Author Topic: Who Put the Cont in Controller?  (Read 3842 times)

Who Put the Cont in Controller?
« on: August 22, 2010, 04:38:53 AM »
Hey fellas. Quick question for ya. I'm waiting on a Roland TD3. I don't know too much about it, but I've read enough to know that it does require a variable hi-hat controller. A variable hi-hat controller some people like to call the FD8.
I guess, technically, that is an eff word. Not the eff word I've been using, but it is an eff word none the less.
What. Why you lookin at me like that?
Oh. Frustration. Frustration is the eff word I'm referring to. Since I've found out about this thing, I have been searching high and low for any kind of technical data that can give me some kind of clue as to what the hell a variable hi-hat controller has to do to do whatever it does do to make the module respond to the varying variables of the variable hi-hat controller. Not low.
But yeah. You google Roland FD8, you may realize at or around page 426 of 270,000, that maybe someone might wanna sell you one. And they all tell you the same darn thing, "Thanks to Roland's new FD-8 Hi-Hat Controller, drummers can get more realistic hi-hat sounds with smooth transitions between open and closed."
But no one wants to tell you how it does it. Nobody. No one at all. It's like a big secret or something.
Now I'm no rocket pharmacist, but I kinda get the feeling that it may work the same way a lot of these other variable hi-hat controllers work. But... With these other controllers, they may tell you a list of brand names that their product would work with, and the Roland TD3 doesn't seem to make the list. And I've heard about Rolands "Reverse polarity", and it makes me wonder...
I just halted progress on my DYM Variable Hi-Hat Controller. I'm at the point now where it's time to ask questions so I don't totally do something that may be unreversible. Kinda like the Celica I used to own. I had to park on an incline because it was unreversible. You try to put it in reverse and all you get is a neat sound and this burning smell.
Well... I want a neat sound, but I can live without the burning smell.
So... This is what I have so far. A pedal and a turny thing.
Now what?
No, I took the pot, gears and linkage out of an old wah pedal that was converted into a volume pedal before it became something used to help fill the vacant area in a box full of crap I don't know why I'm keeping. And I'm mounting that stuff to a spring loaded non variable hi-hat controller I had laying around.
I'm guessing the controller works on resistance, but I can't find which way the pot is supposed to turn, so I don't know which side I need to mount it on. I don't wanna end up with it wide open in the closed position, or worse than that... Totally wrong altogether.
So if one of you brain surgeonesque totally rad dudes can offer some advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks yo. 

When you see a mime doing that Trapped in a Box thing, I think a funny thing to do is punch him in the throat.
A12

Offline Guinness

Re: Who Put the Cont in Controller?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 06:01:34 PM »
I've been wanting to install a halls effect sensor in my hh pedal.  I haven't had the time to explore it yet.  But it seems like a good idea vs a resistance pot.

Do a search on vdrums for halls effect sensor, that's where the idea originated if you're interested.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 12:34:43 PM »
hi buddy
hope this helps http://scienceblogs.com/bushwells/2008/06/fun_with_resistive_position_se.php

according to your post and pics ,your on the right track .
you basically need a variable resistor that can be
a rotary pot - the type that you have pictured ,
a linear sliding potentiometer (pot)- basically the pots used in audio mixers and graphic equalizers .
a membrane potentiometer -the one in the link above ,which are used in most commercially available variable controllers .

the important things to consider are .
the value of the pot ,for your application i think a100k would be fine .
the bad thing about a rotary or linear pot is that they are not designed for large duty cycles ,that is they are going to ware off pretty soon as compared to the membrane type of variable resistor.
regarding the wiring ,you could just do a temporary connection and try out the pedal ,if the hi hat works in reverse ,you just interchange the wire/s connected to the extreme ends of the pot (leaving the center wire where it is)
all the best
have fun !!!
alesis DM5,TRIGGER IO,DM10  and lots of DIY stuff !!!

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 07:41:08 AM »
Wow. Thanks dudes. I'll look into these things. I tried a 100k rotary pot, but it didn't seem to do the trick. Luckily, I just used the pot and some jumpers and the rotary pot and trained a monkey to beat on the hi-hat while I tried to dial something in. It seems that it would fully close and open, but right there at the end, it would give me a half open sound. I don't know if the half way sound is the other option or if theres a whole range I'm just passing over and half-closed it's just what I'm picking up. But I'm back to my original foot thing thats only got the two options. Effing open, or effing closed. I mounted another pad right above my hihat pad to use as a loose, sloppy hihat when I need it until I can come up with something differnt (thats how we say it in Texas. Differnt).
Now, what my problem is, is what Roland calls "variable". Is it three positions? Or does it actually respond to the full range of the right resistance thing? I sure would hate to spend time and shiny beads on a three position hi hat controller.
But I'm dying to find out. And both of yalls ideas sound hopeful though. And very interesting. Hmm...
Thanks a lot, fellas.
When you see a mime doing that Trapped in a Box thing, I think a funny thing to do is punch him in the throat.
A12

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 09:03:05 AM »
hi ,
from what you say,i think you may have to use a smaller pot ,probably a 20k or 10k .
the resistance range ,the module detects is probable really small ,so say for example you have
1) o ohms ----closed sound (or open sound)
2) 100- 4 k ohms all the in between (half open) sounds
3)10k ohms open sound (or closed sound)
what is happening with a 100k pot is that your entire 0 to 10k range is covered in a jiffy ,(i'm sorry ,i was the guy to specify the 100k pot )
so in order to overcome this above mentioned problem .you will have to try a smaller value pot ,in order to maximize your range .
the only thing to keep in mind is ,the amount the shaft of the pot is turning .i don't think that you get much of rotation in the pedal ,that again reduces the range or the pot ,if you know what i mean .(that was the reason ,that i had thought of using a 100k.
keep trying
all the best:)
alesis DM5,TRIGGER IO,DM10  and lots of DIY stuff !!!