Author Topic: DM6 Mesh Conversion Help Needed  (Read 10475 times)

DM6 Mesh Conversion Help Needed
« on: August 21, 2010, 02:17:52 AM »
Ok so I don't want you guys to think I'm a forum noob, but I've been doing some searching around the forums here, and I can't find the answers I'm looking for. Maybe I just didn't see it or whatever but I need to ask this clearly so I don't fvck my set up..

Anyways so I picked up a DM6 USB set (for $300 off craigslist!). The kit is in good shape, it's very comfy and playable. I noticed later though that the snare head has cracks, and is probably about to break all together. So I want to do a whole conversion to mesh heads, for the snare and three toms... maybe the kick as well.

What I need to know is, am I'm sure it is, if this is possible. I've seen a lot of info on doing this to the DM10 heads but like I said, nothing specific to the DM6. Is there also a special conversion needed for the snare because of the rimshot lip? I don't know I'm really green on this so if someone could kindly point me in the right direction for a modification tutorial specific to the DM6 Heads, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Also, if they just have the mesh heads pre assembled, I guess that would be easier. Another question, is it possible to use dm10 heads with a dm6 module?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 03:14:55 AM by ScvJerk »
Visit my website to hear some good tunes..

http://scvjerk.fourfour.com

Offline Hellfire

Re: DM6 Mesh Conversion Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 12:48:40 PM »
Ok so I don't want you guys to think I'm a forum noob, but I've been doing some searching around the forums here, and I can't find the answers I'm looking for. Maybe I just didn't see it or whatever but I need to ask this clearly so I don't fvck my set up..

Anyways so I picked up a DM6 USB set (for $300 off craigslist!). The kit is in good shape, it's very comfy and playable. I noticed later though that the snare head has cracks, and is probably about to break all together. So I want to do a whole conversion to mesh heads, for the snare and three toms... maybe the kick as well.

What I need to know is, am I'm sure it is, if this is possible. I've seen a lot of info on doing this to the DM10 heads but like I said, nothing specific to the DM6. Is there also a special conversion needed for the snare because of the rimshot lip? I don't know I'm really green on this so if someone could kindly point me in the right direction for a modification tutorial specific to the DM6 Heads, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Also, if they just have the mesh heads pre assembled, I guess that would be easier. Another question, is it possible to use dm10 heads with a dm6 module?
Welcome to the ScvJerk.
I don't know if the DM6 snare can be converted. I have play a DM6 at the store and see the snare pad itself I don't see how one could convert it. With that said there is no reason why you can use a DM5 or DM10 Pro type trigger. The only thing is you will not have a rim trigger using those Pro type triggers. The reason for that is the DM6 uses a piezo/switch sensor set-up and the Pro type triggers use a piezo/piezo sensor set-up. I do believe you can convert the toms to mesh. There are no people here on the forum that have done that, but I know the DM6 uses the pads of the Medeli DD506 (same pads as the DD505, and 502 I believe) set. I have seen some Youtube videos showing how to convert those type of pads. Here are a couple videos that should help:

Medeli Fame Millenium EDRUM Mono Pad Conversion to mesh V2

DD505 EDRUM TO MESH HEAD

Those should get you in the right direction. Let us know how it goes. It would be nice if DMdrummer.com had a how to on how to convert the Alesis DM6 pads to mesh. Be sure to post pics as you do this. I'm sure many uses would like to know how to convert there DM6. Again, welcome to the forum.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:38:51 PM »

Welcome to the ScvJerk.
I don't know if the DM6 snare can be converted. I have play a DM6 at the store and see the snare pad itself I don't see how one could convert it. With that said there is no reason why you can use a DM5 or DM10 Pro type trigger. The only thing is you will not have a rim trigger using those Pro type triggers. The reason for that is the DM6 uses a piezo/switch sensor set-up and the Pro type triggers use a piezo/piezo sensor set-up. I do believe you can convert the toms to mesh. There are no people here on the forum that have done that, but I know the DM6 uses the pads of the Medeli DD506 (same pads as the DD505, and 502 I believe) set. I have seen some Youtube videos showing how to convert those type of pads. Here are a couple videos that should help:

Medeli Fame Millenium EDRUM Mono Pad Conversion to mesh V2

DD505 EDRUM TO MESH HEAD

Those should get you in the right direction. Let us know how it goes. It would be nice if DMdrummer.com had a how to on how to convert the Alesis DM6 pads to mesh. Be sure to post pics as you do this. I'm sure many uses would like to know how to convert there DM6. Again, welcome to the forum.

You know it's funny, RIGHT after I posted this thread, I found those same utube videos. Still though, this site should prove to be helpful.

Anyways so now what I'm considering is, getting a pre-assembled mesh head duel zone snare instead of even trying to attempt a conversion. I don't know where I'll find one, but I have a feeling that the mesh snare for the Roland V-Drum Lite will plug right in and work. My buddy has that set so I'm going to test that out.

I'll be trying the tom conversions shortly. I just need to gather some materials info. I'd like to do this without any wire/input conversion as well, because the toms are already duel zone.

Thanks for the help Hellfire, btw I like your site.
Visit my website to hear some good tunes..

http://scvjerk.fourfour.com

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:19:19 AM »
I have been looking into mesh kit conversions of the Alesis USB studio kit, and read that when plugging some pads of other manufacturers, chances may be that the signal may be too hot or cold (in other words you need to play softer or louder on the ALIEN pad).

Some modules allow calibration, others require you to open the pads,and remove (or add) a resistor.

Let us know how things have worked out!