Author Topic: Strange Issue With DMEditor and My DM10...  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Iggford

Strange Issue With DMEditor and My DM10...
« on: January 24, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »
So, I've tried on two separate occasions to use DMEditor to set up my kits.  I have been leaving my kit at my band's practice space, bringing just my module home to tweak sounds and things like that.  We're recording an album, so I've tried to avoid moving the kit around too much over the last month or so.

The first time I used DMEditor, I did a complete reset on my module.  I was still learning trigger settings, etc., so I wanted to start from scratch.  I built four kits for use with the band, and was very happy with the way they turned out.  I tweaked all of the settings, from pads to F/X settings for all four kits.  Everything seemed to be working fine.  I saved my kits to my PC, and saved the work on the module and set off for practice a day or so later.  When I started up my module, the balance and level settings were way off from where I had them.  We have the drums set to a center channel on our sound system, so I have all of my pads set to center.  Upon further investigation, I noticed that even some of the other pad settings were way off.  The instruments themselves were fine, but everything else was totally different from the way I set it up in DMEditor.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago.  I wanted to make some changes to a couple of kits I was planning to use in our recording sessions.  I was going to do it all through the module, but I decided to give DMEditor a try again.  I really like the UI, and everything is just so much easier when I can point and click.  I built kits in DMEditor using the settings from my existing kits, and I backed up my trigger settings.  I did another factory reset, as I had something taking up a lot of memory in my module.  I imported my trigger settings back in, no problem.  Then, I imported the kits back in with DMEditor.  Just like before, everything seemed to work just fine.  I saved everything and turned off my module.  I then went back in to check my settings and found the same thing as before.  The instruments were right, but everything else was way off.  I re-imported the kits, and it fixed it all.  Then, after resetting my module, it went right back to the messed up settings I had the first time through.

So, after all that, my question is:  Am I doing something wrong while using DMEditor?  Has anyone else had similar issues, and could there be something that I'm missing somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Offline rhysT

Re: Strange Issue With DMEditor and My DM10...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 04:11:58 PM »
So, I've tried on two separate occasions to use DMEditor to set up my kits ........... 

The first time I used DMEditor, I did a complete reset on my module.  I was still learning trigger settings, etc., so I wanted to start from scratch.  I built four kits for use with the band, and was very happy with the way they turned out.  I tweaked all of the settings, from pads to F/X settings for all four kits.  Everything seemed to be working fine.  I saved my kits to my PC, and saved the work on the module and set off for practice a day or so later.  When I started up my module, the balance and level settings were way off from where I had them.  We have the drums set to a center channel on our sound system, so I have all of my pads set to center.  Upon further investigation, I noticed that even some of the other pad settings were way off.  The instruments themselves were fine, but everything else was totally different from the way I set it up in DMEditor.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago.  I wanted to make some changes to a couple of kits I was planning to use in our recording sessions.  I was going to do it all through the module, but I decided to give DMEditor a try again.  I really like the UI, and everything is just so much easier when I can point and click.  I built kits in DMEditor using the settings from my existing kits, and I backed up my trigger settings.  I did another factory reset, as I had something taking up a lot of memory in my module.  I imported my trigger settings back in, no problem.  Then, I imported the kits back in with DMEditor.  Just like before, everything seemed to work just fine.  I saved everything and turned off my module.  I then went back in to check my settings and found the same thing as before.  The instruments were right, but everything else was way off.  I re-imported the kits, and it fixed it all.  Then, after resetting my module, it went right back to the messed up settings I had the first time through.

So, after all that, my question is:  Am I doing something wrong while using DMEditor?  Has anyone else had similar issues, and could there be something that I'm missing somewhere?

I considered using DMEditor to share some DM10 kits but realized there are many settings to manually enter and it could be difficult to troubleshoot problems after the kits were loaded onto reconfigured module setups.

I've attached a worksheet that helped me get familiar with instrument/layer and kit FX settings, which might flag something you've missed with your parameter entries. What a coincidence if the Strike kit editor allows control of similar parameter settings to the DM10's (refer to the Strike screen displays shown at NAMM-2016: http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6440.msg47459#msg47459)

I haven't used the DM-Editor much and would only be guessing what might be causing your problem. 
Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:04:19 PM by rhysT »