Author Topic: recordings on video  (Read 1244 times)

recordings on video
« on: January 04, 2020, 05:48:36 AM »
i like to record my self on video to see how i play and what mistakes i make and where i can improve.  when i check Youtube i see those kind of self recordings.  I wonder what gear has been used ?  any of you familiar with that ? 

I can use my line out for an audio feed. this will give a mix of music and drumset.  I also have a go pro.   what is the ideal setup ?  some kind of a webcam with audio in ?  what do you guys use ? 

Jeroen

Re: recordings on video
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 01:09:32 PM »

Does your GoPro Have a mic input?
if so, you can just use a headphone splitter and an aux cable. the connections are as follows:
From your music source (ipad, laptop, phone etc) to one end of the headphone splitter, from the splitter to the aux input of your drum module, the other end of the headphone splitter goes  into the Mic input of the GoPro, the audio for your headphones comes from your drum module. GoPro is ideal for this because of the wide angle lens, the only thing you need to do is to make sure to check the audio settings of the GoPro and turn the input down so it doesn't clip/distort. There are many other better ways, but they are more involved and require a lot more editing.
For examples of that setup see youtube user Lucyferina (me) playing a Roland TD-11 with multiple cymbals connected to an ipad as the music source and a GoPro Hero 2 as the video source.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 01:35:38 PM »

I have a Go pro 3 hero with a USB connector .. no Mic IN..  but there seem to be a adapter to a mini jack input.
I will order that adapter and see how it goes.  I will not use your splitter trick .. the splitter is made for audio OUT . when you use it as a combined audio IN connector its just a matter of time before 1 of the 2 sources will burn out .. I am an Audio technician and this is something i would not advise. 

better use the audio in from the drum module and the main out from the mudule to the recording device.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 10:35:49 AM »
I have a Go pro 3 hero with a USB connector .. no Mic IN..  but there seem to be a adapter to a mini jack input.
I will order that adapter and see how it goes.  I will not use your splitter trick .. the splitter is made for audio OUT . when you use it as a combined audio IN connector its just a matter of time before 1 of the 2 sources will burn out .. I am an Audio technician and this is something i would not advise.

better use the audio in from the drum module and the main out from the module to the recording device.

I should correct my prior post, the connections go as follows: from my ipad to the aux in on the module, from the headphones out of the module to a splitter, one side goes to my headphones, the other into the mic in on the go pro, which is NOT going to cause any damage to anything. sorry if I created confusion. but the other option is to just get a small behringer mixer and combine the two inputs and use the headphone out from there, your sound quality will suffer, ( I have one and I tried it that way there is a very noticeable difference), I also have a Focusrite sound card, that works fine but you need to involve a computer (laptop in my case) in order to use it. there are multiple ways to record, I just provided the simplest one. the best way is to record from the module out to a sound card and add the audio to your video later, you get the best quality that way, but you have to sync video and audio which can be a pain, by connecting the GoPro directly to your audio source, you don't have to sync, it will be already done, the only thing you have to do is to edit beginning and end of the video to remove any unwanted parts.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 02:04:21 PM »
Hi JeroenTune, I've tried a few ways as well over the years. I generally used the line out in the back of the module to my laptop to be picked up by a recording software (Audacity at first then I started using Ableton Live Lite). Comes in as an audio track. Then I bought Addictive Drums 2 and an audio interface (Tascam) so I get direct recording into Ableton as a midi track.

I've used various video recording equipment (nothing pro).. at first just my cellcam, then I bought an HP video recorder which is supposed to be highdef but isn't that great (and it's mic is crap).. my cellphone gets better audio. Now I have a Gear360 and it must have two mics and the quality for audio and video is pretty good but if I'm playing my DM10X through speakers it will pick up the ambient tapping, esp on the ride and hi-hat. So I'm trying to mute the audio in my video clips and then overlay the direct audio from Ableton as was mentioned.. and its indeed a pain to line things up.. if I really put a lot into it, I'd use a clap board or some stick hit somewhere as the way to line things up in the video editor but I'm still a newbie.

Also I've used various video editors, free ones, and many left watermarks or won't let me do some function like splitting or cropping but the old Microsoft Movie Maker seems to work well enough for my needs. I believe if you ever download Reaper recording software it has video tracks you can drop your movie into and line it up with your recording.. my Ableton is the lite version so it won't let me. It's quite the learning process. Last weekend I spent four hours with a pair of mics into a mixer into my Ableton sftwr trying to see if I could mic the room overhead style (partly for when the gang comes over to jam). I should be mic'ing their amps and putting my ekit directly into the software but I need a couple more mics still. One of the guys has a Zoom box to plug mic xlr's into and it records in there and you export a wave file.. again you'd have to match up your video file with the sound file.

But all in all my Gear360 or my Samsung S7's camera do the best quality recording and even the audio isn't that bad, so they can be a one stop shop and then I've easily got a video I can watch/listen to over and over to assess my playing. BTW, I managed to find a selfie stick that had a tripod option base, so now instead of propping my phone on a shelf or table and hoping it gets me in the view, I can stand it up higher on an little table in front or to the side and it's pretty stable, and came with a remote blutooth button to start/stop.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Iggford

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 10:17:30 AM »
Holy crap!!  I've been using reaper for the last 4 years or so, and I never even realized you could do video.  Just watched one of the tutorial videos on some of the presets and effects, and I think I'm going to switch over and give it a try with the next couple of band videos.  I've seen a couple forum posts saying it's a limited editor, but I don't do anything too fancy in my band videos, so it may be enough. 

It would be at least enough to be able to keep all my files together in one place!

--
Shawn

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 01:48:24 PM »
Thank you all for your posts !

Doggy , it makes really sense now .. i though you wanted to put 2 audio signals and mix them togehter by using a splitter.  your  explanation is very clear now.
I have ordered parts to make the righer cable connector from the line out to the Go pro USB connector. lets see if we can get any footage like that. 
 Yeah the click track trick will work also .. just  hit your stickt together 3 times and sync the video and audio on that.
I will keep you updated with my procces.

Thanx !

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 02:21:39 PM »
One other thing ..

WE all have a very good camera on us every day .. your mobile phone..  a full HD recording at 1080 must be posible these days.  but getting a line input is not always the most easy way to do . so i start browsing and found ehat i like.  please check out the Roland Go-mixer .   this little box has all kind of inputs that you can adjust and than send it by USB to I phone ore Andriod  and when you record video it will record from the Go- mixer..  i think a perfect alternative if you dont have a go pro ore cam like that. .  i am really into this .. if my go pro adventure wil not work out i will go the Roland GO  way ..

just an idea.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 12:17:51 AM »
I've used various video recording equipment (nothing pro).. at first just my cellcam, then I bought an HP video recorder which is supposed to be highdef but isn't that great (and it's mic is crap).. my cellphone gets better audio. Now I have a Gear360 and it must have two mics and the quality for audio and video is pretty good but if I'm playing my DM10X through speakers it will pick up the ambient tapping, esp on the ride and hi-hat. So I'm trying to mute the audio in my video clips and then overlay the direct audio from Ableton as was mentioned.. and its indeed a pain to line things up.. if I really put a lot into it, I'd use a clap board or some stick hit somewhere as the way to line things up in the video editor but I'm still a newbie.

Also I've used various video editors, free ones, and many left watermarks or won't let me do some function like splitting or cropping but the old Microsoft Movie Maker seems to work well enough for my needs. I believe if you ever download Reaper recording software it has video tracks you can drop your movie into and line it up with your recording.. my Ableton is the lite version so it won't let me. It's quite the learning process. Last weekend I spent four hours with a pair of mics into a mixer into my Ableton sftwr trying to see if I could mic the room overhead style (partly for when the gang comes over to jam). I should be mic'ing their amps and putting my ekit directly into the software but I need a couple more mics still. One of the guys has a Zoom box to plug mic xlr's into and it records in there and you export a wave file.. again you'd have to match up your video file with the sound file.

Interesting you mention this as it's what I've been looking into the past couple of weeks. Been wanting to record some drum covers. Maybe post to YouTube, maybe not. But I knew I didn't want to use the audio from the camera mic. So I've been bringing the MP3 into Studio One as a track and EZD2 as another. I can multitrack EZD2 to play around with the mics. Then I can record over the MP3 and export the mixdown. My first video actually came out well because I got extremely lucky that the audio/video lined up nicely without messing around. But I know that won't always be the case. A little research led me to some free editing software called DaVinci Resolve. The free version seems loaded with features and ... no watermark. Or at least that is what I was told in a YouTube video. I haven't used the software yet, just downloaded moments ago.
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs