Author Topic: DM10 Studio Cymbal is falling to bits.  (Read 5716 times)

DM10 Studio Cymbal is falling to bits.
« on: October 30, 2010, 07:26:59 PM »
Hi all,

Has anyone had an issue with the DM10 Studio DMPad 12" Cymbal cracking and generally just falling to bits.

I noticed a buzzing sound a few days back when my daughter was bashing on my DM10 set, (I normally use headphones) when the cymbal was played.
I took the cymbal off the stand and noticed that the cymbal has cracked where the plastic meets the rubber pad on both sides. Also 4 of the screws that hold the peizo cover in place under the cymbal have snapped off the cymbal.

Not sure why this has happened (other than my bad technique ) as the cymbal is not locked down tight and has alot of movement allowing it to sway when hit.

I'm not sure if it is a design flaw in the way this cymbal is made, the other cymbals appear ok for now.

Anyhoo, I think I'll drop Alesis an email and see if an RMA is in order. I just though I'd put it on here in case it is an issue and hopefully people will notice it before it gets too bad.

The kit has been used for around 6 months - maybe 4-8 hours per week.

Regards,

Kev
New to drumming... be gentle!!

Online Hellfire

Re: DM10 Studio Cymbal is falling to bits.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 10:14:30 PM »
Hi all,

Has anyone had an issue with the DM10 Studio DMPad 12" Cymbal cracking and generally just falling to bits.

I noticed a buzzing sound a few days back when my daughter was bashing on my DM10 set, (I normally use headphones) when the cymbal was played.
I took the cymbal off the stand and noticed that the cymbal has cracked where the plastic meets the rubber pad on both sides. Also 4 of the screws that hold the peizo cover in place under the cymbal have snapped off the cymbal.

Not sure why this has happened (other than my bad technique ) as the cymbal is not locked down tight and has alot of movement allowing it to sway when hit.

I'm not sure if it is a design flaw in the way this cymbal is made, the other cymbals appear ok for now.

Anyhoo, I think I'll drop Alesis an email and see if an RMA is in order. I just though I'd put it on here in case it is an issue and hopefully people will notice it before it gets too bad.

The kit has been used for around 6 months - maybe 4-8 hours per week.

Regards,

Kev
Sorry to hear the Kev. Be sure to call Alesis. I heard their email support can sometimes be slow, but they seem to be pretty quick with calls.

Offline H3RB

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:44:50 PM »
happened to me on my dm5 kit with the older style cymbals. not had it happen on my dm10 yet tho and i hit pretty hard. managed to break 2 sets of vic firth 5b's in a week on my dm10 kit  with mesh heads lol

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:27:11 PM »
happened to me on my dm5 kit with the older style cymbals. not had it happen on my dm10 yet tho and i hit pretty hard. managed to break 2 sets of vic firth 5b's in a week on my dm10 kit  with mesh heads lol
Do you use 5B drum sticks on an electronic drum kit? :o

I'm surprised you haven't had more problems with things breaking on you. I never use anything heavier than 5A on an electronic kit.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:51:01 PM »
gotta second on the sticks.. I accidentally got 5B's once and they felt huge on that little kit... I used to use vic firth Metal sticks on my regular kit, so it was a while until I got used to 5A's, but on an e-kit, anything bigger is asking for damage..

Do you have any pictures of the crash?
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline Guinness

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 12:30:07 PM »
Stick wise...  5b's:   That's what I used on my accoustic kit.  I use 7a's now on the ekit.  The shorter/lighter stick seems to feel better.  I accidentally picked up a pair of 5b's some time back and played.  It was like playing with tree branches  :o

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 10:05:46 AM »
I use Zildjian 2B's on the E-kit. Seems to get better response than my smaller sticks.
The first rule of any technology used in a business is that automation applied to an efficient operation will magnify the efficiency. The second is that automation applied to an inefficient operation will magnify the inefficiency.
-Bill Gates

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 11:55:34 AM »
I've been using Sound Percussion "funk" sticks for a couple years now, both on my a-drums and on my e-drums. The wood tips usually split before anything else, but they're only $4 a pair so I can stock up and be set for awhile. They feel good to me and are reasonably consistent for "second line" drum sticks.

I used to use heavier sticks, and break through acoustic cymbals and heads, but over time it has become very rare. It had a lot to do with my technique and style mellowing out over time. I used to play almost all rim shots on my snare and be wiped out after a set of original rock... now I relax and groove a lot more behind the drums as opposed to pounding them. But I'm 39 now and have been playing since 15. :)

The best advice I got for saving crash cymbals is to not hit "through" the cymbal, making it move out of the way of your stick. Instead, work on "glancing" the bow of the cymbal with the shoulder of the stick with more of a side-to-side motion than a top-to-bottom motion. I think over time this saves a lot of damage to cymbals. Now if you happen to be Alex Van Halen and have a stock room full of new cymbals - by all means, hit it how you want to!!
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 01:44:07 AM »
that was a spectacular description on how to hit a cymbal.  its amazing how many sounds you can get out of one cymbal. I`m going to be buried with my Zyldjian 22" K dark ride. :D
Support Local Music

Orangeblood

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 09:40:36 AM »
Neither one of you have ever seen just what a cymbal does when hit...have you?
Your making an entirely bigger deal than needed. Hit the damn thing, doesn't matter either way.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 09:26:28 PM »
Your making an entirely bigger deal than needed. Hit the damn thing, doesn't matter either way.

My advice really doesn't sound that far-fetched, whether or not I have ever seen just what a cymbal does when hit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_cymbal

"Cracking

Crashes are often the first cymbal in a setup to warp and ultimately crack due to repeated striking of the edge. Cymbal cracking is generally in the form of a fracture along the edge, or across the bow, often originating from the edge. Cracks in cymbals are caused by poor technique or excessive play, or more rarely, the result of a defect originating from manufacture, or damage to the cymbal not caused by playing, for example dropping. If a crack is left untreated, it will begin to follow the lathe grooves around the cymbal, and could potentially spread all the way round the cymbal and back to the point where the crack started, causing the outer portion to simply drop off.

Often, lower quality sheet cymbals are more likely to crack, due to stress caused in some areas by pressing sheet metal. Thicker cymbals are also more likely to crack due to their brittleness, and less freedom to vibrate.

Some suggest that wear on the cymbal can be reduced by playing with glancing blows, angled to the side and slightly away from the vertical, about a quarter of the way between the edge and the center and allowing the drum stick to bounce off naturally, rather than forcing the stick down at the cymbal head-on. This allows the cymbal to vibrate freely and for little stress to be caused on the edge or at the center hole, thus reducing the chance of a crack."
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

Orangeblood

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 11:18:58 AM »

My advice really doesn't sound that far-fetched, whether or not I have ever seen just what a cymbal does when hit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_cymbal

"Cracking

Crashes are often the first cymbal in a setup to warp and ultimately crack due to repeated striking of the edge. Cymbal cracking is generally in the form of a fracture along the edge, or across the bow, often originating from the edge. Cracks in cymbals are caused by poor technique or excessive play, or more rarely, the result of a defect originating from manufacture, or damage to the cymbal not caused by playing, for example dropping. If a crack is left untreated, it will begin to follow the lathe grooves around the cymbal, and could potentially spread all the way round the cymbal and back to the point where the crack started, causing the outer portion to simply drop off.

Often, lower quality sheet cymbals are more likely to crack, due to stress caused in some areas by pressing sheet metal. Thicker cymbals are also more likely to crack due to their brittleness, and less freedom to vibrate.

Some suggest that wear on the cymbal can be reduced by playing with glancing blows, angled to the side and slightly away from the vertical, about a quarter of the way between the edge and the center and allowing the drum stick to bounce off naturally, rather than forcing the stick down at the cymbal head-on. This allows the cymbal to vibrate freely and for little stress to be caused on the edge or at the center hole, thus reducing the chance of a crack."

The key to that statement is " excessive playing" and "manuf. defect". 25+ yrs and I have cracked 2 cymbals. Brass gives and moves a lot more than you can imagine. Try and find a youtube video of a cymbal hit in slow motion...I think you'll understand where I'm coming from.
The OP is talking about his e-cymbals, so all of this really has no bearing anyway. I doubt he is hitting the underside...these cymbals are cheap, just like the pads. They will break no matter how you hit. Glue, screws, plastic just doesn't lend itself to being hit by 16" wooden sticks.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 12:32:10 PM »
I imagine there's a lot to be said for the music style played as well. You are more likely to kill a crash playing deathcore than polka. You just can't bash on these kits...
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 01:08:42 PM »
The key to that statement is " excessive playing" and "manuf. defect". 25+ yrs and I have cracked 2 cymbals. Brass gives and moves a lot more than you can imagine. Try and find a youtube video of a cymbal hit in slow motion...I think you'll understand where I'm coming from.
The OP is talking about his e-cymbals, so all of this really has no bearing anyway. I doubt he is hitting the underside...these cymbals are cheap, just like the pads. They will break no matter how you hit. Glue, screws, plastic just doesn't lend itself to being hit by 16" wooden sticks.

I'll look at the videos - I'm sure it's good knowledge to have regarding acoustic cymbals. The quality of the cymbals is key, of course. But I've had Zildjian A's crack in the past from heavy hitting.

You are right that the pads can only take so much. So - IMHO, if you use glancing blows and let your stick bounce off the pad instead of crashing through it, it will help the cymbal last longer. I just don't believe that technique has no impact (literally) on the life of cymbals, acoustic OR electric. I think stick size and velocity matter a lot, too.

Orangeblood

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 10:33:36 AM »
I imagine there's a lot to be said for the music style played as well. You are more likely to kill a crash playing deathcore than polka. You just can't bash on these kits...

HaHa...true. I'm picturing this....LMAO

Offline rockdude

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 07:18:22 PM »
Never let your daughter whack a cymbal  ;D

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 05:14:32 PM »
Never let your daughter whack a cymbal  ;D
Heeheh,

Anyhoo an update from Alesis..... they want me to pack age my whole drum kit up and send it back where I bought it from for an RMA.....

I’m sorry for the delay in responding to your email, and also that you have had problems with your Cymbal, I would advise you if the drum kit is within 12 months then I would advise you to return it to your retailer, if the unit is outside of the 12 months then please contact our customer support team to book the unit in for repair.

Well thats what the email reads like... It's obvious that the store I bought it from won't have spare cymbals for RMA returns and i would have though Alesis(UK) would have offered me a replacment.

Orangeblood

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 05:30:42 PM »
You sure about sending the ENTIRE kit back?

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 07:14:57 PM »
You sure about sending the ENTIRE kit back?
I doubt he meant that in the email, (appears to have been worded incorrectly) however I cannot see the store I bought the kit from having spare parts. They'll most likely tell me to contact Alesis.