Author Topic: DM10 Midi has stopped!!  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Dobly

DM10 Midi has stopped!!
« on: March 30, 2018, 12:29:35 AM »
I have been using my DM10 module for almost 2 years running drum software via a USB cable from the DM10 to my laptop. This has worked perfectly, till today!!

Windows 10 reports a problem with the DM10 and suggest looking for a driver. There is no driver of course.

As a test i grabbed my son's DM8 module and plugged the USB cable in. The laptop found it not trouble and the utility MidiOx and DAW Reaper could both see the DM8.

I tried a reset on the DM10. (Held down Exit and Store as i turned it on). This did not help. I have rebooted the laptop over and over to no avail.

Then compared page by page all the midi setting on my DM10 and the DM8. They are identical.

I don't know what to try next!

Offline Dobly

Re: DM10 Midi has stopped!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 12:51:37 AM »
I just try to update the firmware.. But even that cannot get the MIDI to work...

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 01:35:44 AM »
Desperate times all for desperate measures..

I even opened the module up to see if i could see anything, like a loose cable or something..

Not much luck in there but here is what I saw for those curious.

The offending USB port is that silver box down there.. Not much I can do to that.

While I was in here....

I wonder what is under this... ???

This is the underside of that floating circuit board.  I'd say this is the CPU and the tiny amount of RAM on the DM10s.

Anyway, I put it all back together and as before. The midi does not work.

One more thing I tried was changing it's midi send channel. No go there either..

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 01:56:48 AM »
Ok, move along. Nothing to see here... Or is there??

I had 2 USB cables. Neither worked. I want to draw and found another that didn't work...

But I had tried everything else so i got out an box of leads and dug through a mountain of them and found another USB cable.

That one worked.. ???

Hang on. So I went back to cable 1. That one worked as well.. What the ??????

This is far from solved.. I have been at this for hours. Restarts, resetting and now it works?

This is not good enough to take on stage.. If that happens a show... Yikes..

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 07:06:31 AM by Dobly »

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 02:13:24 PM »
Hey Dobly

I design circuit boards for a living. In my world that black square would be for thermal, meaning to draw heat away from a chip, but it doesn't look like it is actually on top of anything does it?

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 05:37:00 PM »
I wonder what the piezo is for.
JimmyB

Offline Dobly

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 06:03:24 PM »
It would be for that button on the top were you can audition sounds.

Edit: The blue preview button.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 07:08:11 PM by Dobly »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 07:10:52 PM »
Hey Dobly

I design circuit boards for a living. In my world that black square would be for thermal, meaning to draw heat away from a chip, but it doesn't look like it is actually on top of anything does it?

You are probably right Mr J.. I program computers for living and have built dozens of PCs. ie: I was guessing ;)

Offline Dobly

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 07:12:53 PM »
Anyway, the upshot of this it I have given up using VSTs for sounds. I can't rely on the Midi from the DM10 on stage. (I recall this happened a few weeks ago for a short time)

So I'll be dialing in 2 or 3 reasonable sounding kits and running with those.

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 07:55:06 PM »
Just thinking out loud, I look around the weeb using my tablet most of the time, do my serious web stuff on the PC, but I go thru charging cables for my tablet every 2 or 3 months re:cheap chinese cables, so before writing off the unit as the issue consider the cable. USB is overall the simplest I/F, 90 OHMS diff and not too high speed. I am not aware of the connectors being unreliable.

I'm not an electrical engineer but everything I do is based upon what the EE wants so I have a lot of pull, I'll startasking questions next week and will feedback if I find anything that might help.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 08:29:42 PM »
Just to add some more info, yesterday I tried to install the AllMemory file from member rhysT. That process failed. Again a USB process.

I have tried 4 cables. At least 2 of them have never been used before.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 09:00:24 PM »
It would be worth trying to transfer your own AllMemory.syx file to see if that completes OK and saving it as a backup precaution.

Btw, I've added another update of my AllMemory file on Dropbox just in case the previous version has an error.

As a last resort we could possibly try a direct midi file transfer between modules if your USB port is causing the problem.

Good luck with it!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 10:11:10 PM »
Do you know if you MIDI ports themselves work? If so, you might want to try a interface device like this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/M-Audio/2000s-MIDISPORT-2X2-Audio-Converter.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3IexscCa2gIV0y-BCh2RTQTMEAQYBSABEgLbEfD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid%5E70424644722-device%5Ec-plaid%5E359652455705-sku%5E114075814@ADL4GC-adType%5EPLA

Some actually prefer this over the onboard USB. I seem to remember someone pointing out that the midi latency is less using this with the actual MIDI ports then the USB port on the module when it came to using VST's. I personally don't notice any difference.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 07:07:20 PM »
Thanks hellfire.. In all messing around with the USB port on the Dm10 i had forgotten it has regular midi ports on it.

I have one of these cheep and cheerful devices.

I'll try that first and let you know how I go.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 06:59:16 PM »
The el'cheapo midi to USB device above did not work. Midi Ox can see the Dm10 as a USB 2.0 devices. I can hit the pads and they register, but trying to upload rhysT's All memory file I get a 'buffer' error. I google this and as best I can make out this is a driver problem with the no name USB/midi device..

Back to the drawing board.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 08:44:04 AM »
Even trying this...

Didn't work.. The Updater takes about 10 minutes and looks like it doing something..

Back on the DM10 it is on the screen where i have turned it on holding the Rec key and the screen says Load your .syx file into the updater. Under that there is Waiting, and below that a box where you would expect a progress bar to appear. It doesn't.

Once the Updater had moved 80mb of nothing, the module just sat there as if nothing had happened. Rebooting it and it had the same old kits, no sign of BlueJay.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 02:13:57 AM »
I have given up.  This modules days are numbered.. It seems stable enough now. I just cannot midi anything in anyway to or from the module.

So between now and my next gig (6 days away) I need to dial in 2 or 3 usable kits.. One for the Rock songs, one for the more dance songs and one for 80s sounding songs..
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 06:35:58 AM by Dobly »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 04:46:05 PM »
I have given up.  This modules days are numbered.. It seems stable enough now. I just cannot midi anything in anyway to or from the module.

Hey Dobly, there's something else you should check in the module - maybe the USB socket solder joints or circuit board tracks have fractured due to repeated plugging in & out of the cable when you move the kit for gigs.
Try moving the USB plug while watching the board joints and tracks with a magnifying glass and it could be a simple soldering repair.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:23:39 PM by rhysT »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2018, 07:18:03 AM »

Hey Dobly, there's something else you should check in the module - maybe the USB socket solder joints or circuit board tracks have fractured due to repeated plugging in & out of the cable when you move the kit for gigs.
Try moving the USB plug while watching the board joints and tracks with a magnifying glass and it could be a simple soldering repair.

Soldering on circuit boards is not something I have tried.. For this I'd need to take the whole board out and I'd imagine solder on the other side.. Not sure I am game enough to do that.

Being trapped within the module has opened a whole new learning curve for me. I jumped on the VST wagon years ago but I am quite enjoying exploring the sounds in the DM10 again. Especially with the Korg Pandora. ;)

Offline korakios

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 05:57:50 PM »
The el'cheapo midi to USB device above did not work. Midi Ox can see the Dm10 as a USB 2.0 devices. I can hit the pads and they register, but trying to upload rhysT's All memory file I get a 'buffer' error. I google this and as best I can make out this is a driver problem with the no name USB/midi device..

Back to the drawing board.

So, the cheap usb midi interface doesn’t work? In MidiOX you must choose that interface ,not DM10 and watch if notes are coming.
Can MidiOX see the DM10 ports? If so are there any notes coming ?

Offline Dobly

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 07:05:26 PM »
When the cheap USB device is in and the USB from the DM10 is not in, I cannot see the DM10 in Midi Ox (of course).

If I hit a pad, it triggers.. Midi ox can see he note come in.

The problem comes when I try to apply any sort of update to the module. Be that rhysT's all memory file, the Bluejay sound set, or even the basic DM10 boot loader that comes with all the other basic stuff from Alesis using the Alesis updater app...

It it looking like a software problem to me.  I have reset the darn thing that many times.. I can't reinstall its OS.

Offline korakios

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 07:29:45 PM »
Ok, and last question :
Is the DM10 usb midi port shown in MidiOX? If so , do the notes pass by ?
Then nothing is wrong with the module .

For the uploading of sysex file ,forget the cheap midi usb interface . I also have one ,they are good for midi notes but cannot handle large sysex files .

Try

https://www.bome.com/products/sendsx

Go to options and lower the transmitted speed.

I read you tried to restore the module with the blue jay set . I think you should first try uploading the latest original firmware ( boot ,app, sounds ) and then apply the blue jay set.

Good luck :)

PS. For sanity check , try on a different pc .

Offline Dobly

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 09:25:54 PM »
Yes, USB from the module to my laptop (the same laptop I have used for years) and i can see the DM10 in Midi Ox 'MOST' of the time.. Addictive Drums sees the DM10 "MOST" of the time. Most of the time is not good enough.

The laptop only has USB 2.0 ports. So USB 3.0 is not an issue.

I have tried the Alesis Uploader, many times.. It tells you to run the updates in order starting with 1.Boot. That update fails.

When I try to install rhysT's All memory file using Midi Ox I get a Bad Data error. Either that or it runs for 20 minutes and nothing happens to the module.

I tried SendSX on the weekend.. It didn't work but I'll try it again lowering the transmission speed as you suggested.

It is odd, frustrating and time consuming .  It does not fill me with confidence to use the module's USB on stage to trigger VSTs..

Offline Chaser

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 11:23:32 PM »
Yes, USB from the module to my laptop (the same laptop I have used for years) and i can see the DM10 in Midi Ox 'MOST' of the time.. Addictive Drums sees the DM10 "MOST" of the time. Most of the time is not good enough.

The laptop only has USB 2.0 ports. So USB 3.0 is not an issue.

I have tried the Alesis Uploader, many times.. It tells you to run the updates in order starting with 1.Boot. That update fails.

When I try to install rhysT's All memory file using Midi Ox I get a Bad Data error. Either that or it runs for 20 minutes and nothing happens to the module.

I tried SendSX on the weekend.. It didn't work but I'll try it again lowering the transmission speed as you suggested.

It is odd, frustrating and time consuming .  It does not fill me with confidence to use the module's USB on stage to trigger VSTs..
Windows 10 and USB can be a pain...I have been involved with countless posts and multiple forums on USB issues and there are different causes/solutions  everything from BIOS settings/bad cables/drivers to defective hardware.

Does the module function/operate properly when connected to a different machine?.
I see where you connected a DM8 with no issue. but have you connected or tried to update/reinstall the DM10 firmware with another machine?
if it still doesn't..the problem is probably within the module....may be a "partial update" install or the port/connection went bad.
I have had a few pieces of hardware go bad over the past couple years due to the USB port/PCB connection..I don't like the USB port on my STRIKE module as it feels similar to the ones that went bad on me.

If it does function properly on the other machine...then the problem is probably the laptop.

1st..Check under Device manager for 3.0 USB extensible controller...
If it is there uninstall it.. you may be prompted to reboot...

If you don't have any usb 3.0 ports there is no need for it and it usually causes conflicts/problems on older machines or those without usb 3.0 ports.
I still use a number of older machines /laptops for older gear and now they are running Windows 10 LTSB and none of them have 3.0 ports.
Once I uninstalled the 3.0 controller I stopped having usb problems including partially work ports and device recognition etc.

If that doesn't correct the issue..have you tried the advanced trouble shooter?

With the module connected..
control panel>System and Security/find fix problems>configure device>advanced
make sure the apply repairs automatically box is checked..then click next..

In the pic you posted is this when the update stopped ?.. at 75%.
Does the update stop at 75% each attempt ?
You could check the USB selective suspend in the power options and disable it if it isn't already.

ALESIS class compliant test..
Quick test - Windows

When you're frustrated with not being able to get up and running, or if you thinking you might  have a defective product, this 10-second is-it-broken test can restore the confidence necessary to continue working with the product and to complete any needed software setup or authorization process.

To verify that the device is working, and is being seen by the computer…

On Windows, open the Device Manager.
    Disconnect the controller from the computer, count to 5, then reconnect the controller
    Does the list of devices at all change, refresh, or flash? If yes…Good, the product is recognized by the computer.

If the product does pass the test above, it is not defective, and the difficulty is caused by misconfigured software settings or options.
Full article..tests etc    http://www.alesis.com/kb/article/1619

added a link that has proven helpful for trouble shooting..
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/817900/usb-port-may-stop-working-after-you-remove-or-insert-a-usb-device
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:46:47 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2018, 10:19:44 AM »
Ok, move along. Nothing to see here... Or is there??

I had 2 USB cables. Neither worked. I want to draw and found another that didn't work...

But I had tried everything else so i got out an box of leads and dug through a mountain of them and found another USB cable.

That one worked.. ???

Hang on. So I went back to cable 1. That one worked as well.. What the ??????

This is far from solved.. I have been at this for hours. Restarts, resetting and now it works?

This is not good enough to take on stage.. If that happens a show... Yikes..

Dobly, I got a DM8 Pro, I recently encounter the same problem as yours. My DM8 has been connected to my laptop for a couple weeks with no issue. All a sudden, my computer is not connecting to the module. Device manager shows nothing either. I tried different cables and computer with the same result. Are you saying your DM10 suddenly works again? I hope mine does the same.