Author Topic: Amp placement during practice  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Mr.J.

Amp placement during practice
« on: October 30, 2016, 11:45:59 AM »
Hi all.

I have the DM1O mesh kit and I prefer to practice thru my 180 W amp (when the wife isn't home ;) )over using headphones. Right now I have the amp directly in front of my kit with the speakers facing me.

I'm curious to know if the amp may be better places behind me with the sound coming from behind me and thru the kit? I ask first because moving the amp would require me to move my kit first and not a 5 minute excersise.

For those who do practice with an amp would you please mind telling me where your amp is placed?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Dobly

Re: Amp placement during practice
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 12:54:27 AM »
This might sound simplistic, but put the amp where it sounds best and were is most practical to have it.

Also, if you are ever going to have the kit on stage, you'll more than likely need to have it behind you or next to you.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 09:49:22 PM »
For personal use I would recommend placing it to face you. Most floor drum monitors are angled up toward the player, if yours is not angled you may want to try tilting it toward you.  I have a 3 piece roland CM110 studio set, so the subwoofer is on the floor and the satellite speakers are up on stands facing me.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 10:42:34 PM »
I will add one thing.. I had mine behind me. But my vocal mic was aiming right at it when I was not singing. This put way to much drums in the front of house.

So I have moved it to my left. That works well as I have an ear bud with the click track in my right ear.

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 11:59:52 AM »
I have tried both in front of me and behind me.

Definitely behind me, in my practice space, works best for me. It's a 180 Watt amp so it gives me pretty good punch too.

I just find the audio connection between striking a pad and the audio feedback from the amp are paired perfectly.

Hopefully I can start jamming with some friends soon, that should really help determine the best placement.

Online AlanK

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 01:41:02 PM »
I would think if you only ever played for yourself then in front facing back at you would be the most realistic sounding as if you were behind an acoustic kit..but if you're jamming or playing shows, you may want to get used to the sound coming from behind you as it would need to be facing your mates, or the audience, so best to get used to that sound setup
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers