Author Topic: Pearl MIMIC Pro  (Read 33622 times)

Offline ChrisK

Re: Pearl MIMIC Pro
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2018, 05:09:40 AM »
Review from Drumlab users unbiased:

With the 1.0.7.2 update this thing is a different beast. I am using an ATV adrums kit with some extra Roland cymbal pads and the playability is very....very good. The trigger settings allow me to have even more dynamics and increased sensitivity on ATV pads than even the ad5. The trigger settings are a game changer because you can increase the gain and get more sensitivity on edge of snare and also on other pads you can allow softer hits to register. The sounds of course are incredible and I can't wait for new sounds (hopefully dry and thinner cymbals) and possible multi sample importing.

The mimic when compared to TD-50 does have much better sounds. I have noticed that the hi hat is better than Roland which is surprising since Roland has always had the best hi hat playability. If using SD3 on TD-50 it plays and sound great, but the "2" hi hats in the module play good, but not at level of Mimic. I took out the extra tight samples of TD-50 by changing to 90 on hi hat instead of 127 and like Peter Warren said, it sounds like very few samples repeating in closed hat playing. I was expecting to like the TD-50 more, but after tweaking sounds a lot, I just got ok sounds so far. The acoustic instruments are very limited on the module and I was hoping that even with only a few options that you could sculpt into usable sounds.... The sounds are harsh sounding and even some of the cymbals have an odd sound to them that I can't explain. Im sure theres more editing to be had, but the snares are the obvious weak leak with sounds. Now the kit "plays" extremely well and there's lots of nuances you can make on it and this aspect is where it seems to shine.

The hi hat after doing a brief set up plays so good and has that great semi-open sound that is a lot more natural to play compared to even SD3 and Roland modules. Superior drummer 3 hi hat settings are great with fine adjustment to open levels...but the mimic is so smooth and seamless in the transitions and seems easier to play the semi open sounds. There isn't that abrupt level change as you transition through the layers of open and close. The compression presets and EQ to dial in make such a change to sounds and even the tuning when done in small adjustments sounds good and realistic. Roland modules would start to sound very unnatural with tuning. Thank you to Pearl and the team that helped make this happen and can't wait to see whats on the horizon!

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2018, 05:50:50 PM »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2018, 10:42:14 AM »
MIMIC PRO UPDATE Released Today v1.0.8
http://pearldrum.com/products/kits/electronics/mimic-pro-module/#updates

Alesis could learn a vital lesson from the Mimic Pro developers by interacting with current and potential users via forums like this to improve the Strike and other modules. For example Slate's Sergey Danilov (aka Mr Boo) has chalked up 1000 posts on the Vdrums forum and has adapted many suggestions including some of mine:
https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/products/1133133-archived-official-pearl-mimic-pro-discussion-topic?p=1139541#post1139541
https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/products/1133133-archived-official-pearl-mimic-pro-discussion-topic?p=1133567#post1133567

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2018, 05:11:31 PM »
MIMIC PRO UPDATE Released Today v1.0.8
http://pearldrum.com/products/kits/electronics/mimic-pro-module/#updates

Alesis could learn a vital lesson from the Mimic Pro developers by interacting with current and potential users via forums like this to improve the Strike and other modules. For example Slate's Sergey Danilov (aka Mr Boo) has chalked up 1000 posts on the Vdrums forum and has adapted many suggestions including some of mine:
https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/products/1133133-archived-official-pearl-mimic-pro-discussion-topic?p=1139541#post1139541
https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/products/1133133-archived-official-pearl-mimic-pro-discussion-topic?p=1133567#post1133567

Things to consider, there is difference on the module tech allowed and not capable, mimic is basically a powerful computer that can run most vst, since it use VST technologies at will,  not like any others module on the market. Also people that are not used to VST, especially from non owner, are speculating false stuff on mimic and reported from people don't have a clue on dynamic threshold etc. They never really used any VST, most VST use multichannel individual mic and effect for each mic and global fx, for better sound precision, depth, GB'S per kits, fast loading etc..
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 05:30:35 PM by ChrisK »

Offline ChrisK

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 03:56:31 PM by ChrisK »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2019, 01:58:44 AM »
New MIMIC Update v1.0.9 over 50 changes, http://pearl-electronics-support.com/pearl-modules/mimic-pro/?fbclid=IwAR26iePgLh73jtm8i8CZYfaCSTbPglY7ud51QEAKzjH1M3z5-s4gQxtt2jI   Few quick new feature, fast kit loading no gap sound kit by kit, on par with Roland but in VST. New mic solo to isolate individual mic for easier mic editing and much faster, you can link mic now all in one, now possible to record internal song with internal recorder together big difference here, new ASR fader quick damping, enhanced even more better trigger engine, individual ride zone tune\volume editing, individual editing crosstick\ rim\ click editing etc..New GUI improved, full new backup system, new improvement and fix etc..

Latest demo, all recorded inside and mix inside (no 3rd party plugings FX used like siren channel from computer daw mix), https://soundcloud.com/user-761115092/pmp-new-kit-d?fbclid=IwAR14ILQ_sBpocrVTVlo_n4WdFIryLomN6ntnJSPlTqGNfnbR-36FlKrGZN4
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:39:54 PM by ChrisK »

Re: Pearl MIMIC
« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2019, 02:30:14 PM »
This is list price not street price, someone called them and told would be near Roland TD25 Price range..let see

Sounds reasonable. But i'm a bit laughing @Steven Slate when he points out the "Top Level Burr Brown Converters". Alesis had them since the D4 or so? :) A better, pricier point should be the number of audio outs (with DB-25) in relation to the TD25/TD30 or the DTX950.

1999$ street price now

If the module allows you to output every single pad individually to a mixer (or a DAW) then that alone makes it great, as of now  I think the TD-50 also has that capability. but question  and this is because I just don't see why anyone would spend that much unless they are getting something great..
Why would you buy this module as opposed to a Strike module (load the Vsts to it) and play them from the module. I guess when this post was originally posted the mimic WAS a game changer, no computer needed to play VST quality sounds, but now you can do that with other modules and still also have the modules built in sounds... is it the touch screen??

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2019, 07:20:08 PM »
This is list price not street price, someone called them and told would be near Roland TD25 Price range..let see

Sounds reasonable. But i'm a bit laughing @Steven Slate when he points out the "Top Level Burr Brown Converters". Alesis had them since the D4 or so? :) A better, pricier point should be the number of audio outs (with DB-25) in relation to the TD25/TD30 or the DTX950.

1999$ street price now

If the module allows you to output every single pad individually to a mixer (or a DAW) then that alone makes it great, as of now  I think the TD-50 also has that capability. but question  and this is because I just don't see why anyone would spend that much unless they are getting something great..
Why would you buy this module as opposed to a Strike module (load the Vsts to it) and play them from the module. I guess when this post was originally posted the mimic WAS a game changer, no computer needed to play VST quality sounds, but now you can do that with other modules and still also have the modules built in sounds... is it the touch screen??

The individual number of output are 16 audio out. There is no one in the market have more then half of this. Burr Brown Converters TD-50 don't even have this, but cheapest DAC, atv use Burr brown Converters. To match this you need thunderbolt card for very low latency and 16 output external audio cards which will cost you lots of $ not cheap stereo card that cost 50$

The word importing sound is totally misleading, it's how it play, how it trigs, how it feel. That really depend on your own skill level to see the difference. The other module strike, 2box don't trigs same as MIMIC\Roland, swell, hihat, dynamic. Latency compare 3ms to 10ms latency on strike.  Strike module run 16bit samples strike limited to 200MB per kit limited to 2 zones snare\toms\crash, 2 articulations. On mimic\VST there is no real limit per kit, you can have 5-6 articulations per triggers by default,  full 24bits, you can have up to 24 triggers per kits, specified built of triggers to get maximum playability on individual brand, not generic triggers engine, this will never trig accurately with others brand pad, this require much more expensive CPU to handle all this, don't think hihat and triggers play the same on all module, that is totally way off.

There is big misconception of importing vst, first of all, most people only play and run sound built in, loading sample are not user friendly and take lots of time before it works great, people that use SDSE don't have a clue if it's right or not, they just play full Rock 120 velocity-127 velocity all the time, many of time you will see random sound pop in, bad ghost notes, bad dynamic, PPP TO FFF. Ask Tim Moran he owned 3, 2 bad strike module, with random audio level board output are sell on the market, the sample imports is not plugs and play at all it require works.

All I can say, some people that I know had 2box and strike, got mimic and never looked back for drum purpose\triggers capability, there is difference on everything if you have the right quality triggers like ATV ( not strike triggers), that why it cost more, it's not about sound, it's about everything and how all it's perform and sound together, but again that really depend on your own skill level to see all the difference, have dynamic hand, faster slower etc.. others module might works for you until you progress on skill level etc..   You can get it 1800$ now. Added to this, continuous supports and new things will be available it just take a bit more time.

The market is full of old generation hardware for small niche which is edrum, <4gb from 90's.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 04:54:11 AM by ChrisK »

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2019, 10:30:31 AM »

1999$ street price now

This is a HUGE misconception about the strike.  That you "put vst's into it".   You in fact do NOT.  Now, you can create .wav samples based on the sounds you are using in a VST program but the actual sound of a VST is only a fraction of what a VST does.  You are putting all the capabilities of that VST into the module.    And seeing the mimic takes the SSD5 VST and even improves on it further, smooths it out.    Even computer based VST programs are not optimized for edrums.  Sure you can trigger it via midi.  But it will never play as well as the module does.   

Plus there really isn't that much cost savings of buying a strike over the mimic.    If you don't have a laptop or at the very least a computer that can be put next to your module you will need to invest in some computer of some kind to use the software required to even put samples in the strike.    Its NOT a simple process.    Even if you have pre purchased multi layer sample libraries the process to put them in the module is NOT a quick one.    And those samples better be pre processed with all the eq and compression done to them because the eq and compressor in the strike is basic.  Beyond basic really.   They are global units and not very effective.   But it doesn't stop there.  You have strike and the laptop ($300 minimum investment and its going to run slow)    but wait now you need to buy lustark software and maybe reaper.   So there is another $60 for reaper and I think its another $30 or $40 for lustark.  So tack on another $100.   Now you have your strike, your laptop and your conversion software.    Oh crap.  We forgot you need VST programs to convert or even just buying sample libraries.   That's more money.   If you want to convert SD3 you are buying that $400 program.    So now you are around a $1500 investement and for another $200 and some frugal shopping techniques you can buy a mimic.   And have all your edits in the module in one place, no outboard programs or conversion process.     You need to learn one single unit.  Not 4 different things to have what will ultimately be a compromise with less desirable triggering results and that is if the sounds even come across the same as they did in the VST.  Which brings me to the biggest reason I kicked the strike to the curb.

Imagine this nightmare scenario.   You have your strike, laptop, software, samples VST program and you put all your sounds in the module and you go to play it.   It sounds like garbage.   What happened?  Well that's ok I will just adjust the sound within the module.  But wait you cant.   You have a 2 band shelf eq.  Which basically means you are either going to brighten or darken the overall sound of the kit.  You aren't doing any major tone shaping here.   Well how about compression.  Just a threshold and makeup gain.  Not doing much with that.   So after all that hassle and effort and time.  You create sounds that just aren't to your liking.   What do you do?  You start over.  And that gets annoying after awhile.   

Other advantages the mimic has over the strike.  Just the bullet points.

1.  More samples.  There is more information in the snare of an average mimic kit than a complete kit in the strike.

2. More round robins and velocity layers.   This give you better sense of dynamics and realism when you play.   The strike cant ever use as many samples even on the 1.4 update.

3.  The hi hat engine is better than any other module period.   The TD50 and strike hi hat suck.  The strike because even with aftermarket upgrades it lacks realism and accuracy.   The TD50 because ever hi hat in that module sounds like an keychain sound maker.  The mimics hi hat is a seemless fluid experience that can be incredibly realistic with great barking, accuracy and realism.  When dialed in with a good hi hat (atv preferred) you get the best response of any Edrum hi hat.  Even has the pitch increase with additional foot pressure.   

4. Cymbal swells feel natural.  Strikes suck. Especially if you have strike cymbals.  Which I wouldn't use as a frisbee. 

5.  Rimshots are played by playing an actual rimshot.   None of this assigning a rimshot to the edge stuff.  You can if you want to. But you can also play a rimshot just like you would on a regular snare.

6. 24 bit sounds vs 16

7.  Strike even with 1.4 update has a limit to how much data can effectively be used in a kit.

8.  Reliability.  I had my strike module replaced 3 or 4 times.  Cant remember but it was at least 3.  Never sent my mimic in for any reason.   Yeah there was a hiccup with the mimic recently.  But they were on it like gangbusters and they righted the ship in quick fashion.   

9.  Product variance.   Of the 4 or 5 strike modules I have had in my possession no two modules sounded or performed identically.  Some features worked on some.  Another module not.    And I know for a fact some modules  sound much better and louder via headphones regardless of the resistor mod the factory is doing on early modules to repair headphone out failures.   Some modules display improper recording times.  Some modules cant use pedal curves on the hi hat.   There are also a number of corrupted samples that were not mapped properly and if used as a layer on each other will literally lock the module and freeze it.   

10. Virtually Zero support 1 on 1 from Alesis.   The mimic is constantly evolving and they are committed to providing upgrades and a great experience for users.   If you have technical problems with your strike, you will be on the phone with someone who is NOT a dedicated strike or even alesis employee.  You will be talking to an In music customer service representative whos pinnacle of their skillset is reading the manual to you.  I cant tell you how frustrating it is being on the phone for 2 hours with someone who knows a 10th of what you do on a product they are trained to troubleshoot.    A LOT gets lost in translation.   

11. Build quality.   Use a screen protector on the mimic and you are good.  Its case is made of metal and the parts are high quality.   Drop your strike module and its not a matter of if its going to crack, just how bad.  It makes the TD25 look like a challenger 2 tank.   

12. Volume via headphones.  The strike is weak sauce in this department.  Even with extremely easy to power in ears that are known for being loud AF are just barely adequate in the strike.   I could not even play the module without using the make up gain in the compressor.   And even then it compromised sound quality.   Had to use a headphone amp. 

13. Ease of use.  I know this will shock many because the mimic has a reputation for being hard to use.   But I guess I just find others issues with it trivial.   Is there a learning curve?  Yeah.  But there was a learning curve with the first edrum kit you ever bought.  No one is born with divine knowledge of how these things operate.    So yes the mimic does things differently.   But once you are past the curve you really realize that most of the issues people have with using the mimic is over thinking things, not trusting their ear and/or just refusing to learn it.       The strike if you are going to utilize the features that make it what it is require you to learn complicated slow software and what it takes to take a kit from SSD5 to module will take you hours where all I have to do is a few finger swipes.

« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2019, 11:30:12 AM »
I understand, but I was able to get my DIY drum set with Alesis I/O and Steven Slate 4 sound very decent, I would say that the lack of articulation was not because of the computer but because of my shitty DIY triggers, still I never had missed notes or machine gunning, I tested that same setup but with Roland pads, much improved, and that was with my old laptop and Reaper, I have a New laptop that will run ANY music program with a large amount of VSTs and be extremely reliable, I work on computers, I know what to enable or disable to have a crash proof machine, I do however recommend an SSD drive and at least a middle of the line processor.  Now you can argue that you bypass all that with the Mimic, yes you do, but you are limited to the sounds in the module, with most other modules, you can have pretty much any Vsts you want, , I was doing this test back in 2010, I 'm sure with current tech the Mimic wouldn't be as versatile.
All that said, I still really like Steven Slate sounds, but I do also like other libraries. I haven't tested a Mimic, but I know Roland, and you have multiple adjustments, I believe that if someone can't find their perfect kit using the modules onboard sounds or VSTs, then they don't need to be messing with e-drums period. I would have a hard time choosing between a Roland TD-50 with the digital pads pack and a Mimic pro with ATV cymbals...