Author Topic: DM10 Studio Mesh Foldability  (Read 1618 times)

DM10 Studio Mesh Foldability
« on: September 27, 2016, 02:29:23 PM »
I want to buy a DM10 studio mesh or similar edrumset but am curious about the ability to easily fold and store it. I am limited on space currently and will only be able to play it in a multipurpose space. I have a nook where I can store it if it can somewhat easily fold up and tuck away. Does anyone who has this kit know how easy the sides are to fold in or if there is any simple mod that would make this into a workable solution? Do you need to use tools IE a drum key or are there wing nuts? I plan on storing it in the same place as I currently store my analog set which is stacked vertically. It is just a pain in the ass trying to put together an analog set every time I wanna play or practice so anything easier than a an analog set is a plus for me. Also what is the width of the center post? I have looked everywhere for this info and am at a loss. At the risk of being overly wordy, also is the hardware hefty enough to handle tightening and loosening regularly and if not is the rack a standard size where I can get better hardware? Thanks so much. I have been lurking for a while so I hope to contribute to this community soon.

Offline Sal

Re: DM10 Studio Mesh Foldability
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 10:32:53 AM »
The DM10 racks can be adjusted, but the connectors have a LOT of things to tighten/loosen in order to get things moving. These are not wingnuts, but essentially drum lugs, requiring a drum key for each one.

Theoretically, you could replace all of these with wingnuts, I guess, allowing you to quickly tighten or loosen each one and get them folded. You'd also need to think about lining up the drums on the wings with those on the center rack to get things folded neatly.

Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 02:18:07 PM »
Thanks Sal that's pretty much what I thought it would be like, I may run to lowes when it comes in and see if I can rig something up without modifying much. But it sounds like either way it will be quicker than setting up an entire analog set.

Offline Sal

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 09:05:47 AM »
Exactly! I don't think it would be too hard to set up wingnuts. Looking at the newer kits, it seems Alesis also noticed the issues with having drum lugs hold together their racks, and there are lot of wingnuts on the connectors now (starting with the Forge kit).
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 09:46:54 AM »
I've never made the comparison, but it's possible the standard cymbal stand wing bolts are the same thread size as drum lugs.. you may be able to buy a couple or a pack of them at a music store and if that studio kit frame is like the DM10X frame, you may be able to get away with replacing the lug from the single end of the joiners.. I find if I need to make an adjustment to my frame I can usually get away with loosening just the single lug side of each connector and then swivel the frame where I want it, then tighten that lug up again...

so if your frame connector pieces have three lugs, two on one end and one on the other, try replacing just the one and see if it allows enough give to swivel your side frames inwards (I'd swivel one side in on the inside and the other in on the outside, you may not even have to raise or drop the toms if they happen to snuggle in above the frame or below it when it is folded up, or may only need a minor lift or drop).

I used to have a smaller kit at a friends and he also had a little 2x3 nook and we'd fold the kit up easily like an S (Z?) and I'd just tilt the toms one way or another and it came together really nicely.. even with the lug bolts I'd just loosen one of them and it would pack away in two minutes.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 10:35:38 PM »
Thanks so much for the input everyone. It will be here Tuesday I can hardly wait.