Author Topic: Using the Roland VH-11 with the Strike  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Iggford

Using the Roland VH-11 with the Strike
« on: November 07, 2018, 10:07:35 AM »
Hey, guys, a couple more hi-hat questions here.

I decided to take the plunge and pick up a VH-11 to go with my Strike kit.  I liked the playability of the Gen16 hi-hat I was using, but it was hard to keep a good balance in the mix for our recordings.  I wanted to find a good full-electronic solution.

I am mostly satisfied with the switch, but I am still seeing some quirks that I was hoping would be taken care of when I made the change.

I am using v1.4 of the Strike firmware.  I am noticing that I am not getting much response from the controller with slight changes in position at the beginning.  By this, I mean, it feels like I have to open the pedal up more than I should have to in order to get the semi-open sounds.  I can usually compensate for this, but at faster tempos, it ends up causing me to miss some open hits.  I had this issue with the GoEdrum controller, but I was hoping I could get the VH-11 to work a bit better than that. 

The other issue I'm having is a slight lack of response from the hi-hat cymbal itself.  I have always found the Roland cymbals to be a bit more responsive, and I a little surprised to find that I'm not getting much better dynamic response from the Roland than I was the stock cymbal. 

Is anyone successfully running the VH-11 with their Strike?  If so, how do you have your settings worked out to get the most out of it?  I know the potential is there, I'm just having trouble dialing it in.

Thanks in advance!

--
Shawn.

Re: Using the Roland VH-11 with the Strike
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 04:36:14 PM »
i also need to know how to use the vh11 with the strike module. Im only getting open hihat sounds. im on version 1.4 which may be the reason why it doesnt work because there is no hihat calibration tool.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 01:10:53 AM »
Be sure to use the vh11 top and strike bottom pieces. Try the log pedal curves. I use offset 00 and log 3, works perfectly for me

Offline cleverest

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 01:24:50 PM »
Iggford,

Hey buddy, did you ever get the VH11's working great? Is it superior to using the Strike's default hats?

Offline Iggford

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 11:51:11 AM »
Iggford,
Hey buddy, did you ever get the VH11's working great? Is it superior to using the Strike's default hats?

I did get them working really well, better IMO than the stock hats.  But I sold my VH-11 because I fell in love with my Gen16.  I use them in most venues we play in, and the stock hats are adequate for the small places if necessary.

--
Shawn

Offline cleverest

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 12:22:53 PM »
Iggford,

I did get them working really well, better IMO than the stock hats.  But I sold my VH-11 because I fell in love with my Gen16.  I use them in most venues we play in, and the stock hats are adequate for the small places if necessary.

I honestly just play at home and likely always will, but I miss real hi-hat dynamics. Do you feel the Gen 16 hats are worth the investment? You have to use a separate module/controller for them don't you?

--
Shawn

Offline cleverest

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 12:23:44 PM »
Also are they louder acoustically whacking away on them with no audio vs. the Strike hats?

Offline cleverest

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 12:24:47 PM »
Nevermind, I saw your other post response about Gen 16 on the other post...just wondering how loud they are without any sound (I have to watch my noise levels where I live...)

Offline Iggford

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 10:34:35 AM »
Nevermind, I saw your other post response about Gen 16 on the other post...just wondering how loud they are without any sound (I have to watch my noise levels where I live...)

Mine are packed up at the moment for a gig tonight, but my plan is to set everything back up this weekend at home because the band is taking a break until October.  It's my annual cleaning and layout changing month!  I'll try to get some video of the Gen16 sound vs. the mesh heads on the kit and put it up.  There may be something out there already, but I'm not positive.  I'll see what I can get! :)

--
Shawn

Offline cleverest

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 12:19:40 PM »
Cool! :-)