with what speaker/headphones you are using. Remember, the signal coming from the DM10 is not compressed like music from a CD. This can cause a clipping problem with standard home stereo equipment. I would use as isolation type head phone. That's just my 2 cents. ;)

Offline Guinness

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 03:28:51 AM »
I don't get clipping straight from the headphone jack on the module, even at full volume.  It's only when I combine the ipod and module via the jamdock.

HF, per your "clipping on home stereo equipment" point...  Are the Main and Aux hotter than headphone jack?  Main and Aux are line and not amplified like headphone, so it's not necesarily hotter.   (by hot, I mean higher voltage.)

this brings me to my next question...  as you may have read, I'm considering using two high-current amps to speakers from the Main.  Speakers are hard as every PA speaker (unpowered) I see has an average freqency down to 70hz.  That falls way short of my expectations.  Home speakers I can get down to 40hz.    thoughts?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 09:10:39 AM »
I don't get clipping straight from the headphone jack on the module, even at full volume.  It's only when I combine the ipod and module via the jamdock.

HF, per your "clipping on home stereo equipment" point...  Are the Main and Aux hotter than headphone jack?  Main and Aux are line and not amplified like headphone, so it's not necesarily hotter.   (by hot, I mean higher voltage.)

this brings me to my next question...  as you may have read, I'm considering using two high-current amps to speakers from the Main.  Speakers are hard as every PA speaker (unpowered) I see has an average freqency down to 70hz.  That falls way short of my expectations.  Home speakers I can get down to 40hz.    thoughts?
I'm not saying the signal is hotter. Instrument signals are not quite the same as a home stereo line level signal. Home stereo line level is normally compressed (kept within a certain value range) . You will get more spikes with Instrument level than with home stereo line level. That is why some people will caution musicians using their home stereo units as an amp. It can be done but you need to use a compressor before the signal goes into the stereo.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 11:27:03 AM »

I'm not saying the signal is hotter. Instrument signals are not quite the same as a home stereo line level signal. Home stereo line level is normally compressed (kept within a certain value range) . You will get more spikes with Instrument level than with home stereo line level. That is why some people will caution musicians using their home stereo units as an amp. It can be done but you need to use a compressor before the signal goes into the stereo.

Interesting.   I want to read more about that.  Any good online sources?

Also...  back to speakers..  when you plug into the house PA system, do you get good low end?

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 12:58:41 PM »
Is there any reason someone with a zune instead of an iPod should bother getting this JamDock thing?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 02:21:07 PM »
Is there any reason someone with a zune instead of an iPod should bother getting this JamDock thing?
Well, they could sell it on eBay and make a little money. Just a thought.

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 03:47:41 PM »
yeah, thought about that. They don't really seem to be selling on there though. I guess a pair of stick is better than nothing ($200 value, lol).

Offline Guinness

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 01:22:32 PM »
Jamdock update:

I was having trouble, where I'd send the signal from the module to the jamdock, then listen to the ipod and module with my headphones plugged into the jamdock.  I could never get the levels correct without it distorting.  I tried using headphone out (module) to the jamdock, and that still produced major distortion/clipping at high volumes.   (yes, I tried the guitar/line switch in all the various permutations.)

then I tried to go jamdock out to module aux in.  Headphones in the module.   Works perfectly!  I can play it as loud as I want with NO distortion/clipping.   So, for me, the jamdock is a nice little holder/charge/volume control for my ipod.  It really works well.  It is actually better sound quality than ipod headphone jack out to aux in, as I had it before the jamdock arrived.

If you too had/have the same problems, just reverse it like I did, and enjoy.  :D

Offline Guinness

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2010, 06:41:43 PM »
Are we also supposed to get a couple months free of DrumlessTracks?

How to get started?

Offline Burtmeister

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2010, 01:28:55 PM »
Well it's been just over a month and as of yet no JamDock goodness has arrived at my door. So, I guess the quick rebate processing may be over.

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 11:30:43 AM »
Im still unclear as to what barcode to clip from the box. Will it be the same as the one on the module box? For now, all I have is the long, skinny one from the side of the box, but Ill check it against the module UPC when I get home.
Merlin Coryell
www.facebook.com/merlincoryelldrums
Ludwig & Alesis Drums
Zildjian, Wuhan, & Factory Metal Cymbals
Axis and Gibraltar Hardware

Offline Burtmeister

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 11:43:16 AM »
I got my JamDock yesterday! Yaay!

Guinness, in  the instruction manual packet that came with the JamDock there is a yellow card with a code for 10 free tracks at minusdrums.com

Merlin, I just used the barcode code that was on the outter box, not the module box.

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 01:25:20 PM »
But which barcode, there are like 3 on my box. The one I assumed was the one that was around 1/2" x 3" and was outlined on the cardboard.

(XX)B followed by 14 digits.

Is that it? Cause Ive got my form and copy of my invoice ready to mail today then!  ;D
Merlin Coryell
www.facebook.com/merlincoryelldrums
Ludwig & Alesis Drums
Zildjian, Wuhan, & Factory Metal Cymbals
Axis and Gibraltar Hardware

Offline Burtmeister

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 02:02:03 PM »
Ahh I understand the confusion. Well since I only have a hole left in my box now and I don't remember exactly what was on the bar code that I sent in I can only tell you it's was the barcode that's underneath the different voltages markings on the corner of the box. I have an approximate 4"x5" hole that is cut out there so there might have been a group of codes stacked there. If there was I sent all of them as a group. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2010, 02:58:13 PM »
this was what i sent.  i made sure to send both from the main box and the module box given the condition of the barcodes.
DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2010, 02:04:41 PM »

Heh, over a week on eBay for $35 free shipping - no buyer. I'd say I was pretty close on the actual value of the thing, about $10 - a good pair of drumsticks :)