Author Topic: Remo SilentStroke head perfect!  (Read 4436 times)

Remo SilentStroke head perfect!
« on: May 15, 2016, 04:49:32 PM »
I just swapped out my snare mesh head on my dm10 studio mesh for the Remo SilentStroke 10" mesh head.  Wicked easy swap and fit perfect!!  Tightened her down until she felt bouncy like I like it (that sounded weird) and its good to go!  I would highly recommend those heads for the dm10 kits.  As good or better than stock and cheap too.  Really, I just wanted a white drum head.  No real reason other than that.  I will eventually swap over the toms too.  The other reason I did the snare first to try it out, was that I wanted a spare head for the snare just in case I broke one.  I put the original head in the box and set it aside as a backup.  I'm not as worried about the toms, as I can always swap plugs and drums around if I break one of those. 

http://www.amazon.com/Remo-SN0010-00-Silentstroke-Mesh-10-Inch/dp/B00F58P8SG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Offline Dobly

Re: Remo SilentStroke head perfect!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 01:56:04 AM »
The first mesh heads I used were the ones from 682 Drums. They were a terrible fit on the DM10X 10" and 12" pads.

I replaced the lot with the Remo SilentStroke. Yep. They are perfect!

Online AlanK

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 09:19:35 AM »
The first mesh heads I used were the ones from 682 Drums. They were a terrible fit on the DM10X 10" and 12" pads.
It's interesting that (and frustrating for sure) that people have had issues with mesh head fit on their pads.
I've got a set of 682's, Rolands, a couple of Hart Maxxums, and a Pearl single ply and every single one fit on my pads perfectly.. 8", 10", 12" and the Hart 13".. no problems at all.. just lucky? 
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 10:48:27 PM »
one question i have too much bounce on my bass drum pad can i just loosen the head a lil or do i need to do something with my pedal or a mix of both?

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 07:13:30 AM »
I sure like the look of the Remo head on my my snare.  It makes it look more like an acoustic drum.  Definitely going to swap out all of them eventually.  Plus I noticed that with the white head, you don't get white marks like on the black heads.   8)

Offline Sal

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 12:04:17 PM »
They really are a dead-simple upgrade. I added an extra strip of foam underneath which helped a lot.
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 01:04:39 AM »
It's interesting that (and frustrating for sure) that people have had issues with mesh head fit on their pads.
I've got a set of 682's, Rolands, a couple of Hart Maxxums, and a Pearl single ply and every single one fit on my pads perfectly.. 8", 10", 12" and the Hart 13".. no problems at all.. just lucky?

Yeah Alan..it was terrible. The 8" bass drum 682 head fit ok. I still use that one.

The 10" was very tight. Didn't cause a problem, but was very tight.

The 12" however, of which there is 3 on my dm10x kit was so tight, they slipped out of the rim. Or rather the rim slipped over them.  The only fix for that was to stick thick rubber crap around the inside of the rims. They left a sticky mess. Not something I was happy to have on my musical instrument.

Online AlanK

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 09:30:38 AM »
Dobly, that really sucks. You probably wrote about this elsewhere, but did you let them know? I've found they've been very apologetic and helpful and quick to respond if there was any concern about their products. But definitely a major bummer to have all the 12's give you so much grief.

c whitley, I also found my kick drum extra bouncy with the mesh conversion (and especially when I tried putting a 10 or a 12" pad on the stand instead of the 8!) I tried loosening the head, also tried dropping the mallet a bit so it's lower where it hits.. finally, I've stuck on Evans head protectors and they took a bit of the bounce off as well. Maybe you have to adjust your pedal springs a bit as well to compensate..I'd think a bit looser perhaps, but that may also affect the feel and speed but seems it's a constant series of trial and error to get all the components to work for you as you like (and even then there'll still be something that's just not doing what it should do..hahaha)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dobly

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 09:23:38 PM »
Dobly, that really sucks. You probably wrote about this elsewhere, but did you let them know? I've found they've been very apologetic and helpful and quick to respond if there was any concern about their products. But definitely a major bummer to have all the 12's give you so much grief.

Yes, I let them know and they sent me this thick rubber thing with a sticky side to stick around the hoop of each skin. That way the drum rim did not slip over it.

This kind of worked I'll give them at. But looked horrible and just did not free right on my new DM10 kit. Like putting sticky tape on a nice guitar or gluing something to a trumpet.  I just had the feeling that the rubber would deteriorate and the rims would slip over them again.

Then I got the Remo SilentStroke heads. Perfect fit all around. They look nice too, all white.

<Edit: fixed some spelling>
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:58:14 PM by Dobly »

Online AlanK

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 09:09:13 AM »
I can imagine (that it just isn't quite right having to use some "fix" to get them to fit properly and they could deteriorate eventually and you're back to square one.. it should just fit right the first time).
I also prefer the old-fashioned white heads and have done all mine in white as well. I'm now using Rolands on the toms. I happened to have bought a Laurin snare and kick drum and they do all their gear in black mesh with black hoops and hardware.. it's kinda cool but I asked if they had silver and they didn't unfortunately. I could easily swap out the mesh for a couple of leftover 12's I've got from 682Drums but their mesh is actually really nice so I'm not rushing it. I also was looking into replacing all the hoops etc but it'd end up costing me easily 50 or 60 bucks, maybe more (4 hoops, 16 brackets..adds up). I'll leave em black for now but I do wish they had an option for chrome hardware and white mesh but the guy's keeping his costs down and wanted everything simple.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:12:59 AM by AlanK »

Offline Sal

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 09:31:11 AM »
That is very pretty. That looks very comfortable to play on too. Are you using an aftermarket clamp/cymbal arm for the ride?
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Online AlanK

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 10:21:56 AM »
Ah the ride.. it's changed a number of times.. right now it's on the spare hi-hat original arm since I've got the pro x on a hi-hat stand. I was using one of the post booms but just wasn't liking how it fit in, had to really angle the boom down low but then the edge would hit the boom at times. I've had it on a boom stand of its own, completely off the rack.

Offline Sal

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 11:42:43 AM »
Yes the hi hat arm! That's so obvious now haha.

I'm happy with me crash 1 and ride on the posts, but that third crash just does NOT make sense coming out of the far right post.

I had a clamp arm too, but that went away in my original trade of the acoustic set for the DM10 in the first place!

Offline Dobly

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 11:00:32 PM »
I happened to have bought a Laurin snare and kick drum and ...

That is a great looking snare.

Online AlanK

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 09:14:20 AM »
Thanks Dobly, that and the kick drum have really added some "reality" depth to my set.. looks great, makes it all feel like a bigger more acoustic kit and they play great. Not too expensive either, cheaper than buying a 12" pad from Alesis in fact

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 03:31:06 AM »
I've a new DM10 Studio Kit Mesh and a bit confused by the self-sound or noise of the snare.
Currently there is the original black mesh head on the pad.
Compared to my old Roland PDX-100 its very noisy and has not that good rebound.
Does the Remo mesh head reduce the noise?
Will the rebound also be improved?

Offline Sal

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 08:37:25 AM »
Adjusting the tension of the head won't help the rebound? Not sure about the actual sound the drum makes when striking, but at least the rebound should be fixable.

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 07:29:18 PM »
I got myself some 682 mesh heads not long after I got my DM10, but I am finding if anything they are a little too bouncy. Most likely my tuning.

Will hav to have a look into the silent strokes!

M@

Offline cleverest

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 05:51:48 PM »
Anyone using these on the Strike? Wondering if they are good/sensitive and quieter than the stock heads they give you.