Author Topic: Strike Module Trouble, Need Help Please  (Read 472 times)

Offline DannyM

Strike Module Trouble, Need Help Please
« on: January 10, 2021, 07:12:26 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me with this issue I have never seen.

I did the factory reset on the Strike module and somehow wound up on a screen that read diagnostics V1.00j instead of what the normal reset screen I am used to shows.

It has a variety of tests to run, but I was afraid to mess with it and could not get out of the prompt so I shut off the module.

Now every time I boot up the module, I get a message that reads " incompatible data" once the big bird preset kit loads up.
I have never done anything to the module  such as load my own samples or software, I have been using as is out of the box.

Please see the images, please let me know if anyone has seen these screens or how to clear the error message as I am worried it will cause problems somewhere down the road.

As I mentioned, it is out of the box, nothing added, but I think I could have stumbled into an area I should not have.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to look at this.

Danny

Offline Chaser

Re: Strike Module Trouble, Need Help Please
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 10:17:24 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me with this issue I have never seen.

I did the factory reset on the Strike module and somehow wound up on a screen that read diagnostics V1.00j instead of what the normal reset screen I am used to shows.

It has a variety of tests to run, but I was afraid to mess with it and could not get out of the prompt so I shut off the module.

Now every time I boot up the module, I get a message that reads " incompatible data" once the big bird preset kit loads up.
I have never done anything to the module  such as load my own samples or software, I have been using as is out of the box.

Please see the images, please let me know if anyone has seen these screens or how to clear the error message as I am worried it will cause problems somewhere down the road.

As I mentioned, it is out of the box, nothing added, but I think I could have stumbled into an area I should not have.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to look at this.

Danny

I haven't seen anyone with that screen in a long time.That is for the techs/problem solving.
I had similar when I first got the STRIKE module but that was version 1.0-1.1 and I think if you pressed continue there was an exit option...

Have you checked the OS versions under Utility?...was this module a New module shipped with v1.5 (not updated to v1.5)
You may want to try and reinstall the firmware and see if the module accepts it.

EDIT:
I forgot to ask if you have connected the module to a computer and checked to see if the STRIKE Editor recognizes the module.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 10:33:38 AM by Chaser »

Offline DannyM

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 01:53:57 PM »
Thanks for the response Chaser,

I have not done anything to it yet, I ordered it from Sweetwater and it came with the latest 1.5version installed, I saw it listed as such in the utility as well.
The message did not appear until only a day ago after I did the factory reset.

I have not tried to download  the firmware yet because I have never done something like that and not sure what all it involves.

I read the Alesis site Instructions and found out I need a USB cable to connect it from the module to the laptop.
Any advice as to what type of cable  that I should use to transfer the data over from the laptop to the module?

I see them for printers and such, are they the same type of thing or do I need to find a specific type.

Thanks again for getting back to me and taking time out of your day.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 03:18:27 PM »
It's just a standard USB-B connection. You don't need anything special. USB-B to USB-A (or C if your computer has one). I was looking through my Strike manual and it says this cable is included. I have a few laying around so not sure if one was in the box or not.
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 06:45:03 PM »
Thanks for the response Chaser,

I have not done anything to it yet, I ordered it from Sweetwater and it came with the latest 1.5version installed, I saw it listed as such in the utility as well.
The message did not appear until only a day ago after I did the factory reset.

I have not tried to download  the firmware yet because I have never done something like that and not sure what all it involves.

I read the Alesis site Instructions and found out I need a USB cable to connect it from the module to the laptop.
Any advice as to what type of cable  that I should use to transfer the data over from the laptop to the module?

I see them for printers and such, are they the same type of thing or do I need to find a specific type.

Thanks again for getting back to me and taking time out of your day.

A standard USB A to B cable is all that's need.I would use a USB 2.0 port if available.

When updating the firmware the updater doesn't actually perform an update like a computer Windows etc..it erases the ROMs and replaces with whichever version Firmware you chose.
Currently it's v1.5...Content is last and usually takes  a few minutes.

You can even downgrade the OS while keeping all the contents of the SD Card.I still use v1.3 which doesn't have the auto Hi Hat calibration ,different screen and doesn't load the kits in the background.
The V1.5 updater is an all in one..some of the previous updates (pre-v1.4) required being connected to the STRIKE editor for part(s) of the updating process.
New content..kits,instruments and samples are installed on the SD Card,If you actually pull the internal SD card
The OS remains intact and the module will still power up and operate..just all the kits instruments samples will be blank.

When you connect to the computer , then power on the module.. drivers etc will be installed and you'll see the internal SD Card and External (USER) SD Cards appear as USB Drives (previously they showed up as SD Cards or removable storage) in the column on the left when in File Explorer.
The External (USER) SD Card appears 1st then the internal SD Card appears after the Editor has started/recognized the module.
The Editor may need a moment to recognize the module.If there is a problem you'll see an error message.
When you exit the STRIKE Editor the Internal SD Card will disappear from the column (File Explorer) 1st...then when you power down the module the External (USER) SD Card will follow.
The reason I asked about the STRIKE Editor recognizing the module is because the worst thing that can happen during an updating process is loss of power.
I don't know if powering down the module when it was in (apparently) diagnostic mode if it remained in that state.

Since you purchased from Sweetwater they are very good on warranty returns should that be the case..just point them to this forum and link to this topic.

The STRIKE module has it's own page but Alesis still hasn't added links for the Firmware or the Editor update for macOS

There are detailed instruction/links for all the downloads..Editor/updates
STRIKE FIRMWARE UPDATES[

or just go to any of the STRIKE Kits on the Alesis website

Offline DannyM

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 08:44:21 PM »
Thanks so much for the info Chaser !

I really appreciate it !

I need to get my hands on a USB cable first and I will see what I can get done and hope I do not screw this up.

I will let y'all know what happens.