Author Topic: DIY variable hi-hat controller for Trigger IO  (Read 17704 times)

DIY variable hi-hat controller for Trigger IO
« on: November 25, 2009, 05:10:13 AM »
Hi guys,

I am planning on DIYing a variable hih-hat controller that can be used on my acoutsic hi-hat stand, as part of my AtoE conversion.

However, whilst I am practical, my knowledge of electronics in very limited (non-existant?!), so would really be really greatful for some asistance.

Using Hellfire's idea and a similar product that is avaialable as inspiration, I am planning on using an FSR (Force Sensitive Resistor), such as from here:

http://www.oomlout.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=205

Having searched the net for information, and having no idea how to understand electrical schematics, the questions I have for you guys are:

1) What voltage does the Alesis Trigger IO output via the hi-hat inout?
2) Would this voltage be suitable/sufficient for the FSR?
3) How would I go about connecting the FSR to a jack socket - would I simply wire one of the FSR connectors to the Tip of the jack socket and wire the other FSR connector to the Sleeve of the jack socket?
4) Is there anything else that needs to be wired up (I notice the FSR from the above link comes with a 10k ohm voltage dividing resistor, but have no idea if this would be needed in this scenario)?

All help/suggestions welcomed!

Thanks,

A
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 06:31:03 AM by pre0ats »

Re: DIY variable hi-hat controller for Trigger IO
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:54:53 PM »
Have you tried making this yet?  If not, what are you currently using for your hihat control?  I wish I could help with your other questions but I'm only capable of following others' electronic endeavors.  ;D 

I'm using a light dimmer in a box connected to my foot pedal.  I really need to improve this setup though.  It's not nearly as precise as it should be.  And the variable aspect of my controller is almost non-existant.  I'm going to start another post just dealing with a DIY hihat controller used with the Trigger IO and see what the edrummer's suggest.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:32:03 AM »
Sefner,

Eventually, I did purchase the FSR and Voltage Divider circuit suggested in Hellfire's concept from here:

http://www.totalrobots.com/force-sensitive-resistor-05-p-910.html?main_page=product_info&products_id=910

http://www.totalrobots.com/voltage-divider-p-585.html

However, so far I have not been able to try it out (or my DIY AtoE drums), because Alesis Trigger IOs are completely out of stock in the UK until March.

As and when I have everything set up, I will make sure I post on here.

A

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 06:12:59 AM »
As a quick update, I just got my Trigger IO through and have had a quick play with the FSR and Voltage divider circuit, although nothing is fully connected up.

Although I've had problems with eDrum Monitor on my drum laptop, so haven't been able to fully set it up with my VST, I have been able to hook the FSR up to the Trigger IO and it works in sense that it switches between open and closed midi notes and produces 'foot chiks'. I have also hooked the Trigger IO up to another laptop and got it to work with eDrum Monitor and it shows the values moving up and down between 1 and 127 with more/less pressure, so looks promising.

In terms of connections, it was very simple:

- Attached the FSR to the voltage divider circuit via the terminal block on the circuit,
- Connected the lead supplied with the voltage divider circuit to the connection block on the the circuit,
- Cut off the connection block from the other end of the supplied lead,
- Attached the three wires of the lead to the tip, ring, and sleeve connections of a jack socket (temporarily clipped at this stage for testing).

At the weekend I will have more time to play with it and will try to remember to get some photos taken.

So far, so good....

A

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 02:55:25 PM »
I might copy this :).

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 11:55:44 AM »
As a quick update, I just got my Trigger IO through and have had a quick play with the FSR and Voltage divider circuit, although nothing is fully connected up.

Although I've had problems with eDrum Monitor on my drum laptop, so haven't been able to fully set it up with my VST, I have been able to hook the FSR up to the Trigger IO and it works in sense that it switches between open and closed midi notes and produces 'foot chiks'. I have also hooked the Trigger IO up to another laptop and got it to work with eDrum Monitor and it shows the values moving up and down between 1 and 127 with more/less pressure, so looks promising.

In terms of connections, it was very simple:

- Attached the FSR to the voltage divider circuit via the terminal block on the circuit,
- Connected the lead supplied with the voltage divider circuit to the connection block on the the circuit,
- Cut off the connection block from the other end of the supplied lead,
- Attached the three wires of the lead to the tip, ring, and sleeve connections of a jack socket (temporarily clipped at this stage for testing).

At the weekend I will have more time to play with it and will try to remember to get some photos taken.

So far, so good....

A
Sounds like a good project. Any photos yet?

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 04:32:03 AM »
Apologies for the delay guys - the AtoE conversion project took a back seat for a while, but I did finish it and I have now finally taken some photos.

Please follow the link below for a few photos of the FSR controller:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=403

Regards,

A

Offline Guinness

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 12:08:30 PM »
looks great.