Author Topic: drop in cake pans revisited  (Read 3412 times)

drop in cake pans revisited
« on: June 16, 2010, 03:24:35 AM »
Hi all you brave drummers! The cake pan idea interested me and sounded logical so I built them. Wow! They are the best trigger set up I have used yet, and that includes the store bought ones by the biggies! My DIY drums that I normally use on stage are all Pearl Firecracker snare conversions. I have several 10" and 12" models both wood and steel. So far I have just been converting my 10" drums.

Here is what I did:
 I found 9" X 2" Oneida brand cake pans at "Wallyworld" for $6.99 each.  The 9" pans fit perfectly inside both the wood and steel 10" drums.

I found some 3" metal discs in a hardware store. (I don't have a clue what they are supposed to be used for) I drilled each disc with a triangle pattern, then centered the disc inside the pan and drilled the pan to match.

Then I got rubber "panel grommets" (the type you use to keep a wire from being cut by the sharp edge of a round hole) and used small bolts to fasten the disc to the pan with the grommets in between (bolt through the disc>grommet>pan)

Then I glued a peizo in the center of the disc and wired it to a jack. The wire runs through a hole in the side of the pan and the jack mounts in the air hole on the drum. If you use the long guitar style jacks, these pans can be dropped into any drum in a few minutes without damage to the drum.

I then used Pintech replacement foam trigger stacks and Pintech mesh heads. The type of heads are not too important here but I think the trigger foam is. I have also tried this on my full sized kit hybrid that has triggers with normal Mylar heads and the same system is great.

What I noticed was about a 15-20% gain in trigger performance. The feel is very solid (I always have my mesh heads very tight). There seems to be a lot better dynamic control on the toms from a soft bomp to a thunder crack all at the same setting on my DM10 (I mostly use the Y tom setting on the DM10) No other trigger I have used has performed this well. But then again, the DM10 may be part of  the great response.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:23:26 AM by drumslinger50 »

Online Hellfire

Re: drop in cake pans revisited
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 10:12:45 AM »
Hi all you brave drummers! The cake pan idea interested me and sounded logical so I built them. Wow! They are the best trigger set up I have used yet, and that includes the store bought ones by the biggies! My DIY drums that I normally use on stage are all Pearl Firecracker snare conversions. I have several 10" and 12" models both wood and steel. So far I have just been converting my 10" drums.

Here is what I did:
 I found 9" X 2" Onida brand cake pans at "Wallyworld" for $6.99 each.  The 9" pans fit perfectly inside both the wood and steel 10" drums.

I found some 3" metal discs in a hardware store. (I don't have a clue what they are supposed to be used for) I drilled each disc with a triangle pattern, then centered the disc inside the pan and drilled the pan to match.

Then I got rubber "panel grommets" (the type you use to keep a wire from being cut by the sharp edge of a round hole) and used small bolts to fasten the disc to the pan with the grommets in between (bolt through the disc>grommet>pan)

Then I glued a peizo in the center of the disc and wired it to a jack. The wire runs through a hole in the side of the pan and the jack mounts in the air hole on the drum. If you use the long guitar style jacks, these pans can be dropped into any drum in a few minutes without damage to the drum.

I then used Pintech replacement foam trigger stacks and Pintech mesh heads. The type of heads are not too important here but I think the trigger foam is. I have also tried this on my full sized kit hybrid that has triggers with normal Mylar heads and the same system is great.

What I noticed was about a 15-20% gain in trigger performance. The feel is very solid (I always have my mesh heads very tight). There seems to be a lot better dynamic control on the toms from a soft bomp to a thunder crack all at the same setting on my DM10 (I mostly use the Y tom setting on the DM10) No other trigger I have used has performed this well. But then again, the DM10 may be part of  the great response.
Sounds good drumslinger50. Do you have any pictures?

Offline Guinness

Re: drop in cake pans revisited
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:05:40 PM »
Interesting.  I wonder if the piezo type/setup from pintech is the difference maker?