Author Topic: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit Review (part 1 of 2)  (Read 4681 times)

Online Hellfire

Alesis DM10 Pro Kit Review (part 1 of 2)
« on: November 20, 2009, 05:36:45 PM »
Alesis DM10 Pro Kit Review (part 1 of 2)
The first part of my review is up at HellfireDrums.com. This part focuses mainly on the hardware of the Alesis DM10 Pro kit. Part two will be on the module. I've only had the kit for a few days and the weekend will give me some good time to really break in the DM10 module.

More to come soon.:)

Offline goony

Re: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit Review (part 1 of 2)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 05:51:01 AM »
and I for one, am eagerly awaiting the rest of the review :D
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275

Offline rockdude

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 01:43:21 PM »
Me too! Nice and detailed review. I'm still waiting for the videos!  ;)

Offline goony

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 07:38:41 AM »
still waiting for [part 2 :D
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 10:45:23 AM »
still waiting for [part 2 :D
Yes I know. The kids are off school this week and I'm playing mister mom. Finding the time is a little difficult. I can tell you that I tried a Roland FD-7 Hi-hat controller with the DM10 and after the auto calibration, it works just as good as the Alesis supplied hi-hat pedal. This is important because the two pedals have much different ohm values. Which means it will be easier for the DIY'er to make his/her own hi-hat controller. ;D

Offline rockdude

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 11:44:10 AM »
....and suddenly he found a solution:
Kids listen up, Mr Mom needs to do part 2 of the Alesis DM10 Pro Kit Review. Help me out or play this super awesome video game while I'm doing it.
;D

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 04:56:56 PM »
I originally posted this over at EdrumForum.com because of the conversion that was happing over there. I thought it was relevant to DMdrummer.com as well. So, here you go:
Wow! I love this thread. I have been sitting back and watching what people have to say. I will admit I'm struggling a little with how to proceed with the DM10 module review. People want audio, video, and details on all. I can do the audio. I cringe at the thought of doing video because I'm not that good of a drummer. Maybe I could just video shoot the module and the in and out of it?

One observation I would like to make: If you are a pro edrum player (i.e. use high end equipment) there is nothing below a Roland TD-20, Yamaha DTXtreem III or a sampler array that you will ever like, period. That is like asking someone who drives a Ferrari "what do you think of the new Kia Sportage". I would expect a response like EDrum Pro's in that case.

That is why I believe context is everything. Basically, based on the money that one spends is it a deal. For what I have seen so far the answer is yes. But, there is a big but, I'm looking at this kit (drums & module) from a DIY perspective. Are the drum triggers really good? There are O.K. Like I said in the review, they get the job done. I do prefer mesh over these type of triggers, but guess what, it would be really easy to convert these stock drum trigger and make them almost as nice as a Roland, Hart, or Pintech style drum trigger.

I agree with dauzman that sound engines come and go and what is important is the internal functions. I think the internal sound set on the DM10 is pretty good (keep in mind that it can be updated). It is not as good as the high end stuff, but for a $600 module it is probably the best (and if it had samples of Tom's drums it would be even better).

So far I am very impressed with the DM10's internal functions. You can "stack" two sounds for every trigger input. Alesis calls it layers A & B. I don't like using the term "layers" because most here use that to mean the number of samples in a give instrument (i.e. the oak snare has 17 layered samples). The Xtalk function is by far the best I have ever seen in any module that I've used. You can control the Xtalk received to that zone separate from the Xtalk sent from that zone and you can even control the Xtalk between two adjacent zones (meaning on the same TRS input, think snare head vs snare rim). Of course you also have sensitivity, re-trigger, and threshold parameters that can all be tweaked. There are 15 different Velocity curves, and most rim triggers can be set to either piezo or switch. If you set to switch you can make the switch as a trigger-able zone or use it as a switch for changing kits or starting and stopping a sequence. There are 22 total possible zones. I thought there would be 24 but, two of the inputs on the DM10 are fixed. The Hi-hat is a single zone only (probably because Alesis didn't want to program for two zones with variable pedal control) and the crash input (#7) is set for single zone with choke switch. The switch on input #7 can only be used as a choke. Why they did this, I don't know. Maybe limited space in the OS ROM. Who knows.

Another thing I like about the the DM10 is its ability to use a three zone ride. Yes the DM10 can handle a 3 zone ride. The catch is you have to use two inputs to make this happen (a lot like how Roland does it). The DM10 kit come set-up this way from the factory.

I guess I now have a way to go about the review for this module. This post will be the start of it I guess. Thanks guys!

BTW, if you guys have any specific questions that you would like me to look into about this module. Just let me know and I will see if I can incorporate them in the audio/video review.

Offline rockdude

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 06:19:17 PM »
I cringe at the thought of doing video because I'm not that good of a drummer.

Well I don't care about your drumming. I think most DIY's aren't that good at drumming. Pro drummers use TD-20 and equals and I would too if I had the money...and was a pro drummer, but I'm not and neither are the majority of the people on most forums and especially not in the DIY sections, so don't mind the elite when they say that everything is crap except my $$$$$$$$$$$-drum kit that is so good that it almost plays by it self.

I really wish I could play like this:
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PqxiWOxwuw)....but I never will...I might never wear that super cool outfit either, but I'm cool with that  ;D

I must say that I like your drumming on "Traitor" which is a very good song by the way...and the video is great! Your brother certainly has some video editing skills.

I think it would be cool to see you try the dynamics. Striking a pad very light to hard. Try some rolls ( Doesn't have to be perfect rolls..I just want to see the stick bounce while pressed and how well the DM10 triggers from that 8) )

Maybe you could play a normal beat just to show the whole kit being played and then make small clips of certain tests like rolls, dynamics, hihat response, ghost notes and so forth.

I read all posts in your thread over at edrumforum.com and I must say I'm surprised that there's so much criticism about the DM10 by users that haven't played or heard it.

+1 for videos of the DM10!!!  ;D Go Hellfire!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 12:20:59 AM »
I cringe at the thought of doing video because I'm not that good of a drummer.

Well I don't care about your drumming. I think most DIY's aren't that good at drumming. Pro drummers use TD-20 and equals and I would too if I had the money...and was a pro drummer, but I'm not and neither are the majority of the people on most forums and especially not in the DIY sections, so don't mind the elite when they say that everything is crap except my $$$$$$$$$$$-drum kit that is so good that it almost plays by it self.

I really wish I could play like this:
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PqxiWOxwuw)....but I never will...I might never wear that super cool outfit either, but I'm cool with that  ;D

I must say that I like your drumming on "Traitor" which is a very good song by the way...and the video is great! Your brother certainly has some video editing skills.

I think it would be cool to see you try the dynamics. Striking a pad very light to hard. Try some rolls ( Doesn't have to be perfect rolls..I just want to see the stick bounce while pressed and how well the DM10 triggers from that 8) )

Maybe you could play a normal beat just to show the whole kit being played and then make small clips of certain tests like rolls, dynamics, hihat response, ghost notes and so forth.

I read all posts in your thread over at edrumforum.com and I must say I'm surprised that there's so much criticism about the DM10 by users that haven't played or heard it.

+1 for videos of the DM10!!!  ;D Go Hellfire!
Wow! the "Traitor" video has been down for some time. When did you listen to it? Thanks for the compliment. :)

Anyway, After reading the posts over at EDF and your advice about how to shoot the video, I'm going to do it. Thanks!

As far as criticism goes, that just the way things are. Most people get vested in the brand equipment they buy and want to believe theirs is the best. Sometime people just have a bad taste in their month with a company because of some past wrong they feel the company did to them. That's my take on it anyway.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 06:36:48 AM »
I'm not suprised about the critisism, considering the source.  I'd just like to see quarter, eighth, sixteenth, 32nd's on the snare and a basic rock pattern on the kit.  Just pick your favorite kit.