Author Topic: Easiest options for recording DM10 to PC?  (Read 3539 times)

Easiest options for recording DM10 to PC?
« on: May 20, 2010, 11:32:21 AM »
I assume that I should make use of this USB connection, but do I have to get something like EZDrummer, or can I use the USB as a line-in and record straight to whatever track program or even the Windows WAV recorder?
Merlin Coryell
www.facebook.com/merlincoryelldrums
Ludwig & Alesis Drums
Zildjian, Wuhan, & Factory Metal Cymbals
Axis and Gibraltar Hardware

Offline Guinness

Re: Easiest options for recording DM10 to PC?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 12:03:43 PM »
i go main out to trs mini jack in direct to sound card.  Then in windows (XP), I select "line in".  If there's a better way, I'd certainly like to know.  :)

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:07:11 PM »
the USB is used for system updates and other MIDI communications (triggering, etc) between the DM10 and your computer.  as such, you'll need a VST to play the sounds.

easiest still would be to use the MAIN audio out and route it to your computer.
DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 01:20:35 PM »
I would try one of two things:

1) Record the main outs from the DM10 into a sound card line in - you may need an insert cable (2 x 1/4" phono to a 1/8" or 1/4" TRS phono jack)

2) ( a bit more work but provides more flexibility ) Use the usb jack to capture your performance into a sequencer. Then you have the option of recording that performance to a DAW using whatever kit you like, or a VST.

Good luck!
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 01:22:47 PM »
So if I have a standard boring soundcard, I can just run from main out (mono) to a 1/8" adapter into the normal line-in?

If so, that friggin rocks.
Merlin Coryell
www.facebook.com/merlincoryelldrums
Ludwig & Alesis Drums
Zildjian, Wuhan, & Factory Metal Cymbals
Axis and Gibraltar Hardware

Offline Guinness

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 02:43:37 PM »
So if I have a standard boring soundcard, I can just run from main out (mono) to a 1/8" adapter into the normal line-in?

If so, that friggin rocks.

Yes.  get a 1/4 TS to TRS 1/8 Y cable, plug into the 'microphone' or 'line-in' on your sound card and you're set.  On mine, I have to choose which input WinXP sees...  so, I have to switch to line-in (from microphone) when recording.  i could just plug into the mic jack instead, but it's easier for me to just change the XP setting, than digging through the rats nest and unplug and plug jacks.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »
you could try this, too - if you didn't already have a cable - the alesis lineLink.
http://alesis.com/linelink
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.