Author Topic: Monitors for DM10  (Read 3224 times)

Monitors for DM10
« on: May 25, 2010, 08:11:21 AM »
Hello all,

I am wondering if the active speakers (monitors) Alesis M1 MK2 are sufficient to link to my next DM10 studio?
Of course, it is not to use on stage, it is only to use instead the headphone.
New drummer, and I am waiting my DM10 Studio !
Mac friend.

Re: Monitors for DM10
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:08:58 AM »
I'll take a stab at answering, and I guess others can chime in if I'm off base...

If it were me, personally, I wouldn't plug monitors directly into the main outputs from the DM10.  If I was intent on using the main outputs, I think I'd plug them into either a dedicated e-drum amp (like this: http://www.alesis.com/transactivedrummer) or a keyboard amp or something.  Plugging in monitors directly might work... but thats certainly not what they are meant for.  Monitors (at least, in general) are made for mixing music etc. and are not designed to provide chest-thumping bass, so for that reason alone they wouldn't be my first choice for plugging into the DM10.  I know from hanging around studio design / mixing forums that many who mix bass-heavy music use a pair of monitors PLUS a subwoofer.  If you have a need for monitors other than just your drum kit (mixing music etc.) then all my advice might not apply though.

If you wanted something simple, just to make noise so you don't have to wear headphones all the time, you could do something like what I have for a lot cheaper than a nice pair of monitors (or a drum amp) anyway.  Here's what I'm using (http://www.etronics.com/p-84608-altec-lansing-641-altec-lansing-641-400w-5piece-digital-speaker-system.aspx?dp=22F2221222E622425373F363C3B3578363637333137313)  Its just a basic subwoofer / satellite speaker system made for PCs... the key is that it has a 3.5mm aux. input jack on it.  Just run a male to male 3.5mm cable from the DM10 headphone output to the input on the stereo system and you're good to go.  Any system with an aux. jack would work, its just a question of how big / loud / bassy do you want to get...

Hope that helps... good luck!

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:37:57 AM »
Thank you for your response. You confirm that I thought, I need to add a bass speaker (subwoofer - sorry my english is poor!).
New drummer, and I am waiting my DM10 Studio !
Mac friend.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:38:11 AM »
Get a Simmons DA200S amp.  It's small, it's cheap ($299 at Musician's Friend), and it sounds awesome.  And if you're just using it at home, the subwoofer will gie you more than enough thump.  I had my doubts since it's only a 12" speaker, but as soon as I turned it on and hit the kick, I was knocked out.  For a small stage monitor or for home use, it can't be beat!