Author Topic: DM10X - get cymbal voices on tom3 and tom4  (Read 1013 times)

DM10X - get cymbal voices on tom3 and tom4
« on: February 07, 2019, 12:02:59 AM »
Setting up a new to me DM10X.  Did factory reset and updated firmware.  While flipping thru the drum kits, it seems most of them have a cymbal sound on tom3 and tom4 instead of tom sound.      I don't mean I get a crosstalk activation, the tom3 itself produces a cymbal sound instead of a tom tom sound.

Any ideas why? 

I did go into the module and tell it that it was a DM10X Mesh kit.

Offline AlanK

Re: DM10X - get cymbal voices on tom3 and tom4
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 09:04:25 AM »
I'm going to take a guess that when you reset it to factory defaults you didn't switch the setting to DM10X (or DM10, been a while). As far as I recall, you get an option to tell the module if it's the DM10 or DM7 or something like that.. the other option has less toms so you get cymbals instead)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 11:13:47 PM »
Thx Alan!  After the factory reset, I did go into Utility, triggers, all triggers, and then select the DM10X Mesh kit.

I'm still only getting cymbal sounds though.   Any  other ideas?

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 09:38:10 AM »
any chance the cables are mixed up? trace back those tom cables to make sure they didn't get put into cymbal inputs.. I've done it  :)

other than that, just go to the triggers menu, and change them back to toms.. then save.. it may be a pain if you need to do it for other sets but I think if you've got the triggers mapped it'll update all the kits properly
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 09:46:45 AM »
Turns out that only the rim trigger is sounding, not the head.  The rim voice was set to a cymbal.  Changed it to Tom and at least I get the expected sound.   Posted a different thread asking how to fix the trigger so I get the dual zone working again.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 06:10:56 PM »
Had some time today to open up Tom3 and Tom4 and take a look.   After I separated all the pieces and piezzos I tapped them and turns out they were both working just fine.

The issue appeared to be that the foam separating the rim piezzo from the head piezzo was not adequate.   I added some little chunks of foam and used gauze tape to hold them in place.   Reassembled the Tom and adjusted the Xtalk a bit and now everything is working perfectly!

So happy now with my DM10X!!!