Author Topic: DM 10 & Hihat Controller  (Read 2280 times)

Offline ahu

DM 10 & Hihat Controller
« on: May 07, 2014, 01:38:55 AM »

Hi there from Germany !!!
I am new to this Forum and have an explicit question regarding the Hihat-Controller-Function of the DM 10.
Can anybody support me with the exact resistor-values, the DM 10 expects at the Hihat-Controller-Input.
Right now I am using the Millenium Hihat-Controller w/Switch but this Controller allows only to open/close the Hihat.

Thanks in advance
A.

Offline Trondster

Re: DM 10 & Hihat Controller
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 03:45:43 AM »
Welcome aboard!

You want to use a variable resistor - 0-80kOhm is a good range. Or even better, about 2-80kOhm (the module can't distinguish between 0 and 2-3kOhm). I believe the closed position is the lowest resistance, while the open pedal has the greatest resistance.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline ahu

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 12:42:36 AM »

Thanks for your fast response !!!
...will try to figure some things out...

Offline rhysT

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 02:02:24 AM »
Can the DM10's hihat settings be tweaked to simulate partially open hihat sounds with the foot pedal fully released, if I don't want to use the normal open hihat sound?

Offline Trondster

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 02:22:09 AM »
It's often better to start new threads than starting new discussion in existing topics. But, as I already have answered in another thread:
Yes, you can tweak the hi-hat - by increasing the trim values, by adding a hardware switch with a resistor in parallel.

Try adjusting the TRIM values in the Hihat settings in the Ext Trigger menu. Increase the value of the open setting.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 08:58:45 PM »
Thanks Trondster for the info - your suggestion about the switched resistor had me searching further and I found an interesting mod built into the pedal which should do what I want: http://www.drumagination.com/hi-hat.html 
It's a simple enough mod with the pot only controlling the hihat setting when the pedal is fully up.