Author Topic: Help! Problem with DM10 triggers in Reaper/EZDrummer 2  (Read 2884 times)

Help! Problem with DM10 triggers in Reaper/EZDrummer 2
« on: March 13, 2018, 03:57:54 PM »
Hi,

I went through countless topics on this forum but I couldn't find the answer.

So I connected my Alesis DM10 to PC using USB-B cable. Then I fired up Reaper and loaded EZDrummer 2. The drumkit I use is MetalMachine - Big Room.

I mapped all the midi under Mixer in EZDrummer so that each drum trigger is on separate channel. Please see screenshot 1/2.

The problem is that when I hit Tom 3 or Tom 4 it only triggers 1 tom in EZDrummer 2. Same problem with 2 crashes on DM10. It doesn't matter which one I hit on the drumkit, they both only trigger one crash in EZDrummer 2. See screenshot 3.

I also noticed that when I hit a trigger let's say the snare, the EQ shows signal from the drums not only on the assigned channel but also on 2 other channels although on these other channels the signal is weaker. Like in the attached screenshot 4 which was taken when I was hitting only the snare but same thing happens when I'm hitting other triggers. Don't know why it bleeds onto other channels. I get the Reverb and MonoRoom but I have no idea why when I hit anything on the drumkit it bleeds onto Tom 2.

Also, I have no idea how to add rimshots from DM10 to Reaper/EZDrummer 2.

Sorry for the bunch of screenshots but I wanted to explain the issue as clearly as I could. I have no idea how to fix it.

Can anyone help please with these?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Chaser

Re: Help! Problem with DM10 triggers in Reaper/EZDrummer 2
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 05:50:31 PM »
Which version EZDrummer2 ? ...currently  2.1.5
Which keymap are you using? there are 2....Alesis..or... Alesis DM10?

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 05:57:15 PM »
It's Alesis DM10 Mesh Kit. Not sure what you mean by keymap? Where can I find out which one I'm using?

Version of EZDrummers 2 plug-in is 2.0.2 (Build 9590) 64bit
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:02:39 PM by peter666 »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 06:12:33 PM »
It's Alesis DM10 Mesh Kit. Not sure what you mean by keymap? Where can I find out which one I'm using?

Version of EZDrummers 2 plug-in is 2.0.2 (Build 9590) 64bit

There was a new  keymap for the DM10 starting with EZD2 v2.0.2....earlier versions were mapped incorrectly

Menu>Settings>E-drums...there is a drop down menu for midi mapping..select Alesis DM10.

There is also a drop-down menu for Hi Hat Pedal correction so that you can change the curve for closed to open

EDIT;
Keymaps (midi maps) are used to re-route the default midi notes being sent by the Drum module to match the midi notes in the drum software.
Manufacturers use different default midi-note assignments, in order to use the drum software the drum software developer includes keymaps for modules it supports.
If a module isn't supported you have to change the midi notes being sent in the module...if it's capable.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:32:31 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 06:27:32 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I did that but I wasn't able to select Alesis DM10 exactly. I clicked Menu->E-Drum->Manufacturer->Alesis. There is no specific model. Only 'None', 'Alesis', 'Roland', 'Yamaha' and 'Other'.

There is an option I can tick in the Menu. The option to Allow MIDI Program Change. It's unticked but even if I ticked it I wouldn't know what to do next.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:29:20 PM by peter666 »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 06:46:19 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I did that but I wasn't able to select Alesis DM10 exactly. I clicked Menu->E-Drum->Manufacturer->Alesis. There is no specific model. Only 'None', 'Alesis', 'Roland', 'Yamaha' and 'Other'.

There is an option I can tick in the Menu. The option to Allow MIDI Program Change. It's unticked but even if I ticked it I wouldn't know what to do next.
Then you'll need to update EZD2..The new keymap may have come after 2.0.2 and 2.0.2 was the last version without it..that's a very old version.
There has been 6 updates since then
https://www.toontrack.com/faq/known-issues-with-ezdrummer/

The only other option other than updating EZD2 is to try and change the midi notes being sent by the DM10 module to match the map for the drum kit..
midi layout for the kit is under..menu>about sound libraries..then click on the library>midi layout..to see the keymap.

The problem you'll have is the DM10 has some midi notes locked..for example the Hi hat..

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 07:01:02 PM »
I'll try the upgrade first. At the moment the hihat is mapped correctly. Did you look into the bleeding onto Tom2 when hitting any other tom/cymbal?